Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   DIY - 964 (1989 - 1994 911) (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-964-1989-1994-911-129/)
-   -   Another DIY: Replacing your turn signal assembly (https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-964-1989-1994-911/251973-another-diy-replacing-your-turn-signal-assembly.html)

Marc Shaw 02-02-2006 10:19 PM

Another DIY: Replacing your turn signal assembly

For some time now, my left turn signal has not automatically cancelled.

I decided to combine a replacement of the turn signal assembly with a change to a new steering wheel (photos of that to come). :)

There a number of different turn signal assemblies available, depending on options installed on the car (cruise, computer, etc). I purchased p/n 964.613.335.00 for my car (cruise/headlight washer/no computer) from www.automotion.com.

Total time (including pictures and some confusion) for the swap was about 2 hours. I used Joey's excellent DIY as a starting point.

Marc Shaw 02-02-2006 10:20 PM

Step 1

1 Attachment(s)
Disconnect the battery and wait a minumum of 20 minutes to be able to safely remove the airbag.

Using a T-30 screwdriver, undo the two Torx screws behind both sides of the steering wheel to remove the airbag.

The airbag the can be lifted out. Unplug the connector and safely store the airbag facing upwards out of the reach of children and/or driver's of Honda's with coffee-can exhaust systems.

Turn the steering wheel to centre the wheels and mark TDK using a permanent marker on the end of the steering shaft.

Then undo the centre nut (pointed out in red below) using a 15/16" socket with an extension. Remove the nut and washer then lift the steering wheel off of the steering shaft.

Step 2

1 Attachment(s)
Pictured is the steering shaft and column with the horn contact ring. The wire with the red plug is for the airbag.

The next step is to remove the plastic surround around the column. This requires removing the 4 screws on the front (red arrows) and the 2 smaller screws (one on each side - blue arrows).

Step 3

1 Attachment(s)
With the screws removed, gently lift the upper surround off then wrestle the lower one off. The lower one is tricky, especially around the cruise control arm. It takes a little wrangling but it can be done - it was made easier by pulling the cruise control stalk forwards slightly.

Step 4

1 Attachment(s)
Pictured is the steering column with the plastic surround removed. Visible better now is the horn contact ring and, behind that, the turn signal assembly.

Step 5

1 Attachment(s)
Mark TDC on the white plastic ring of the horn contact ring using a permanent marker.

To remove the horn contact ring, undo the two screws holding it in place (red arrows) and then gently pry it forwards off the splines of the steering shaft which it is press-fit around. Take your time doing this and use a wide screwdriver - mine was very tight and I imagine it is very easy to snap this piece. :crying:

Step 6

1 Attachment(s)
Gently pull the wire from the bottom of the turn signal assembly forwards from under the dash and unplug the keyed connector.

There might be a small zip tie securing the wires in place that needs to be sniped as suggested here and here. This zip tie is not always there as I and others have not found one so, if the wires don't come easily, check before you yank! :)

Marc Shaw 02-02-2006 10:21 PM

Step 7

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the back of the horn contact ring - the catch to cancel a turn signal can be seen. Mine was broken which might have been a reason for the turn signal to not cancel automatically.

Step 8

1 Attachment(s)
The wires for the horn contact ring do not have to be disconnected

Step 9

1 Attachment(s)
This just leaves the turn signal assembly.

Flipping the turn signal makes a small lever flip out near the steering shaft and the catch on the back of the horn contact ring is supposed to flip it back to cancel the signal. On mine, it would properly release turning right but would stick when turning left -- hence, the problem I am trying to fix.

It might be possible to fix this but, since it is a sealed box that is riveted together, I decided to just replace it -- I'll take it apart some day and post pictures of the innards (edit: I sold it on eBay instead so no pictures, sorry). :)

Step 10

1 Attachment(s)
Using an 8 mm socket, loosen the bolt on the bottom of the turn signal assembly that holds the assembly to the steering column. Unplug the two large keyed plugs on the back of the turn signal assembly and pull it forwards and off the column.

Step 11

1 Attachment(s)
Visible now is the bare steering column and shaft with the large plugs from the back of the turn signal assembly as well as the smaller plug that we disconnected earlier.

Marc Shaw 02-02-2006 10:22 PM

Step 12

2 Attachment(s)
Here are views of the front and back of the turn signal assembly.

Marc Shaw 02-02-2006 10:22 PM

Step 13

Re-installation is just the reverse of the above.

Slide the new turn signal assembly onto the steering column and plug the large keyed plugs into the back of it. Position the assembly on the column leveled and tighten the bolt on the bottom using the 8 mm socket - I could not find a torque value for this so I just made sure it was tight.

Plug the wire from the assembly into the dash plug again and push the wires back into the dashboard.

Put the horn contact ring back on, rotated so the mark for TDC is oriented correctly (this makes sure the catch to cancel the turn signal assembly in the right place). Secure the horn contact ring back in place using the two screws.

At this point, I made sure the new assembly worked by turning the key to the first position to undo the steering lock and slipped the steering wheel back on. I tried the turn signal for both left and right turns to make sure turning the wheel cancelled it properly - it did.

Wrestle the lower plastic surround back on to the bottom and then top and secure using the 6 screws (4 on the front, 2 on the sides).

Put the steering wheel back on with the washer and nut. Tighten to 33 ft.lb. DO NOT tighten the bolt by pushing against the steering lock - hold the steering wheel and tighten.

Lift the airbag back into place and plug it in. Secure the airbag using the T-30 torx bolts on the back of the steering wheel again.

Reconnect the battery and check for the airbag warning light - there should not be one but if there is, you will need 5 minutes with a Bosch Hammer or a trip to the dealer to get it cancelled.

mark lintott 02-03-2006 03:52 PM

turn signal renew

Hi Marc

Brilliant write up - v clear.
Just one question. What makes the airbag warning light come on after re-installation? Is this related to how long you leave the battery disconnected at the begining - 20 mins I think you said. Planning to change my wheel tomorrow and I don't want to have a warning light come on unnecessasarily.

Thanks anyway

Mark