Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just Curious...timing belt replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 10:23 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just Curious...timing belt replacement

Just purchased a 1988 944 Turbo S and obviously, pretty excited. i own a number of other Porsches, but new to the 944 model. As part of my post purchase maintenance, I had the timing belt, rollers and water pump replaced as seems to be the "normal" thing to do with these cars. It only had 8K miles on the previous change, but 5 years. I fully understand the risk involved if the timing belt breaks. However, as a point of discussion, I'm wondering if the timing belt change frequency is a little overblown because "everyone does it". How many failures actually occur that people know of? Again, reasonable insurance to prevent a catastrophic failure, but just wondering. Understand I'm not questioning the practice of replacement, but just curious as to whether it is really needed as often as is commonly done. I guess I could compare it to tensioner updates on my 911 SC. Everyone just does it because everyone else does...including me.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:38 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

There is enough data to support frequent changes. There are usually a couple broken belt / bent valve threads per year. Particularly alarming are the ones where they alllllmost made it to the change interval.

That being said, the failures are more likely a symptom of bone headed maintenance, and accumulation of small mistakes... or getting oil on the belts from leaking front seals.

At 5 years you definitely want to change your belt to be safe. If you are competent, or your mechanic is competent have them *check the pump and rollers. There's no fool proof way to check the pump, but they do not need to be replaced every belt change, especially if you're on early intervals. If you're doing this yourself its less than $100 for basic belt replacement if everything else is ok....

Use the search function, plenty of data to look through.

Did you buy the super nice 58k mile car that was on pelican, and ebay a couple times? I really wanted to buy that car but couldn't justify spending that much money right now.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:45 AM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
There is enough data to support frequent changes. There are usually a couple broken belt / bent valve threads per year. Particularly alarming are the ones where they alllllmost made it to the change interval.

That being said, the failures are more likely a symptom of bone headed maintenance, and accumulation of small mistakes... or getting oil on the belts from leaking front seals.

At 5 years you definitely want to change your belt to be safe. If you are competent, or your mechanic is competent have them *check the pump and rollers. There's no fool proof way to check the pump, but they do not need to be replaced every belt change, especially if you're on early intervals. If you're doing this yourself its less than $100 for basic belt replacement if everything else is ok....

Use the search function, plenty of data to look through.

Did you buy the super nice 58k mile car that was on pelican, and ebay a couple times? I really wanted to buy that car but couldn't justify spending that much money right now.
I definitely feel better about having it done and now I have a baseline to work from. Just interesting to see the frequency it is done. As to the car purchase, yes. Checked out exactly as described.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

From getting on 10 years experience fixing these things for other folks...
The risk of belt failure is not an overblown internet statement.

If you live in a somewhat dry climate 3 years is about the max you should be willing to push it, else the rubber gets really dry and "stiff".

I've never lived in a humid region, so I can't comment on belt life in such places.
Note - whether you do the belt yourself or get someone to do it, do ***NOT*** rely on the "spring tensioner" to set the belt tension. It is merely a guide, an approximation, but you still need to verify the tension is correct before locking it in place.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:58 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

This is an interesting discussion and the OP's question on this interval and maintenance has crossed my mind several times as well especially as I recently changed my timing, belt, balance shaft belt, rollers, seals etc recently which was a lofty task (first time doing it). The parts I removed from my car were in actually pretty good shape and were done XX years ago and the advice I received was "don't throw the dice and loose...its insurance"..so I proceeded accordingly.

Congrats on buying that Turbo S, I saw that on Pelican and the price was more than I could afford..its a seriously nice low mileage car. Its funny that the previous owner (GButler out of Charlotte, NC) used the timing belt change from 5 years ago as a selling point.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:59 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I've changed how I treat Tbelt's in these. I used to do the 3 year schedule however now go much longer. For a regularly driven car, 3 years is sensible. Having a number of other cars, mine does 1,000 miles a year at the most. I swap mine at 6-8 years and do all of my wrenching in my own garage so it's not because of a cost issue. For an otherwise well maintained car stored in a climate controlled garage, I find it hard to believe that a T-belt will degrade with such minimal miles and years. Of course I'll be sure to let you know when I do break a belt!

Many of these vehicles are in collections and are rarely driven. I know for certain of a number in such collections that do not get major belt service every 3 years.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

^^ again, it may be a "Dry climate" thing but last time I changed the belt on my own car (right at the 3 year interval, but maybe 15000 miles) the belt was so dry and stiff it actually groaned/creaked when turning the engine over by hand. After removing the old belt there were lots of little cracks in the rubber like it was 100 years old...was either Gates or Conti brand, don't remember.

Doing the timing belt is so f***ing easy that it's not a big deal to "have to" do it every 3 years, IMO.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:20 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by slownrusty
This is an interesting discussion and the OP's question on this interval and maintenance has crossed my mind several times as well especially as I recently changed my timing, belt, balance shaft belt, rollers, seals etc recently which was a lofty task (first time doing it). The parts I removed from my car were in actually pretty good shape and were done XX years ago and the advice I received was "don't throw the dice and loose...its insurance"..so I proceeded accordingly.

Congrats on buying that Turbo S, I saw that on Pelican and the price was more than I could afford..its a seriously nice low mileage car. Its funny that the previous owner (GButler out of Charlotte, NC) used the timing belt change from 5 years ago as a selling point.
Thanks. When they removed the belts during the replacement, they made the comment they still looked brand new. However, I do feel better knowing everything is new (belts and water pump) and can now set my intervals accordingly.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:02 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Post some pictures of the car when you can! Other than the little scuff on the driver's seat it's one of the nicest ones I've ever seen! Super jealous
Old 03-15-2017, 02:10 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
Post some pictures of the car when you can! Other than the little scuff on the driver's seat it's one of the nicest ones I've ever seen! Super jealous
I only have seller pictures right now but will post when the car arrives after transport. My interest was "lower mileage", full documentation since new, all manuals, all tools, compressor, spare, never been chipped and bone stock with all ID stickers, option stickers, etc. I intend to keep it a LONG time (I seem to never sell anything....) so not looking for investment goals. Very excited, as you can guess.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:19 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 320 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
(I seem to never sell anything....) .
We're in the same boat!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:03 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You want to change the belt at the 45K if not sooner. That's no joke. I wouldn't push it unless you think know all the answers in your own little world and don't listen to those who have experienced the misfortune of having a timing belt break on them. Just so you know if you haven't read the owners manual for the 944 Porsche states in there to not idle these engines for an extended period of time. If you understood the piston powerband effect of a big four cylinder engine and how centrifugal force effects work you'll understand better why Porsche states that. You'll also know why more often the timing belt will break at a stop sign when taking off or on massive acceleration/deceleration. Or you can just not listen to everyone and just think you know more then physics and known data like some, however that's not recommended. I had 1 mile on a belt that was ten years old and I changed it and thru it away. It's not worth the wonder and worry and if you think it needs it then do it regardless of how the belt looks. A timing belt usually looks fine when it's time to change, that's the point! You don't want to change the belt when it's "too late". Unless you like to spend more money and want your cylinder head to look like the one in this photo.

cool with you.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have only just purchased a turbo, but have a few years experience on 16V cars. I do belts every 4 years or 30,000miles which ever comes first. I do rollers and pump every other time. I have a friend with a S2 who has just done his timing belt after 12 years and 30,000 miles!! I finally persuaded him to do it but up to then he was happy with annual visual inspections. He say it looked fine when he removed it Too scary for my heart! Saying that I've never heard of a belt going that wasn't in poor condition and a number of Porsche techs have told me that you can tell more by visual inspection than you can buy age.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:16 PM
PF
Rennlist Member

Received 364 Likes on 182 Posts

Congrats to a beutiful and iconic -80:S car😀

I have changed many low mile belts due to age as per Porsches recommendation (8 years) and all looked like new. Maybe Swedish Weather.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:58 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

At the risk of being flamed:

Personal experience. Picked up '87 924S in Portland in 2014 and drove to So Cal. Timing belt had 27K miles and was changed in 1997. Car made it without any problems. Timing belt was in good condition when replaced. I realize this is probably the exception to the rule. But I also believe that while age and mileage are factors in timing belt life, it is the mileage that weighs in more heavily than the age.

You also have to consider that when Porsche recommended timing belt changes, belt technology was not what it is today. Gates states 60K miles for their belts, which is longer than the 45K that Porsche required for 944's. Porsche's recommendation for the 968 was 60K miles which is fairly standard.

Further, Porsche recommended inspecting the balance and timing belt condition and tension every 15K miles, or two years, which is probably not done in the majority of 944's.

YMMV.

Quick Reply: Just Curious...timing belt replacement