Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   87 951 VEMS Install (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/984075-87-951-vems-install.html)

Cyberpunky 07-20-2019 10:53 AM

Cheers Wayne. So going wasted spark should sort ,my car too I hope. I didn't even think about it till now but I think I am running a MSD Blaster coil, so maybe that is my issue. Id love to be able to just start her and get a good start every time. I am hoping to finally get my wasted spark in, in next week or so. I have a bunch of stuff I want to do at same time as audio amp is in front of VEMS and a PITA to get around, so want to do everything at once

Black51 07-20-2019 11:16 AM

Just fyi, for anyone wanting to use a bluetooth screen but don't want to use a tablet, a double din unit running android will work. It won't have tuning capabilities, but you can have gauges of your choosing show while driving. I will be replacing my gagues in the centre console with this eventually.

shortyboy 07-23-2019 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky (Post 15986136)
Cheers Wayne. So going wasted spark should sort ,my car too I hope. I didn't even think about it till now but I think I am running a MSD Blaster coil, so maybe that is my issue. Id love to be able to just start her and get a good start every time. I am hoping to finally get my wasted spark in, in next week or so. I have a bunch of stuff I want to do at same time as audio amp is in front of VEMS and a PITA to get around, so want to do everything at once

Yes, please keep us updated!

Cyberpunky 08-06-2019 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by shortyboy (Post 15993390)
Yes, please keep us updated!

Well I have wasted spark in but forgot I need different leads, so waiting to hear back from Peep with a model number so I can get them ordered. Going to take a few days to source down here

Cyberpunky 08-08-2019 06:21 AM

Well I got leads custom made and got her fired up today. All was good but then I got a bad start. Definitely better as started her a lot without issue but then I got one.

shortyboy 08-08-2019 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky (Post 16025855)
Well I got leads custom made and got her fired up today. All was good but then I got a bad start. Definitely better as started her a lot without issue but then I got one.

Try changing dwell settings in ignition settings.

For those with boost control,

I picked up a solenoid and in the process of wiring it in. Care to share a screenshot of your settings and values? Also boost levels. I went on the vems support page for some information but its a bit difficult to understand.

Droops83 08-08-2019 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by shortyboy (Post 16027173)

Peep said that coil works well in the 951 at 3.0 ms dwell, and it does work well for mine.

Droops83 08-08-2019 10:26 PM

I picked up a solenoid and in the process of wiring it in. Care to share a screenshot of your settings and values? Also boost levels. I went on the vems support page for some information but its a bit difficult to understand.

Here are my settings, using the factory cycling valve wires for the aftermarket MAC solenoid. Boost level is entirely dependent on your particular turbocharger setup, what type of fuel you are using, if you have enough fuel flow capability to support it, if you are brave enough, etc.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...df012e4c9.jpeg

gpr8er 08-08-2019 11:25 PM

I agree about difficulty in understanding what's going on. From what I can gather the boost control in VEMS is controlled by the software internally and is "learned" IDK is the correct?? I It's hard to see what's going on when driving around boosting and watching the road and the gauges. I finally gave up and put a Turbosmart e boost controller in the car.
'

Droops83 08-09-2019 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by gpr8er (Post 16027694)
I agree about difficulty in understanding what's going on. From what I can gather the boost control in VEMS is controlled by the software internally and is "learned" IDK is the correct?? I It's hard to see what's going on when driving around boosting and watching the road and the gauges. I finally gave up and put a Turbosmart e boost controller in the car.
'

PID boost control is a bit confusing if you don't know how it works, and can be time-consuming to set up. HP Academy has a good course about it-----but if you are able to cheat and fill in the values with some that are known to work, then it works out well :)

I have found that the VEMS system works well and "learns" the boost curve quickly at the settings that Peep suggested. There was no driving around and watching anything, I could tell that it worked well because the boost came on fast and hard and double-checking logs afterward showed that it was able to closely follow my pre-entered boost curve after 4-5 pulls. The only downside of the VEMS system is unless you wire in an external switch, you have top pull out the laptop to change boost settings.

The Turbosmart system also likely uses PID (or at least PI) controls to achieve the user's boost target, but has pre-programmed parameters from the factory.

Cyberpunky 08-11-2019 05:05 AM

changed dwell to 3.01 ms but didn't effect starting although on a good start its so smooth

Droops83 08-11-2019 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky (Post 16031753)
changed dwell to 3.01 ms but didn't effect starting although on a good start its so smooth

Did the "good start, bad start" symptom start after installing the wasted spark coil, or was it preexisting?

Cyberpunky 08-12-2019 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Droops83 (Post 16032178)
Did the "good start, bad start" symptom start after installing the wasted spark coil, or was it preexisting?

It was pre existing and was hoping WS might solve it but no such luck

czentner 09-03-2019 10:36 AM

Well, I finally got my car running right. My issue after getting VEMS installed and running around doing the autotune for 60 ish miles was that I was fouling plugs and the car didn't seem to pull as hard as it used to with the Vitesse piggyback (my car also has a vitesse stage 3 turbo). Since I don't know how to tune and didn't want to blow something up. I took it to a dyno tuner.

Here's the first dyno pull using the basemap that shipped with it + 60 miles of autotune:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...9a33f47a77.png

Not too impressive.

However, after a dozen or so pulls, adjusting the fuel and ignition curves, this is what I ended up with:

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...7408deee07.png

I am very happy with these numbers and the car pulls harder than it ever has. In fact, the car has never run this good - idle is now dialed in and rock solid and performance off boost is much better than it ever was before I put in VEMS.

So - I plan to just enjoy the car for the fall then this winter put in the wasted spark system. I'd also like to get A/C system working. Does anyone have settings/instructions for these two things?

Thanks.

DLS 09-03-2019 11:21 AM

I think the base map is very conservative.
Do you mind sharing your ignition map?
What injectors do you use?
It feels like my car don't pull as strong as before i switched to vems so i think i need to adjust my ignition map also.