Replacing Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Question

Ok, I will post photos here shortly on the progress... so far I took the air box out, replaced the evaporator, mounted the air box back. Removed dryer and flushed the lines...

I went to empty the compressor to add the new oil but found only a very small amount of oil in the compressor (about 1-2ml) How much oil should I be putting in?

I will post photos as soon as I download them to the computer.

I had to make the special tool needed to remove the AC control... some #16 gauge wire and... the final product... you will need two:

Old 11-07-2004, 09:57 AM
Karl 964C4
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you will be vacuming the system and filling it with new refrigerant immediately after that, I would not recommend that you fill the compressor with oil at this stage.

Oils in refrigerant systems are known to be hygroscopic. Especially the AB and POE oils which are used in combination with R134a are very very hygroscopic (contact with air and moisture from the air can ruine the oil within hours). You should fill the oil just before vacuming and refilling with refrigerant.

As for the amount of oil, this depends on the type of compressor used. Data for the compressror could be optained from the manufacturer.

As you also flushed the systems, chances are (depending on how and with what you did the flushing) that the oil film on the pipes, hoses, tubes in the condensor is flushed out of the system. Your evapotaror is new, so this also carries no oil film. You should therefor compensate this with extra oil in the compressor (this extra wil stay in the system on the surface of the pipes and tubes and does not come back to the compressor). However for this you will only need 1-2 grams/m of lines, meaning that in a Porsche (with condensor in the front and compressor in the back), you would probably have to add something like 40-50 grams.

I hope this will help you.

Regards and good luck.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:34 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Well... so much for trying to save the original heater hoses...

Once the hoses are out you can disconnect the plastic connectors the go from the airbox to the heater hose:

From the front you will need to raise the plastic in the airbox that holds them in place and push down... or if you have someone to help the person inside can pull gently while you raise the plastic that holds them in place... easy really...

There are two nuts and one bolt inside the dash that will need to come out to allow the airbox to be free... you will need to remove the radio to get to one and the air control unit to get to the other two.

Now is time to remove the airbox:

Best to loosen all the cables from the plugs for this and to release the cables from the tie wraps to get some additional length on them... also release the hose and hard line that goes to the expansion valve from the bracket close to the hood hinge...

Now remove the 32 small clips around the air box to give you the ability to remove the blowers... there are small screws (some 12) that you will find along the way... too many to remember where there all are...
you will see them.... all but one that sits in the middle of the air box in a deep deep hole that you will curse the gods trying to get to it... and they rust and there not phillips nor flat but a small 6 points head that will strip easy
Old 11-08-2004, 07:39 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Left blower:

Right Blower:

Remember those small bolts with six point heads... well you have two of each in each blower... spin the blades until you see the two bolts, remove them so that you can remove the blowers from the housing...

Air box out

Old 11-08-2004, 07:52 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Air box apart:

old one before taking out:

old vs. new

Most likely leaking from here...

I could save it... NOT!! To the garbage!

New one installed...

Just drop it in put some of the strips of foam that comes with the evaporator (so it does not vibrate or rub against the borders)

And start putting clips back.

Install the blowers...and do not forget the two small bolts on each blower or you will have to remove the covers to do it again (ask me how I know )

I also installed the new dryer. Here is removing the old one:

Remember to oil the O-rings when installing the new one.
Old 11-08-2004, 07:55 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

On of those "while you are in there" - I had purchased a tank filter for the 951 (sitting for so many years the stuff in the gas tank is no longer gas... ) Turns out it is the same part number so I went ahead and used it for the 964... I will get one later for the 951 when I start working on it again.

That is all for now back to work...
Old 11-08-2004, 11:48 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by Rich W
Jaime,

Now you know why I recommended new heater hoses. It's impossible (IMHO) to keep them intact, especially when you consider they are 10+ years old now.

You're doing a great job with this thread. Keep it up!

Thank you for the help Rich.

OK, as they say... assembly is the reverse. Everything is back in place. I left the bottom cover to the gas line uncovered to check for fuel leaks when I put gas back in the car and start it.

New dryer is in place. Remember to use new GREEN O-rings as the old black ones are not compatible with R134a. As someone recommended here I will hold back in putting oil in the compressor and leave that to the A/C Shop tomorrow. I installed the compressor but without the drive belt (to avoid accidental damage of running the thing without oil).

There is really no additional gotchas from putting it all back together... just be careful you plug all conectors back where they belong. There was a plug that I failed to notice, it was the one the connects to the heaters in the wiper nozzle. not easy to reach once the air box is in place but nothing a good set of loooong nose pliers could not handle. (I tell you ... tools is what set us apart from monkeys, LOL).

One more thing, there is a probe/sensor that goes in through a plastic bracket in the middle of the evaporator... this sensor goes all the way in the evaporator between the fins. Make sure you check, before final assembly of the air box cover, that the sensor goes in without problems. Initially I overlooked this and had some difficulty getting the sensor to go in since the fin right in front bent to the wrong way blocking the path... I had to use a very thin and long flat screwdriver to bend the fin back to allow the sensor to go in. The sensor sits right below the expansion valve (to the lower left of the expansion valve).

Time for a before I go to bed. Again, I will take the car tomorrow to the A/C shop for oil, vaccum creation, and R134a charge. Will post the final chapter after that.

Also notice that I need new front disc brakes and pads... so order place for those parts. This is an easy task. Not sure if people will be interested in photos of that process...

Old 11-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Still waiting for the heater hoses... but went to an A/C shop... for US$104.68 (that includes tax) they did the vac, put in the oil I had, charge of R134A (some 30oz)... I was so happy when the guy told me that the system was holding the vac good... uuuhhhooo!!! So far so good. A/C is working fine (will know exactly once the heater hoses are in place since I am getting cold air from the vents and hot air from the floor duct holes! )

I think I can safely say this was a success... the car is not lighter thanks to the work done (meaning I did not have any parts left when I was done and there is always that feeling of accomplishment when working in the car...

I did notice that a bolt was loose... seems to be the bolt that holds the front differential rubber mount. I need to check PET and determine the part number and tackle that when I do the front brakes. For now I just adjusted the thing back to spec.

Can I safely cover the holes where the heater hoses connect while I wait for the parts???? I would like to use the car tomorrow... since the R32 is in the shop. Maybe use some thin metal and make a cap and hold it in place with the same clamp... any suggestions?
Old 11-09-2004, 11:43 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

depending on what size maybe a PVC cap or maybe a rubber cap like they sell in the plumbing at Home D. would work temporarly.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

And here are the last photos for this post:

Everything but the carpet back in place...

New dryer in place:

A quick wash before going out to the A/C shop:

and now on to the next task... replacing the brake pads and rotors:

Bye now! Let me know if there is an area that needs more details and I will try to add to it.
The following users liked this post:
orientdude (04-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Replacing Evaporator