Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive
View Poll Results: Would you be interested?
Yes - where do I sign up?
0%
Maybe - depends on the price
0%
Nah - why would I need them
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Feeler to produce alternative for Spring Plate Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 03:09 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feeler to produce alternative for Spring Plate Bushings

Hi,

I have a 944 and have been looking for replacement Spring Plate bushings other than OEM, Delrin and Polybronze.

For auto-x use for example, I want to firm/fix up the deteriorating bushings I have to something that will not break the bank or be too flimsy. I have yet to find an affordable performance option.

If I was to cast a mould and create very stiff polyurethane 75D or maybe even 95A durometer...would anyone be interested in buying for a price higher than oem rubber yet 50% less than Delrin?
Old 04-11-2017, 03:22 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Don't know if you've seen these...but they are excellent quality, reasonably priced and easy enough to install. I have been using them for 2.5 years now...they might make them in their "sport hardness" if you ask.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...erbushings.htm
Old 04-11-2017, 03:32 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

I did, but did not see any mention of a stiffer option. You emailed them to request those, was it additional cost?
Old 04-11-2017, 04:27 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

No I just got the regular ones, but I know they have a sport-hardness option for some of the other bushings they make, so maybe if you requested it they could accomodate.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:50 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

OEM rubber or polybronze are the only good options. Rubber works via elastic deformation so there is no friction (and thus squeaking) during range of motion. Polybronze is a bearing and hence is low friction with minimal noise. Polyurethane and delrin require movement between the bushing and the spring plate or torque tube surface. Although initially greased at installation and relatively quiet, after a few rounds in the rain both will eventually drive you crazy with squeaks.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 PM
mdnt08
Advanced

that sucks....well this is primarily an auto-x car and glad I only spent $50.

I will take moulds anyway and try a moderate focused durometer stiffness poly to use with lithium grease. Very curious to if they will hold up with slight deforming.
Old 04-11-2017, 09:01 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
OEM ...Although initially greased at installation and relatively quiet, after a few rounds in the rain both will eventually drive you crazy with squeaks.
Used to be the case but these days the "quality" made Poly bushes like the Powerflex are designed with grooves to keep the grease in and lips to keep the rain out. Once fitted it is difficult to get any water between the bush and the metal even if you direct a high-presure hose at it.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:10 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
OEM rubber or polybronze are the only good options. Rubber works via elastic deformation so there is no friction (and thus squeaking) during range of motion. Polybronze is a bearing and hence is low friction with minimal noise. Polyurethane and delrin require movement between the bushing and the spring plate or torque tube surface. Although initially greased at installation and relatively quiet, after a few rounds in the rain both will eventually drive you crazy with squeaks.
+1
Mike

Quick Reply: Feeler to produce alternative for Spring Plate Bushings