Notices

The rebuild begins ...

Old 01-16-2006, 12:54 PM
sundog
Race Director

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Over the Christmas break I fully dissasembled the case, crank, and cam/rocker assembly. Began cleaning of all parts with a new parts washer, making the process less painful.

Pistons & Cylinders are good. Cams look good. Need to replace a couple of rocker shafts due to poor assembly by previous rebuilder.

The case, crank, rods, and heads are at Jerry Woods Enterprises to be evaluated, reconditioned, machined, and cleaned. I am hoping to see them again near the end of January.

I can't order parts until I hear back about the reconditioning process, so I will hopefully begin rebuilding in early february.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sundog,

I am going to get my case cleaned, and crank micropolished right away, but I am still looking for the right solution for my cylinder head gasket problem.

Ideally a set of used pistons/cylinders will show up on ebay for cheap and I can then just send my heads off for the update.

I have considered buying a new set of p/cs but I am not sure who has the best price.

Kirk
Old 02-02-2006, 04:59 AM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

UPDATE:

-Case in in for cleaning
-Crank is being magnafluxed, micropolished.
-Received a set of used Pistons & Cylinders from L.A. dismantlers today. They are from a 33k 1994 C2.

Now if I could just get a machine shop to respond to my emails I would be set. (I guess I will have to break down and phone one of these places. yuck.)
I tried emailing competition Engineering, but nothing back from them.

I would like to send someone the heads, cylinders, pistons and rods and have the following work done:

-Dissassemble & Clean Parts
-Inspect & Evaluate Pistons & Cylinders
-Deglaze Cylinders
-Inspect & Evaluate Rods, install new bushings.

-Disassemble, clean & inspect heads
-Modify early C4 heads for updated cylinders
-Install New Valve Guides as required
-Replace Valve Springs as required
-Valve Job

I figure I had better send the stuff to the US, because there just isnt very many porsches around here, and it would be expensive if they made a mistake.

Kirk
Attached Images   
Old 02-02-2006, 12:34 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also try
http://www.drcamshafts.com for camshft grind
and
Ted Robinson
German Precision
Porsche machining
1270 Lawrence Station Road #H
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
Phone 408/747-0728
Fax 408/747-0782
for valve job.
Old 02-04-2006, 06:27 AM
Crivens
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is thinking of building a website and recording their projects,

use my systems please.

www.projectsonly.co.uk

or www.red964.com

the latter being uniquely car related.

ta vury much
Old 03-20-2006, 01:42 AM
sundog
Race Director

Default Potential cause of Spun Bearing?

Ok, my daughter and I began removing the entire oil system today. When removing the oil breather lines in the right hand side wheel well, I saw a 4", (10 cm), crack in the line. Tons of road debris combined with oil all over the wheel well and pipes. The inside of the breather tube had a ton of debris in it!

I have no idea how this happened as it does not look like there is anything up there to "cut it". We will be removing the remainder of the oiling system this week.

On the good side, I got the case, heads, crank and rods back from Jerry Woods Enterprises last week, and am ready to start the reassembly!
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2006, 12:27 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Bryan, which hose was that? Do you have a PET pic to mark up?
Old 03-20-2006, 10:09 PM
sundog
Race Director

It's either #31, or #37 on the PET illustration 104-01. Both are labeled as breather hose.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Kirk,
can you tell me what is involved in the cylinder head update. I noticed you bought a later set of p&c's. What machine work is involved in setting up the earlier cylinder heads. What do you estimate the update cost to be?
Is is possible to update the old stye p&c's and cylinders to accept sealing rings?

TIA,
Colin
Old 03-20-2006, 11:40 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Sundog,

Nice to see you are making som progress! All of my parts are off at Rennsport systems in Oregon right now for machining. I doubt they will be back much before May. In the meantime I have been cleaning up porsche parts, etc.
What are you planning on using to seal the case halves? There has been alot of discussion about the different options on the Pelican Parts rebuilding forum. I am thinking of using threebond for mine.
Not sure what to put on the through bolt o-rings or cylinder base o-rings though. curil - t maybe?

Kirk
Old 03-20-2006, 11:58 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Colin,

As you probably know Porsche 964s up to mid 1990 did not have cylinder head gaskets. Cars which leaked during their warranty period were repaired by porsche. The official repair involved replacing the pistons/cylinders with the later style which had a groove machined into the mating surface, and machining the heads with a matching groove.

The older pistons & cylinders cannot be machined for this porsche repair because there is not enough mating surface on the cylinder side. Also there is a theory that the reason some of these cars leaked oil was not necessarily because of the lack of head gasket but rather that the mating surface was too narrow on the original p/c's and that there was some warpage when the heads are torqued down. (many cars and many porsche engines did not have head gaskets and don't leak)

If you wanted to keep your original p/c's there are two choice available. Machine shops can resurface your heads/cylinders flat for a seal that doesn't leak or they can machine a groove that will fit a 930 style fire ring. Both repairs are supposed to have a high success rate.

Attached is the porsche TSB on the repair procedure.

And thats about all I know.

Kirk
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
19404.pdf (87.1 KB, 625 views)
Old 03-21-2006, 01:59 AM
sundog
Race Director

I am going to use a combination of threebond, and loctite 574 on the case halves. Based on all my research this seems to be the best. Next to Dow 730, which is wicked expensive.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The rebuild begins ...