Notices

Changing Power Steering Pump

Old 01-13-2005, 08:33 PM
Ken964
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Power Steering Pump

So I was feeling overly confident today and I decided to go about replacing my power steering pump myself. I will be changing the pump while the engine is in the car, probably on ramps or jack stands. Any words of advise?

Hopefully replacing the pump and flushing the fluid will get rid of that pesky burning smell the fluid has now.

cheers,
Old 05-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Ken964
Intermediate

Evening,

I managed to change it with the engine in the car, the biggest pain was removing and installing the front facing pump mounting bolts, everything else went like clockwork. I needed a 3/8" breaker bar with a short socket to get the front facing ones off and the one on the driver's side needs to go back on first to clear the belt. All in all it took about 3 hours to get it all done.

all is well,

Ken
Old 05-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Ken964
Intermediate

sure thing, let's see if I can get this right.

First take off the airfilter assembly to make some room to work.

There is a metal bracket on the lower driver's side of the pump, take that off next, all the bolts to make the bracket able to move so the pump can pass by.

Next take off the plastic cover on the sprocket side of the pump. It is held on with two allen key bolts. You may want to spary some wd-40 or penatrating oil on them as the plastic cover has a habit of breaking when the metal twists inside of it.

Then take off the mounting nuts on the sprocket side of the pump, the studs you see on the back go through to the sprocket side. The one on the passenger side should come off first if memory serves, you will know because the socket will not fit past the belt otherwise. I needed a short socket and a 3/8" breaker bar to fit back there. After this the pump should be loose and the belt should move freely back and forth on the sprocket.

Once all the mounting bolts are off, put a spill pan or equivalent under the inlet and outlet and disconnect them. It helps if you drain the fluid out of the resiviour first with a turkey baster or pump.

After that is out and you clean up the mess, take the pump out. The sprocket is held on with three bolts and needed to come off to be put on the new one. The bolts are loctited. Put a strap wrench on the teeth (careful they're sharp)of the sprocket (or stop the sprocket from turning some other way) and take off the bolts and clean off the extra locktite out of the sprocket holes and off of the bolts.

Assembly is the same in reverse noting to not drop the nuts down between the belt and the lower sprocket as it is difficult to get them out. Be sure to exercise the system after everything is installed and fuild is in the resiviour to ensure the air is out of the system.

I was going to replace the belt, but I decided not to when I noticed I was working in winter in the garage. You just need to take off the exhaust and the lower cover and it should slide right off.

If I missed something or something seems strange, let me know. Feel free to pm me as well if like.

Cheers,

Ken
'89 C4 Coupe
'88 Mazda MX6
'92 Yamaha Seca II (now fully functional)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Power Steering Pump