Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI shop and shipper near LA, and purchasing cross country reccomendations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 05:25 PM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPI shop and shipper near LA, and purchasing cross country reccomendations.

Hello All,

Just a brief history on my 964 journey. I started searching for one in 2011 when prices for a nice example were going for 30s. Thought to myself, I could get into a new BMW 335 for not much more. Went that route and sold after 4 years. Searched for a 964 again in 2014 and prices were eye-popping - good ones going for 55K. Again, I decided to do a European delivery on an F80 M3 for not much more. Just sold it after 3 years of ownership and won't make the same mistake a 3rd time. The 964 has long been a car I've lusted after and a dream to own one has never been greater.

So now that we have that out of the way. I've located a 964 that I'm ready to purchase near LA and hoping fellow RLers can help me get into my first P-car!

- What reputable shops can perform a good PPI near LA? What can I expect in terms of cost to perform a good PPI?

- What shipping companies are recommended? I live in PA so it is basically going cross country. Also, I'm assuming shipping typically runs a littler over $1k?

- Lastly, this will be my first time buying a car this way from a private party. I've purchased from a dealership before and that usually goes pretty smoothly. What are the normal protocols for private sale when dealing with such high dollars?

Thanks in advance!
Hung
Old 07-21-2017, 06:01 PM
HDA
Three Wheelin'

Received 176 Likes on 94 Posts

Book a flight, go see it / drive it / feel it.

for shipping I always used UShip.

cheers,
Andre
Old 07-21-2017, 06:13 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts

Buddy of mine had a car delivered this morning in Houston, all the way from California. Shipper was PLYCAR. Came recommended to him. Seems like they did a good job.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

+1 go see the car. TRE in Van Nuys and TLG in North Hollywood are both great shops - no affiliation to them, but well respected. Best of luck!
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 07-21-2017, 06:37 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Intercity for shipping and a little birdie told me that they'll have a truck in LA early next week if you think you can get everything together by that time.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:20 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

WHERE in the LA Area is it?
Old 07-21-2017, 08:53 PM
Nylasurf
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
WHERE in the LA Area is it?
He's right...where "near LA" is it as that covers a large swath of area. Lots of great shops...Had my PPI (the second one) done at Callas Rennsport and can say Tony is a stand up guy and extremely detail oriented. He is in Torrance not too far from LAX (20 min south) but if your car is East of the 710 Fwy, North of Santa Monica, or South of Long Beach, you are looking at 1 hr drive to the shop. At that point there are probably many great shops nearer to the car.

IMHO - I would drive to see Tony and his team.
Old 07-21-2017, 10:08 PM
spartansix
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 223 Posts

If I were going to buy a 964 sight unseen in LA, the guy I'd trust is Dorian Valenzuela of DV Mechanics. He left Singer and opened his own shop working on old Alfas and air cooled 911s.

That said, I'd probably fly and drive
Old 07-22-2017, 12:59 AM
palmxp3
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Car is in Irvine, so I'll have to see which one may be the most convenient and has an opening to see the car. I would love to fly over and make a trip out of it at the same time. Unfortunately, due to family obligations that will not be possible. I will have to put a lot of trust in the buyer and the shop performing the PPI.

Does anyone have experience with purchasing a car sight unseen from a private seller? I'm trying to do all my due dilligence to protect myself in the transaction.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:17 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by palmxp3
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Car is in Irvine, so I'll have to see which one may be the most convenient and has an opening to see the car. I would love to fly over and make a trip out of it at the same time. Unfortunately, due to family obligations that will not be possible. I will have to put a lot of trust in the buyer and the shop performing the PPI.

Does anyone have experience with purchasing a car sight unseen from a private seller? I'm trying to do all my due dilligence to protect myself in the transaction.
I have done this twice, once with a 928 which didn't turn out too well and my second time is with the incoming 964 Targa. I'm hoping this one goes well. I had a full PPI done with leak down and compression test along with paint meter testing of all panels to confirm paint originality. I also looked closely at any records and did a carfax to confirm mileage and overall maintenance. Ask for pictures of the frunk with the spare tire, tools, jack etc. Also ask for close up pictures of the seats and other high wear areas. Make sure the pictures are high resolution and uncompressed.

Bottom line is that you have to trust the seller, having conversations and asking lots of questions helps. I spent nearly two hours talking to my seller, only half of that was about the car and the rest was his life story. Overall it game me enough confidence to buy without seeing the car.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:21 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

BBI Autosport.
Sleepers speed shop
Vision motorsports.

If you decide to buy the car pm me. I'll help connect with a broker for shipping.

It's simple: if you want the car, get pictures of the vin and title, imrun a carfax just for mileage consistency and salvage check, talk to owner, ask lots of questions, if good , wire money, organize to ship the car. Wait. Get car. Plan to spend 10% fixing stufff.

If you use BBI pm me when car is there I'll put eyes on it if I'm in town. I need to visit to checkup on my 964.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:43 AM
lloyd_christmas
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 15 Posts

My experience was in slightly the opposite direction than you are going, but just shipped a Macan Turbo from Texas to LA two weeks ago and used Montway Auto Transport.

They were by far the cheapest for enclosed transport ($500 lower than next best) and car was picked up in less than a week and arrived three days with no issues. Would highly recommend whether or not cost is an important criteria.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:02 PM
MikeP.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for spartansix's recommendations. Both of them.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:05 AM
apanossi
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 Callas, but if it's anything decent, you may not get a chance for a ppi. Just expect to fix things here and there and buy it. I bought 2 964s in the past sight unseen, including my current widebody which was on the East coast. The reputation of the seller and his/her knowledge are what I go with most times to see if they are truly enthisiasts or flippers. I did my own ppi once the cars arrived in my garage. I wouldn't recommend this with too many cars but if you take your time with a ppi, then the car will likely go...to a guy like me. 😉
Old 07-25-2017, 01:31 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Robert does all the work on my 964. Honest and does an excellent job. Also 10-15mins from irvine.

Robert Tasedan
Auto Strasse Corp
(949) 645-1928
http://autostrassecorp.com/

Quick Reply: PPI shop and shipper near LA, and purchasing cross country reccomendations.