Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight project - Engine out - what to change?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 04:28 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lightweight project - Engine out - what to change?

My 964 is undergoing a full paint job, from the shell out, and the engine is currently sat out with a shop to service it and fix some minor leaks. I don't have the car history, and since the engine is out I wanted to do as much maintenance and precautionary part replacement as possible. I already purchased a full major service kit, new ignition wires, and air intake. Also have a full 964RS clutch and LWFW kit ready to be installed. Recently replaced the engine mounts with RS mounts. Full suspension from Elephant Racing. Lots of other parts to make the car lighter, including BBS e88.

What are the main parts that I should look at replacing? I have personally dropped and worked on my SC engine (3.0) but not sure to what extent the 3.6 is similar. I'm thinking oil pressure sensor, but also non-engine sensors like oil level and fuel level sender since the car is being stripped naked. I'd appreciate any input from the 3.6 gurus, thanks!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:09 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I would inspect and possibly replace all of the rubber hoses - fuel, oil, vent and brakes. Good luck with the project. Sounds exciting.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:51 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 567 Likes on 339 Posts

I've had the same opportunity and figure it's better to future proof the next 27 years than get a few more years out of old serviceable equipment. I did the crankshaft sensor on the first drop and am now doing the cylinder head temp sensor. Otherwise as above I'd do the rubber pipes.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:16 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Can the sensors be changed without major disassembly?

I'll definitely do the rubber pipes, thanks for that!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by bhgt2
Can the sensors be changed without major disassembly?

I'll definitely do the rubber pipes, thanks for that!
yes, all of the sensors are external to the engine.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:00 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You can see what I did on my 89 carrera. Once in 30yr thing right?

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...l#post14147568
Old 07-22-2017, 05:55 PM
bhgt2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
yes, all of the sensors are external to the engine.
Great!

Originally Posted by Spyerx
You can see what I did on my 89 carrera. Once in 30yr thing right?

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...l#post14147568
Fortunately or unfortunately I am more well versed in the 3.0 and 3.2 engines since I do my own work, but with this project I just don't have the time.. your thread is very useful, especially since the 3.2 engine is next to get cleaned up.. thankfully it still runs great..

Need to visit the shop and inspect the engine myself and make a parts list.. so much to do, so little time!
Old 07-23-2017, 02:11 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by bhgt2
Great!

Fortunately or unfortunately I am more well versed in the 3.0 and 3.2 engines since I do my own work, but with this project I just don't have the time.. your thread is very useful, especially since the 3.2 engine is next to get cleaned up.. thankfully it still runs great..

Need to visit the shop and inspect the engine myself and make a parts list.. so much to do, so little time!
PM me your email I'll send you my 3.2 list. It's really long. Mine runs really great too, it just needed a clutch, so dropped motor and 'while in there' is that thread :-)

If my 91 C2 hadn't been fully refreshed before I got it including a full motor and trans rebuild I'd do the same thing.

I basically replaced every rubber hose, every breather line, every vacuum line, all the fuel lines, all the rubber gaskets (not motor seals, only valve covers there, and top of motor), all the sensors, the intake boots and spacers, and well, pretty much everything that can 'wear'. New plugs, belts, valve adjust, new clutch, fuel filter, oil filter/change, and zinc plated all the shiny bits, new fan, water/glass blasted all the natural metal bits, clear coat painted the fan, etc etc. :-)

So on the C2, kinda would the same. I just navigated the PET for several evenings making a list and checking prices.

Oh, oil lines, i replaced a couple, but they were in good shape. They are $$$ I'd get those referbed vs. new most likely.
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 AM
bhgt2
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spyerx
PM me your email I'll send you my 3.2 list. It's really long. Mine runs really great too, it just needed a clutch, so dropped motor and 'while in there' is that thread :-)

If my 91 C2 hadn't been fully refreshed before I got it including a full motor and trans rebuild I'd do the same thing.

I basically replaced every rubber hose, every breather line, every vacuum line, all the fuel lines, all the rubber gaskets (not motor seals, only valve covers there, and top of motor), all the sensors, the intake boots and spacers, and well, pretty much everything that can 'wear'. New plugs, belts, valve adjust, new clutch, fuel filter, oil filter/change, and zinc plated all the shiny bits, new fan, water/glass blasted all the natural metal bits, clear coat painted the fan, etc etc. :-)

So on the C2, kinda would the same. I just navigated the PET for several evenings making a list and checking prices.

Oh, oil lines, i replaced a couple, but they were in good shape. They are $$$ I'd get those referbed vs. new most likely.
Sounds like the right approach.. did you get all oem parts or did you "upgrade"? For my 3.0 project I bought custom fuel lines from a member on Pelican who makes them.. I need to get my hands on the 964 PET as well..

Quick Reply: Lightweight project - Engine out - what to change?