Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Totally stock 75K mile 951 - dual port wastegate?

Old 06-15-2017, 01:56 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

My 89 has Autothority MAF Chips and My 88 has a Tec3-R Standalone.. 86- Stock
Old 06-15-2017, 02:39 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my opinion you can really free up these motors with a MAF kit, manual boost controller, 3 inch exhaust and a DP wastegate. Even with a stock turbo you can get 280 rwhp without crazy boost and all of those things can be reversed to bring it back to stock.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:09 PM
Bmuldoon
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Tempted by Lindsey's Instant RWHP kit. So long as it's safe for an otherwise stock setup.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:14 PM
ekoz
Racer

I had a stock setup with autothority chips, gutted cat. and shimmed waste gate. Car was awesome...nice and smooth with good power.....but just not quite enough....added dual port port, (never had car re-tuned) after several years of track driving blew out cylinder wall...assume it was running too lean.

As others have said...choose mods wisely and make sure your tune is good with each change. Or answer the first question. What is your goal? and stick to it. I never had a goal....just wanted more and thats when the bank drain starts....and continues to this day.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:10 AM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ekoz: I hear what you are saying. I suppose I want a car that is respectably fast while keeping it very stock like. I had my doors blown off by a hopped up focus and that was plain embarrassing, and took my car down a notch or two in my eyes. I have had fast (mid 12 second quarter) cars in the past and so it is hard to drive, due to arrogance I'll admit, a 14 second car that looks as good as our 951's do. And that is the challenge, how do I make the car perform respectably, not fast, while not going down the rat-hole of mod after mod. My friend just bought a new 328xi and I don't think I could bear him beating me in a race.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM
ChrisJ951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MC Luc
ekoz: I hear what you are saying. I suppose I want a car that is respectably fast while keeping it very stock like. I had my doors blown off by a hopped up focus and that was plain embarrassing, and took my car down a notch or two in my eyes. I have had fast (mid 12 second quarter) cars in the past and so it is hard to drive, due to arrogance I'll admit, a 14 second car that looks as good as our 951's do. And that is the challenge, how do I make the car perform respectably, not fast, while not going down the rat-hole of mod after mod. My friend just bought a new 328xi and I don't think I could bear him beating me in a race.
These cars are 30 years old and were never meant to be drag strip cars. Newer cars with newer technology will always have an advantage in straight line performance, for the most part. But get those cars on a track and you'll see where a 944 shines. The 944 Turbo were restricted from the factory, so they weren't faster than the 930, so if you free up the exhaust, get a good MAF kit and everything else I mentioned, you'll have a car that will feel completely different. Make sure to get an Air/Fuel monitor and 3 bar fuel pressure regulator, so you're not running lean.
Old 06-16-2017, 01:24 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Dont want to break the bank? Gut the whole car, take off the bumpers doors, Glass AC sunroof ECT Get it to about 2200lbs, and beat that Focus! LOL - Sorry Couldn't Resist... I Digress, go with a LR kit, it is an Engineered kit and Proven, The more mods, the more "Other" things need to be done, and when you finally get the HP Dont Hammer it in 1st and 2nd, unless you have an AOR Trans..and even then.. I agree, these are road race cars, not drag cars..
Old 06-16-2017, 02:52 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

[QUOTE=GPA951s;14259811]Dont want to break the bank? Gut the whole car, take off the bumpers doors, Glass AC sunroof ECT Get it to about 2200lbs, and beat that Focus! LOL - Sorry Couldn't Resist... I Digress[QUOTE]

LOL, too funny.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:57 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

I ordered the Lindsey Racing Boost Enhancer. I spoke with Dave he was great, talked me out of doing more. Can't wait to install it.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Dave is always great to talk too, so is Mike. Glad he talked you in the right direction not to mod out your stock car. These cars are getting hard to find totally stock and in good shape. Mine is far from stock now and has cost me more then I will ever want to know, and still isn't done. Many of us have this same issue, that's why we are saying don't do it so you can actually enjoy your car
Old 06-20-2017, 12:38 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

I really appreciate your advice and am going to try to stick to the stock or "easily returned to stock" route. We'll see if I can resist!
Old 06-20-2017, 09:33 PM
ekoz
Racer

that is the beauty and curse of these cars.....so much untapped potential, its hard not to want more. one of the problems is you have to start fixing many of the 30 year old components while you start upgrades. Oil leaks, power steering leaks, exhaust leaks, vacuum hose leaks, etc. If its not a daily driver and you don't mind learning and turning wrenches its not a problem.

your mistake was racing the focus....choose your battles...if you won....all you could say was "i beat a focus"

Good luck resisting the urge, I may be wrong but I have the feeling we will be hearing about dyno numbers exceeding 300 hp at the wheels in the not too distant future.
Old 08-08-2017, 03:06 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Here it is all nicely welded back together. The weld on here now is significantly stronger than the original weld. The shop told me that it is a common problem for this flange to brake off of the pipe.
Attached Images    
Old 08-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Mach 5
Racer

zogster,

The crossover pipe was originally welded to the square flange. Google it and you'll see pictures of what the crossover pipe should look like. The bodge flange is just that, it was added as a means to compensate for the broken flange. I can't imagine you will ever be able to get it to seal properly like that. You may be better off trying to locate another crossover pipe. I don't recall what year your car is, but if it's anything but an '86, you can pick these up fairly easily for about $100. The '86s are a slightly different design and harder to find.

Roger

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totally stock 75K mile 951 - dual port wastegate?