Notices

Cleaning longitudinal accelerometer

Old 05-02-2005, 03:15 AM
CentralLine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning longitudinal accelerometer

Part A:
Thanks for all the pictures and advice. I actually had no problem getting into the part that is described in the above replies... just pop off the top. It was actually the other accelerometer that I was having trouble getting open. I ended up using 4 micro-screwdrivers under the 4 tabs while I inched (mm'ed actually) the unit out... only managing to break one of the tabs in the process and scoring the crap out of everything else. Luckily nothing (appeared) to be nicked inside. And actually there didn't appear to be anything to clean. So unless someone has more to add, I would not bother opening the accelerometer closest to the front of the car.

Part B:
As far as cleaning the "back" accelerometer (or lateral as it is called) I used a micro-screwdriver to remove the big clumps of magnetized metal shavings that formed between the copper plate and the magnet at the end of the "arm" part of the sensor. Then I passed a sheet of paper between the magnet and the copper looking sensor plate to remove more clumps. Lastly I used compressed air from my compressor to blow out the rest of the metal. In order to get the air between the magnet and plate, I removed the two small screws that holds the circuit board to the plastic housing. I was then able to lift the entire internal unit up by about 3mms, which allowed me to get the air between the parts that were previously obscured by the plastic housing. Be very careful, however, when you torque up on the "internal unit" as you will be flexing the 3 soldered contacts which connect the "unit" to the harness contacts. Lift too far and they will break. After this procedure the sensor "arm" moved much more freely, and hopefully I will have eliminated my fault codes (haven't tested the car yet)

The picture below corresponds to Part A above. Reference the picture from the pervious thread to see the accelerometer described in part B.
Attached Images  
Old 05-04-2005, 01:46 PM
CentralLine
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Success

Well, cleaning the accelerometer was the trick. I now have PDAS and anti-lock again. I also engaged the central diff lock and drove up to 40 mph as suggested in Adrian's book, which might have helped as well.

Now to tackle the distributor drive belt. The fun awaits.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cleaning longitudinal accelerometer