Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Speedo died; replaced speedometer sending unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 11:56 AM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo died; replaced speedometer sending unit

The speedometer started doing the bouncy thing, and then sometimes not even working at all, it was very inconsistent and then finally died. I bought a new speedometer sending unit from Paragon Products, the one in the transmission. put it in, and now it works. It's great when a plan comes together.

2 thing I noticed with the old unit, 1. The terminals were corroded, one of them has turned green or verdi gras, you know, that expensive look people like on their home or metal fixtures, and 2. the output shaft or impeller on the old unit was hard to turn compared to the new one.

Thought I would share. I wonder if I had cleaned the terminals on the old if it would have prolonged the life.

Last edited by MC Luc; 06-20-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:05 PM
PEvans
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the exact same symptoms. I think I ruled out the sending unit and might have even replaced it. Maybe I'm mistaken and that may yet be the root cause...?
Old 06-20-2017, 02:23 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, the sending unit in the trans is easy to get out so you could take it out and take a look at it. The impeller shaft should rotate easily and the terminals on the opposite end of it should be corrosion free. You could also do an electrical test on it.

There are 2 other sending units on the motor by the fire wall and someone more educated on the matter could explain if that could impact the speedometer. One of them might, I think it is a speed sender unit that monitors the crankshaft. The mechanic I use thought that these were the senders needing to be replaced, but I went with the trans unit, it seemed more intuitive.

Quick Reply: Speedo died; replaced speedometer sending unit