Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Engine Harness: Who wants a NEW ONE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 12:06 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
For brand new harnesses I would need new factory connectors if I wasn't sent a harness for rebuilding and using the old connectors or whatever could be reused, each harness sent to me would be evaluated. I would need the proper wires with the factory color codes, proper terminal ends. Pretty much everything if I'm making the harness from scratch. Even the firewall pass thru for the harness. And the proper wire crimp tool with the proper terminals for the factory connectors, wire terminal extract tools if I'm to reuse an old connector. And the wire sheethes in all the different sizes to include the small diameter thermal sheeting for the oil sensor wire on 87+ harnesses and the wire harness hold down plastic connectors. I have an 86 and 87 951 harness I can reverse engineer for the wiring diagram and connector the locations and which direction the sensor wires branch off the harness. And if anyone would want a custom setup they could send me the lengths needed where the sensors branch off the harness for whatever sensor or any custom setup really. But I would need a schematic for custom jobs. Coil on plug setups, sequential injection whatever really. And I got the time and experience and then some. I just don't have really anything to make one from scratch. Didn't think I would be doing it for everyone till now. Cool with me.
It seems you are offering to make everyone's harness free of charge as long as someone supplies consumables/equipment. No offence but I'm sure this will also fall through. I just remade mine with GXL wire and factory style connectors. To get a factory finish took days. Tracing wires from plug to DME/KLR connector and then pulling all of them through the factory firewall snorkel was very time consuming. All of the grounds and the 12V switched power are compression crimped inside the snorkel which means determining wire lengths is much more difficult than most engine harnesses. The wires and connectors are all metric which means you will be estimating AWG equivalents. Many wire colors are not available so you will be recording new wire colors for future reference. Many connectors are NLA which means you will be depinning and resoldering terminals. I'm also OCD but have the correct crimping and depinning tools which improves efficiency. I could put together a hack job rebuilt harness in a few hours but to do a factory job will require days.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:29 PM
cas951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested
88 turbo S
Old 05-21-2017, 12:33 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not offering my services for free, I'm simply saying I get one for free for my work. Perks of the job. And the first few would take some time. After that I would have a system down and it would not take that long. Thanks for your high hopes. And I'm not a hack job kinda guy. Military aviation doesn't put up with hack jobs, but thanks. And I know what the job would take thanks for your wisdom. Perhaps I'll just make new ones for myself seeing how the support here has evaporated. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2017, 01:53 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think support has evaporated for you. A bunch of people are interested. I just put in my 2 cents that I found it to be a big undertaking. If you have the time this could be a lucrative economic endeavor given the massive amount of interest every time someone posts about refurbished harnesses. It sounds like you have the skills. If you also have the time I think you pretty much also have a decent side business if you undertook this project.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:24 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Whoever makes a new direct replacement harness for the 951 is going to make good money. Has to be all new wires with all new connections, besides the NLA connectors which would come from donor harnesses. Has to be someone out there who wants to make a small fortune on these. You'd basically own the market on direct fit replacement harness.....
Old 05-26-2017, 03:02 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You would have to mass produce them in order to make it even worthwhile making. Think about how long it takes to make a harness (if you have all the connectors and correct parts) and then much you can ask for it and then decide
I am not too sure that most qualified people would be ok to spend two working days for the harness (plus shipping, handling etc) just to get perhaps 500-600 usd (minus expenses). Would you work your *** off with such a job requiring knowledge, skills and tools for just perhaps 150-200 usd a day?

I could make the harnesses but to be honest it is not worth it. I have all the connectors new sans the square one with round pins and have made few harnesses (not a copy of 951 though, but several FOR 951).
Old 05-26-2017, 10:21 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Raceboy
You would have to mass produce them in order to make it even worthwhile making. Think about how long it takes to make a harness (if you have all the connectors and correct parts) and then much you can ask for it and then decide
I am not too sure that most qualified people would be ok to spend two working days for the harness (plus shipping, handling etc) just to get perhaps 500-600 usd (minus expenses). Would you work your *** off with such a job requiring knowledge, skills and tools for just perhaps 150-200 usd a day?

I could make the harnesses but to be honest it is not worth it. I have all the connectors new sans the square one with round pins and have made few harnesses (not a copy of 951 though, but several FOR 951).
I think with being the only place offering a fully new harness you'd own the market and could set the price pretty much where ever you wanted to make it worth your time.... I know I'd spend much more then that to get a new harness that was direct fit. I kick myself for not getting a new one from Porsche before it went NLA...and those prices were crazy high.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:34 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 498 Likes on 266 Posts

Hey guys.

I'm the one who wasn't "credible and reliable" according to rcarpi2. Truth of the matter is I'm making, on average two 928 harnesses per week and that's on top of the back log of cars I'm working on, which at current count is 36 waiting in line. Sorry I couldn't make this a priority as I've already got 1/2 the wiring and most of the connectors on hand. There is no way I'd be able to do them in a timely manner. Better to just cancel my involvement then do as so many have in the past, which is over promise and under deliver.

If my work load slows down I can take this project on again but can't make any promises at this time. Wish you guys luck.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:37 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

This.

I considered doing this myself. Sourced almost all the connectors (had to tap multiple sources, all but one were not US-based), pins, etc. Acquired multiple spools of wire, already owned all of the correct crimp tools. I was set to go.

It's an insane amount of work. Very tedious. And really, if priced much above 600-700 I just didn't think there'd be many buyers. Too many cheap folks in the 951 game more interested in buying turbos exhausts and boost controllers than maintenance like timing belts and fuel lines (see it all the time here) - much less a wiring harness that essentially gains them nothing from a performance perspective.

And at 600-700, there just wasn't any real margin in it. Not enough for it to be worth the time involved in assembling, testing, selling, or the headaches that are sure to follow when one falls into the hands of an idiot who can't troubleshoot his way out of a paper bag, has some unrelated oddball problem with his car and blames it on my harness.

Kudos to the guys trying to make a 'go' of it. You have my utmost respect and I wish you guys the best. I have no idea how guys out there can do it.
Old 05-28-2017, 04:46 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Spot on Peep!

I've made several harnesses for people and the time investment versus financial reward makes offering them difficult. Very few people in this group are willing to pay for a quality harness when it looks "so easy" to assemble.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:44 AM
rcarpi2
Intermediate

Default Harnesses Available

I just had Kroon create a factory fresh harness for my 1989 Turbo... beautiful work! Don't hesitate to ping them to build a new one for you.
Old 04-26-2020, 07:48 PM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Can you comment about how much that ran?
Old 04-26-2020, 08:06 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by black944 turbo
Can you comment about how much that ran?
https://www.kroonwireharnesses.com/i...y&path=113_114
Old 04-27-2020, 05:07 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by rcarpi2
I just had Kroon create a factory fresh harness for my 1989 Turbo... beautiful work! Don't hesitate to ping them to build a new one for you.

I'll pat myself on the back here... Bought an '89 harness from Lart for the sole purpose of sending to Kroon. Gave it to them last year for validation of wire lengths and connectors. They built mine shortly thereafter and now it's snuggled in my closet waiting it's turn on The List.
The following users liked this post:
Droops83 (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 08:13 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks this is the first time I have seen actual product.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Engine Harness: Who wants a NEW ONE?