Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   87 951 VEMS Install (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/984075-87-951-vems-install.html)

NCLA951 05-20-2017 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by RostyToasty (Post 14199191)
Not for a 951 but I have a Porsche 944 s2 where did you buy the VEMSvems from online? also, did you need anything additional for the install? I want to break down and do it but I don't know where to start

Email peep@vems.ee

He'll get you sorted with the kit. For S2 you'll need to weld in WB O2 bung in exhaust I think, but that should be it for basic kit.

RostyToasty 05-20-2017 06:43 PM

Thank you just emailed him! was it pretty easy to install? will he know what Ignition Drivers, Primary & Secondary Triggers, MAP Sensor, EGT, and Knock Input i'll need?? I'm mechanically inclined but have never messed with ECU stuff

V2Rocket 05-20-2017 09:59 PM

You won't have to do anything except "plug it in"...Peep takes care of everything else for you.

Eldavo 05-23-2017 08:41 AM

I've been reading all these threads with interest - I have a VEMS system from Peep sat ready to install.

I'm pretty happy with knowing what I need to do to physically install the system but a lot of the tuning side seems like a steep learning curve. I've currently got an Apexi AVC-R EBC installed and will leave that in place for now, I have got a solenoid from Peep to move to a VEMS-based boost control in the future but not sure where on earth that wires in???

Seems like some good knowledge and experience in this thread so I'm hoping that I'll be able to contribute as well as learn.

NCLA951 05-23-2017 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Eldavo (Post 14204603)
I've been reading all these threads with interest - I have a VEMS system from Peep sat ready to install.

I'm pretty happy with knowing what I need to do to physically install the system but a lot of the tuning side seems like a steep learning curve. I've currently got an Apexi AVC-R EBC installed and will leave that in place for now, I have got a solenoid from Peep to move to a VEMS-based boost control in the future but not sure where on earth that wires in???

Seems like some good knowledge and experience in this thread so I'm hoping that I'll be able to contribute as well as learn.

That solenoid goes on the end of the stock cycling valve wire, replacing that connector with the one for the solenoid. With auto tune it's not bad to figure out, although some of the finer points such as acceleration enrichment take some fiddling. It helps that Peep came to LA to help my tune and EBC!

gruhsy 05-23-2017 09:07 AM

Anyone setup traction control yet with the VEMS?

blade7 05-23-2017 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Eldavo (Post 14204603)

When are you going to install it.

Raceboy 05-23-2017 10:29 PM

Meanwhile in Red Rock Canyon near Las Vegas :)

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...3c88837a85.jpg

Eldavo 05-24-2017 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by blade7 (Post 14206332)
When are you going to install it.

This weekend hopefully. Should be able to get everything physically in and calibrated but I'm waiting for the Inlet Air Temperature sensor to turn up before I can start the engine.

NCLA951 - that's useful thanks, I'd be interested to see what your boost table looks like at some point? Although ive got a good understanding of duty cycles, etc. from tuning my Apexi.

Droops83 10-02-2017 12:24 AM

I finally got my VEMS system installed a couple of weeks ago, and I am impressed so far. I have a custom Evergreen K27/K26 billet hybrid turbo on the shelf, along with a spare engine to build up to cope with long periods of ~1 bar boost on track, but I decided to try the VEMS on the tired original engine (100% stock) to start learning the system.

The main goals were to keep the engine bay as factory-appearing as possible, and to ensure that any modifications were 100% bolt-on and bolt-off (thanks to the draconian "visual" requirements of the CA smog test).

These requirements neatly dovetailed with my desire for a true "cold air" intake, which is fulfilled by the factory airbox. A huge pet peeve of mine is a stupid cone air filter sitting in a hot engine engine bay and billed as a "cold air intake." Of course, in a forced-induction application the air is compressed and heated and then cooled down somewhat by the intercooler, but ensuring that the incoming air is at ambient temperature still helps.

To this end, I pillaged an adapter flange from a 1980s BMW AFM and mated it to a 3" silicone hose section and adapter pipe purchased from Pegasus. A friend TIG-welded an aluminum bung to a spare factory intake pipe to mount the IAT/MAT sensor as close to the throttle body as possible while ensuring minimal heat-soak for accurate temperature readings. The AFM adapter and the airbox itself received some love from a die grinder to eliminate the small rectangular AFM slot and allow a true 3" inlet from the airbox (at least until the J-boot necks down to 2" for the factory turbo inlet; my upgraded turbo has a 2.75" inlet).

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...8cf7dbf10e.jpg

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1d2d43cd89.jpg

After installing everything, the engine started right up with the base map that Peep installed, but it ran quite lean. I started by manually tuning the VE table in the idle/low load range to get a feel for how the system responded to changes, and got it running fairly well. Then, I set my AFR/lambda requirements and basic timing map and let the auto-tune feature do its job for the VE table, and it is running great after a number of tuning drives. The throttle response is definitely better than stock, as is the midrange torque.

I also installed a Tial F38 wastegate at the same time, along with a MAC boost control solenoid. I chose a 0.7 bar spring for the WG, and started playing with the electronic boost control feature of the VEMS, but I noticed that even at 0.7 bar, the factory injectors were exceeding 90% duty cycle at higher RPM. I installed a 3 bar Bosch fuel pressure regulator and re-tuned the VE table, but the injector duty cycles still approach 90% at high load levels. So, I will wait until I can install a Bosch 044 fuel pump and larger injectors before tuning for the bigger turbo and higher boost levels!

Overall, I am quite pleased with the VEMS system, and Peep has been extremely helpful and responsive to any questions that I have had.

shortyboy 01-15-2018 02:15 AM

Anyone got a base config file they could share? I didn't get one in my kit, so I believe that's the reason why I'm having tuning issues. Emailed Peep currently waiting on response. But we're like 18hrs difference in time. Much Appreciated - Wayne

​​​​

Raceboy 01-16-2018 01:51 AM

I never send out a unit without a config!

Also sent you instructions how to proceed, please follow those precisely.

shortyboy 01-16-2018 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Raceboy (Post 14733647)
I never send out a unit without a config!

Also sent you instructions how to proceed, please follow those precisely.

Didnt realize config was pre-burned into ECU. Sorry for the confusion. I also want to compare setups with everyone else.

ealoken 01-16-2018 05:41 AM

What is the problem with your current setup?
Ign table? Fuel table? Sensor setup?

shortyboy 01-25-2018 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ealoken (Post 14733786)
What is the problem with your current setup?
Ign table? Fuel table? Sensor setup?

I was having high idle and stumbling issues, even after getting req fuel lamda set and using autotune. Deleted the idle control valve, adjusted the hard stop and tps to open a bit more and I have rock solid idle at 900rpm at operating temp, but it also idles well at 500rpm. req fuel is 8ms, ignition retard for idle is 15. Fine tuning at the moment and will probably add boost control and launch control soon. Currently using at HKS EVC-S boost controller. Keep the tuning tips, issues and solutions coming. We need to make a dedicated VEMS thread. -Wayne