Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Black Sea R&D 5 super bearing TT

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Black Sea R&D 5 super bearing TT

I couldn't help myself. I had to order a black sea R&D five super bearing torque tube with a new driveshaft. Why? Because I spent so much money on the damn car already I might as well just go for it right. My girlfriend thinks I'm absolutely crazy but I told her that's not true it's called insanity not crazy. I let her know these are the problems that I have and that's why I came up with my version of Porsche's acronym which fits me well. Since I've thought of that acronym I've bought three more 944s. So far I have six in my driveway. But I'm boiling it down to four I think maybe. Anyways when I get the torque tube from Black Sea R&D I'll post some pictures because I'm absolutely positive that it is going to be awesome. Constantine said he's never built a five super bearing torque tube and that another gentleman was inquiring about having one made however I don't know if they went through with it so I told Constantine that is exactly what I want and I know it is overkill but everything I'm doing on the car is overkill for a normal person. The current rebuilt torque tube that I installed into my 951 I just didn't feel was good enough so I'm going to put that into my daily driver because it is a rebuilt torque tube just not a black sea R&D torque tube with five super bearings and the new updated driveshaft. "Insert Tim Allen's monkey noises"😜
Old 03-08-2017, 10:26 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Just out of curiosity - why 5 bearings?

Just thinking out loud here. The bearings don't support much of an axial load, in fact it should be as close to zero as possible. They simply center the shaft. I was thinking about the bearing placement a few years ago and Porsche's placement, and quantity, made me think that it was to do with shaft harmonics. Sort of like nodes on a standing wave (guitar string analogy). Maybe the placement and quantity are at specific points to somewhat cancel harmonics and kill vibration associated with a 6' long shaft spinning at engine RPM.

Just thinking out loud, may be zero truth to that.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

why only 5?
you've got 6 feet of torque tube and the super bearings are maybe 4" long.

18 or bust
Old 03-08-2017, 10:43 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

5 is overkill. it really is. It's just to keep the shaft from flexing.
Old 03-08-2017, 10:55 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Spencer don't get me wrong I asked for six but Constantine told me you know five is already overkill. I'm not sure harmonics are going to affect the driveshaft at the low rpm's compared to say the balance shaft which spin at twice the speed of the crankshaft and has been noted by Porsche that they've tried a three bearing balance shaft design which did not work as well as the two bearing balance shaft design in which Porsche had to pay realties to Mitsubishi for that patented design. Of the five super bearing locations three bearings will be installed behind the shifter in the stock locations however the other two are going forward of the shifter. Why? Like I said I just couldn't help myself. Spencer you're just jealous. It's OK I'm kind of jealous of myself as well. But to let everybody know how much I really wanted this torque tube when I used UPS to send off my core it cost me $209 to ship it and then UPS broke the bell housing during shipment so not only did I lose my torque tube I also lost the $209 for shipping. UPS did not refund me anything so basically they cost me somewhere around $500 and wouldn't even ship my other spare torque tube for me for the cost of breaking my other one because they said my packing was not up to par. By the way black sea R&D only uses FedEx now because they also had a problem with UPS just to let everybody know do not use UPS. They don't care!
Old 03-08-2017, 10:59 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

The Charlie arms on my car are overkill and so are the racer's edge front M030 hubs so why not overkill the torque tube right? In fact there's quite a few items on my car that are a little bit overkill. But that's OK I don't mind, i'm not sure anybody else should mind either.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:09 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Hmmmm.....might lose some power to the drag of the extra bearings...possibly as high a loss as .01hp at max speed.
Old 03-10-2017, 04:55 AM
Monstrous4Banger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im about to order mine. We met before in Clear Lake, I'm pretty sure. Im doing paint and body now.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

That's me. And I want your inside door handles still. To this day I still have seen only your car's inside door handles with the Porsche crest insignia inserted into them.
Old 03-10-2017, 05:19 PM
Monstrous4Banger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
That's me. And I want your inside door handles still. To this day I still have seen only your car's inside door handles with the Porsche crest insignia inserted into them.

Never! I'll be buried with them. Just like my 951. I shipped it off for a ground up. Haven't paid Constantine yet because all the new body trim parts from pelican is killing my wallet. Paint is first phase, then I can have him ship the new TT. With a 3.0, and spec mini twin...it may be overkill, but thats kind of the point.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:26 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Black Sea R&D bearings are amazing. I have a set to eventually put in as well as one of his new drive shafts. Check the nub on the clutch end to see if yours is worn, or just surrender and order one of this new ones.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:34 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I have a set of those that I could possibly be persuaded to part with PM me.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:59 PM
ddombrowski
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odonnell
Just out of curiosity - why 5 bearings?

Just thinking out loud here. The bearings don't support much of an axial load, in fact it should be as close to zero as possible. They simply center the shaft. I was thinking about the bearing placement a few years ago and Porsche's placement, and quantity, made me think that it was to do with shaft harmonics. Sort of like nodes on a standing wave (guitar string analogy). Maybe the placement and quantity are at specific points to somewhat cancel harmonics and kill vibration associated with a 6' long shaft spinning at engine RPM.

Just thinking out loud, may be zero truth to that.
No, you've got it right. The bearings will 0 out radial displacement at their placed position which will be a node in a vibrating beam. The more nodes (or the shorter the span in between nodes), the higher the natural frequencies of the beam thats vibrating.

Natural frequencies that overlap with driving frequencies (rotation speed of shaft) are bad news. So Porsche likely looked at the frequency response of the driveshaft and picked an adequate number of bearings to bump the natural frequencies up outside of the rev range of the engine.

Considering that most of these torque tubes have lasted 30 years, I'd say however many Porsche decided to put in there was the right answer from an engineering standpoint, which includes cost.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

So how about if a new driveshaft is installed and is made of better quality materials which I would think would have an effect on harmonics? If so that meterial has never been tested by Porsche. So I'm thinking the R&D after the name Black Sea hold some truth? I don't mind researching for them. I highly dought I will have any issues, but in 30 years if I'm still alive all let you know what I have found.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:16 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ddombrowski
No, you've got it right. The bearings will 0 out radial displacement at their placed position which will be a node in a vibrating beam. The more nodes (or the shorter the span in between nodes), the higher the natural frequencies of the beam thats vibrating.

Natural frequencies that overlap with driving frequencies (rotation speed of shaft) are bad news. So Porsche likely looked at the frequency response of the driveshaft and picked an adequate number of bearings to bump the natural frequencies up outside of the rev range of the engine.

Considering that most of these torque tubes have lasted 30 years, I'd say however many Porsche decided to put in there was the right answer from an engineering standpoint, which includes cost.
I had a long look at this and chatted to an automotive engineering guru who said exactly as above. The positioning of the bearings would have been in part designed to align and negate with waves in the drive shaft. Random positioning was not in his view a good idea. Interestingly the 928 TT runs with 3 bearings and a dampener unit which is a different approach again.

Quick Reply: Black Sea R&D 5 super bearing TT