Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally doing my timing belt ect.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 09:38 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally doing my timing belt ect.

I really am looking forward to driving it this season so I finally started what I should have done years ago... timing belt and a host of other needed items.

First, please let me vent some...

1. jacking the car up onto those race ramps sucked bad. I used a hockey puck, a lot of wood (2x10's), went slow but took forever and I was scared like a little girl until it was finally settled onto the wheel cribs.

2. Finding the line on the flywheel for TDC through that little space was obviously Porsche engineers just screwing with us. I'm sure they would have thought it funny to see me sitting on my engine for hours not able to see sh*t.

3. Man, everything is so jam packed; I need those baby hands Ryan Reynolds had in Deadpool.

Besides that, I had a great day working in the garage, my daughter handing me tools and counting the days till I'll be hitting the twistys.

Couple things I could use help with...

Flywheel lock in place / tried to remove main pulley bolt (24mm) and broke socket. Regular threads right? Any tricks?

Also found the only leak (power steering pump). Should I just order the rebuild kit from Rennbay?

Thank you.
Attached Images  
Old 05-28-2017, 12:07 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I never get tired of seeing a well taken care of 944 turbo! I rebuilt my power steering pump with the Rennbay kit. EASY and looks like new.

No experience with the crankshaft pulley...
Old 05-28-2017, 12:22 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Buy yourself a good quality 24mm impact socket for the crank pulley. They usually are black instead of chrome and are designed for air tools but you can use them with regular ratchets and the like. They are thicker and therefore stronger than regular chrome sockets. I have one for the crank and the rear hub due to the high torque required.
Old 05-28-2017, 12:47 AM
Maxbr7t
Track Day

I didn't use a flywheel lock on getting my crank bolt out. I do have nice impact sockets though. To get the crank bolt out I take a breaker bar and put it against the ground. (Towards the driver side of the engine) Turn the engine over with one click of the key. No more. It will break free, you can then put the bolt back in and turn the engine clockwise to TDC using the marks on the timing cover. Then place the flywheel lock. Some people may disagree with this method but I've done this 5x. Cheers
Old 05-28-2017, 12:58 AM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
I never get tired of seeing a well taken care of 944 turbo!
It's been blanketed with lots of love. See right there, in the quilt.
Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 AM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
It's been blanketed with lots of love. See right there, in the quilt.
Yes it has. lol
Old 05-28-2017, 12:32 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was pretty nervous my first time doing this but it just takes patience and some creative thinking. Some stuff comes off better from top some from below. sometimes tool needs to be in left hand , sometimes right hand. Once you figure all that out its really not that tough.

Also, I don't hesitate to spend money on tools to make my life easier. I bought arnworx set for this job and various other flex head wrenches, stubbies, etc. Just think how much your saving by doing it yourself.

I never saw the tdc mark either, always used the flywheel mark.

before i had my lift, I made wheel cribs out of 2x10's. jack up one side, put 2 stacked 2x10 under each wheel, thenk go to other side and put 4 under each wheel. Continue back and forth to desired height....made it less dramatic.

Nice looking car...good luck
Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekoz

before i had my lift, I made wheel cribs out of 2x10's. jack up one side, put 2 stacked 2x10 under each wheel, thenk go to other side and put 4 under each wheel. Continue back and forth to desired height....made it less dramatic.

Nice looking car...good luck
That is how I did it also (2x10's) until I got to the "desired" height. Maybe I'm getting old cause it was dramatic. lol

and Thank you. It's been a garage queen way too long...time to drive it.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:01 AM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 686 Likes on 475 Posts

24 mm socket, 1/2 inch drive long handel ratchet and a long copper pipe cheater bar along with the engine flywheel lock being in place ( remove starter and install lock) .

Last edited by spanky; 06-16-2017 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-04-2017, 11:57 AM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

I recently did the T-Belt, Water Pump and Balance Shaft belt on my car for the first time, it was slow going and to date the most technical timing belt job I've ever done especially considering how archaic these engines are (SOHC & 8V).
Like you I couldn't find TDC, so used the old trick of the distributor rotor pointing to the no. 1 plug wire, no 1 piston all the way up on the compression stroke and then also used a grease pen to mark the camshaft sprocket and the flywheel once I dropped the starter.
Good luck.
Yasin
Old 06-04-2017, 05:03 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You will need a flywheel lock to install the crankshaft bolt. There are no keywys on the oil pump drive gear and is only held "pinched" in place by the proper torque of the crankshaft bolt.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:24 PM
teamcrossworks
Rennlist Member

I was able to rebuild the power steering pump (thank you Rennbay) but 2 1/2 weeks later and only slightly further along... pathetic

Hopefully this weekend I can kick it up a few notches...lol
Attached Images    

Quick Reply: Finally doing my timing belt ect.