Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Kevin, let's talk bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 12:24 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Kevin, let's talk bushings...

So, my ball joints are getting worse by the day, time to replace em. My bushings didn't look all that too bad last time I took a look, but I'm thinking about doing them anyway, I don't plan on having the arms off again any time soon. Kevin, I know you've posted about being able to get the 30% stiffer ones, and I'm interested.

So what's the price for a full set? How long does it take to get them? Anyone else here used em? What do you think? I normally go poly, but to be honest I don't ever plan on throwing this car around a track or an autox, so while I would like something stiffer than stock, poly would be way overkill for me.

On the subject, can you get the old ones out and the new ones in without a press?? I'd like to minimize down time, so I really don't want to have to have them pressed if I can avoid it. I've seen conflicting info.

Any other thoughts on these bushings guys?
Old 05-30-2017, 03:22 AM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably depends on the bushing. I used elephant racing stiffer rubber ones and could not press them in with a vice, freezing them, and heating the arm. No problem for the shop to press it in fast though.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:37 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Since you have an '86, you can always just get steel arms. They're cheap brand new, and are clean and ready for bushings. Poly bushings are something like $30 and new ball joints are only a few dollars each per side.

Only other change you need to make is to backdate the sway bar end mounts to the early 944 style and drill out the bushings to accept the larger sway bar ends. Then replace the castor mount clips with the early style as well.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

While that's an interesting idea, that's going farther from stock than I'm wanting to go. But if I ever need new arms, that's a great idea!

Quick Reply: Kevin, let's talk bushings...