Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wastegate tie in pipe slip joint is welded

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 09:31 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Wastegate tie in pipe slip joint is welded

Hello all, I don't post much but have enjoyed reading posts on the 944 turbo. I have a 1988 944 Turbo S and am going to be replacing the oil pan gasket (yeah, boy that looks fun NOT).

My question is this: somebody welded the slip joint on the wastegate tie-in (so there is no slip joint) and I'm wondering if this will create a problem in removing the crossover in order to access the oil pan. I'm hoping that's not the case but the Porsche engineers must have specified a slip joint for a reason.

Here's a photo of the part in question (thank you Lart, found this on eBay...I may need one...)

Thank you all in advance!
Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
Hello all, I don't post much but have enjoyed reading posts on the 944 turbo. I have a 1988 944 Turbo S and am going to be replacing the oil pan gasket (yeah, boy that looks fun NOT).

My question is this: somebody welded the slip joint on the wastegate tie-in (so there is no slip joint) and I'm wondering if this will create a problem in removing the crossover in order to access the oil pan. I'm hoping that's not the case but the Porsche engineers must have specified a slip joint for a reason.

Here's a photo of the part in question (thank you Lart, found this on eBay...I may need one...)

Thank you all in advance!
perhaps they added weld to help hold the orientation of the wastegate from turning. Especially if the original bracket is off the car. Shouldn't be an issue. But replacements are easy to find too.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:00 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just replaced my crossover. Since the entire crossover has to come off anyway to drop the oil pan that won't cause you any additional work.

It would cause you additional work if replacing the clutch. I would consider reverting it to a "two piece" while you have it off...

Also, you may even want to consider this LR mod for even easier crossover removal in the future -

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...-XOVR-MOD.html
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Seattle 993
Hello all, I don't post much but have enjoyed reading posts on the 944 turbo.
What, you're 2nd post since 2007. Nah...what's the rush!
Old 05-26-2017, 03:20 AM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333

For what it's worth i was investigating a rattle I thought something was loose inside my wastegate. Pulled this today, crossover to wastegate pipe broke in half. Getting it welded tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2017, 03:31 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't do that. Just speaking from experience. It will break again. Get one of the two piece crossover setups, there are three two piece styles I know of. Trust me on this one. There is a reason Porsche went to a two piece design. The wate gate puts a lot of stress on the one piece crossovers, mainly due to a small amount of warpage.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:09 PM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Guys, thanks for the advice. Seems to me that the slip joint tie in pipe is used for both alignment of the parts and a bit of wiggle room to accommodate flexing. She's totally stock (aside from an A-tune and 3 bar, haven't installed an MBC - she runs great) and am going to keep her that way.

Really enjoy learning from you - very knowledgable and helpful board. I'll let you know what happens!

PS - Yeah, that Lindsey mod does look like it would make things much easier...
Old 05-29-2017, 02:49 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Ok that's funny!

Quick Reply: Wastegate tie in pipe slip joint is welded