Ceramic resistor for A/C Radiator fan install

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool Ceramic resistor for A/C Radiator fan install

All the pending projects were on hold due to vacations, work, life... you guys know how it is...

So I had replaced the Ceramic resistor for the oil cooler when my fan was not turning off... turns out there are two of them... the other one for a similar task but for the AC.

The resistor is located under the front fender on the left hand side.

Start by removing the wheel and the fender liner. There are two, just remove the one towars the front of the wheel. You will see the A/C condenser and the fan..

The green circle marks the area where the resistor is located...

Old 08-07-2005, 12:04 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Close-up:

You should be able to just undo the bolt that is in the middle with a 4mm allen wrench... unplug, plug new one, bolt back (with the supplied washer under the resistor and done! But that is IF you are lucky... the bolt in mine was a pile of rust. So trying the easy way to replace this was not going to happen... so... I started to remove a few items to make it easier to remove the old resistor...

I removed the fan. Just undo the 4 10mm nuts that are in each corner and pull out. There are four flat washers so of you can't take them out when getting the nuts out look out for them when they fall on the floor...

I removed the front undertray to get to the bolts that hold the condenser

the front one only needs to be loose... no need to take the nut out since the base slides out without problem

remove 13mm nut...

There is a 10mm inside the fender area. Also remove the rod that supports the fender. Once removed you can slide the condenser out a bit to work on the back (careful with the attached lines)... I use a mirror to look behind and to avoid pulling the condenser too much to the front.

(BTW, this is also a good time to deal with fixing the smile in the car if yours is bent

)

This is what the condenser looks like once is loose...

Old 08-07-2005, 12:29 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Like I said... the old one came out but not without a fight... I had to break it in pieces with some pliers and to be able to grab the bolt and turn it...

But it came out...

New one goes in (remember the metal washer and to align the notch in the washer and the resistor with the small bump that is in the metal):

Install a new bolt with flat washer (I could not find one is stainless steel... so had to do away with the same style it had).

Assembly is, as they say, the reverse...
Old 08-07-2005, 12:34 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Mount the condenser back on its supports... put the 10mm bolt, 10mm nut, 13mm nut...

Install the fan back in place...

There are some rubber seals under the condenser mount and the fan... remember to insert those back in place...

Remember to reconnect the the fan

Install under tray and fender liner... wash hands (hopefuly you are using gloves...) and have a cold one...

(now I need to continue with the brakes, as you can see in that second-to-last photo I am doing new rotors and pads... and painting the calipers red)...

Quick Reply: Ceramic resistor for A/C Radiator fan install