Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A $200k 87 944 Turbo and how we got there.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 01:02 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 103 Posts
Default A $200k 87 944 Turbo and how we got there.

Greetings Porsche Enthusiasts,

Allow me to introduce myself; I'm Helio. My enduring passion for all things Porsche traces its roots back to my childhood in the late '70s and '80s when I first encountered the IMSA 935s and 962 race cars. In my late teens, a fateful encounter with a book by Bruce Anderson and a feature in Road & Track Magazine, highlighting Porsche's 1988 model lineup, ignited a profound fascination with Porsche's racing history and its unmistakably distinctive cars. Besides, I must admit, the notion of turning heads and attracting attention, especially from the ladies, was rather appealing.

I vividly recall the moments spent at my local Porsche dealer, where a brand-new Rose Gold 1988 951 Turbo S, adorned with the turbo decal on the passenger front fender, captured my heart. However, as a freshly-turned 20-year-old newlywed, my budget at the time didn't quite align with Porsche ownership. So, I opted for a 1989 Trans Am instead.

Nevertheless, my infatuation with Porsche endured. I found myself repeatedly returning to the Porsche dealership, just to catch another glimpse of that same unsold Rose Gold beauty over the next couple of years. It seemed fate had other plans for me. Yet, the dream of owning a Porsche, particularly a 911, remained firmly entrenched in my heart, even though it felt like an unattainable aspiration at the time.

Then, in 1990, a stroke of luck came my way. I stumbled upon a 1986 944 Turbo, which had recently been recovered by insurance after being stolen. Remarkably, it came with a clean title and, apart from a missing radio, was in remarkable condition. This marked the beginning of my Porsche journey. Keep in mind, this was my first Porsche, and back in those days, there was no YouTube to turn I had to learn the ropes the old-fashioned way. My father in law was a truck mechanic and helped me do my first clutch job on this 951 the the power rack them the BIG one, timing belt went. I had noi idea back then. That was expensive back then. Ouch! anyways Got her back on the road running great and installed a set of chip from Auto authority. A few months lates in early 1991 I was able to trade up to my dream Porsche 911 Carrera with a 3.2, That was it. I have since owned a few 911's and now own 1992 964 Turbo Black Black 3.6 turbo wheels the ultimate Porsche, 31 years of 911's and then it happened, my son is turning 16 and want to buy his first car. I found a nice high mileage 1987 944 base from California for him to learn on. Now, I have the 944 Bug again, I also bought myself a 1987 951 that looked just like my first Porsche. Stay tuned .

My Porsche journey had modest beginnings, but it was the start of a lifelong love affair with these remarkable machines. I look forward to sharing stories, insights, and experiences with all of you fellow Porsche aficionados Porsche aficionados

Old 09-25-2023, 01:27 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

This 1987 944 base belongs to my son bought in April of 2022, and despite its impressive 250,000-mile journey, it remains remarkably clean both inside and out. The initial challenge it presented was a worn-out clutch. Taking a page from my own youthful experiences, my son decided to take matters into his own hands and tackle the job himself. Along the way, he also performed some essential maintenance tasks, including resealing the transmission, enhancing the driving experience with the only 944 short shift kit, and attending to wheel bearings and brakes. To complete the rejuvenation, we opted for a factory Porsche windshield installation and outfitted it with a fresh set of Michelin AS4 tires.

While my son's primary residence is with his mother, and she doesn't quite share our enthusiasm for garage projects, I had the privilege of driving this 944 extensively during its restoration journey. It's been a rewarding and nostalgic experience that I continue to cherish. After all, who can resist the allure of these classic Porsches, even if they come with a side of "mom's rules"?

Cheers to shared memories and the joy of working on these fantastic cars!

Last edited by heliolps2; 09-25-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-25-2023, 01:59 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

In August 2022, I found myself facing a rear bearing issue with my son's 944, and not having the necessary bearing puller for the rear, I decided to take it to a local Porsche shop that specializes in 944s. This was my first visit to this particular shop, and I was pleasantly surprised to meet Ivan, the owner, who turned out to be a genuinely nice guy.

While waiting for the work to be completed, I took the opportunity to explore the shop's lot. It was there that I laid eyes on a striking Black on Black 951, complete with a full cage and race seats. It immediately triggered a sense of nostalgia as it bore a striking resemblance to a car I owned back in the day. Ivan efficiently finished the job, and a few hours later, I was heading home.

About a week later, I received an unexpected call from Ivan. He mentioned that he had noticed my interest in the black 951 on his lot and explained that the owner had lost interest in repairing the car and needed it off his premises. Ivan suggested that if I was interested, I should make an offer to the owner. So, I did just that, offering $4,000, and to my surprise, the owner accepted the deal. I couldn't believe my luck.

The next step was to thoroughly inspect my new acquisition, and this is where the real adventure began. I brought the car back to the shop and had Ivan put it on the rack for a closer look. Here's what I had just acquired:
  • It's a 1987 944 Turbo with only 73,183 miles on the odometer.
  • For the better part of 20 years, it served as a DE (Driver's Education) car.
  • It came with a comprehensive service history dating back to its purchase.
  • The majority of the paint is original, with only the front having been repainted, but no signs of accident damage.
  • Unfortunately, the engine has a rod knock, specifically in the number 2 cylinder.
Now, let's talk about the extensive list of modifications on this car:
  • Majestic Turbo with an upgraded K27/8 turbo
  • New rod bearings and engine mounts at 68,245 miles on 1/14/13
  • Lindsey Racing reconditioned head without rings (at 65,300 miles)
  • Wide fire ring head gasket
  • Lindsey Racing Quad M tune
  • Lindsey Racing dual-port wastegate
  • Lindsey Racing wastegate dump to atmosphere kit with a muffler
  • Lindsey Racing steam vent kit
  • Lindsey Racing venturi delete kit
  • Lindsey Racing intercooler pipes
  • Lindsey Racing manual boost controller
  • Lindsey Racing Stage 1 head.
  • Authority Stage II chips
  • EVO diverter valve
  • A/C delete
  • Siemens 55# fuel injectors
  • Paragon Products adjustable fuel pressure regulator
  • Innovate Motorsports wideband A/F gauge
  • Autometer external boost gauge
  • Autometer exhaust backpressure gauge
  • Autometer fuel pressure gauge
  • Powerhaus aluminum pressure plate with 3,200 clamping #
  • Powerhaus lightweight flywheel
  • Sachs sport disk
  • Powerhaus full-width oil cooler with braided lines
  • Powerhaus race-prepped oil pan and pick-up tube
  • Oil pick-up tube support bracket
  • Turbo S brakes
  • Porterfield R4 brake pads
  • Frozen rotors (slotted)
  • Lindsey control arms
  • Double adjustable Porsche cup Koni coilover struts front and rear
  • Hyper coils with maintaining springs (700# fronts, 900# rears)
  • Torsion bars deleted
  • 28 mm adjustable front sway bar
  • Weltmeister adjustable rear sway bar
  • Brey Krause shock tower brace
  • Adjustable camber plates
  • Factory limited-slip transaxle
  • Fabspeed 3” cat bypass pipe
  • Fabspeed 3” cat-back exhaust system
  • Momo Mod 78 350mm suede steering wheel
  • Sparco EVO 2 seats
  • Autopower 6-point cage
  • G Force 5-point belts
  • 17-inch Turbo twist wheels with 225/255 tires
It's safe to say that I stumbled upon quite a gem with this 944 Turbo, and I'm excited to embark on this journey of bringing it back to its former glory. It's a testament to the enduring appeal of these classic Porsches.

Looking forward to sharing more updates and experiences with this amazing community of fellow Porsche enthusiasts!

Last edited by heliolps2; 09-25-2023 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Smudo (10-02-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 02:28 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

The following day, I delved deeper into the project. It had been three decades since I last worked on a 944, and I knew this was going to be quite a challenge. My initial step was to inspect the rod bearing, and as I had suspected, it was in a sorry state. The metal debris was scattered throughout the engine. With late August 2022 upon us, it was evident that the engine needed to come out.

So, I hoisted it onto the engine stand and began the meticulous process of dismantling it down to the block. I struck a deal with Ivan to address the repairs. We decided to replace the worn-out block with a good, used one equipped with fresh bearings, seals, a water pump, and belts, utilizing components salvaged from the original engine. Over the next couple of months, I dedicated myself to cleaning the chassis and commenced disassembling the interior to restore it to its factory glory. Additionally, I undertook the task of reinstating the air conditioning system, which had been previously removed.

By mid-October 2022, I was back in possession of a beautifully restored chassis, eagerly awaiting the reassembly process. It's been an incredible journey, rekindling my passion for these remarkable machines and reviving the 944 to its former glory. Looking forward to sharing more updates and experiences with you all.

Old 09-25-2023, 02:31 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

More picture

Old 09-25-2023, 02:35 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

I also noticed the Turbo needed to be rebuilt. I had Tim's Turbo rebuild the cartridge and my son and put the rest back together, More pics

Old 09-25-2023, 03:01 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

While the engine was undergoing a comprehensive rebuild, I simultaneously embarked on the interior restoration journey. This phase presented its own set of challenges, starting with the task of sourcing various parts. I scoured through resources like John Graves, eBay, and DC Automotive, among others, to assemble the necessary components.

My focus then shifted to addressing the existing modifications within the cabin. I began by carefully removing the partially welded and bolted-in roll cage, followed by the race seats and harnesses. Next on the list was the dashboard, which bore cracks and holes from the previously installed racing gauges. Fortunately, I stumbled upon a dash without any cracks and a stock airbag steering wheel in excellent condition, giving the interior a more authentic appearance.

The sunroof presented its own puzzle, as it was missing all its operating gear, including cables, gears, and the motor. After some research and diligent part hunting, I managed to acquire all the necessary components, and the sunroof now functions flawlessly.

The focus then shifted to addressing the absence of carpeting, rear seats, seat belts, and the stock power seats. With each addition, my 944 Turbo began to resemble its former self more closely. To enhance the driving experience, I also installed new speakers and a Sony CarPlay system, seamlessly integrating modern technology into this classic Porsche.

The interior transformation has been a labor of love, bringing my 944 Turbo closer to its original state and evoking fond memories of my earlier ownership of a similar vehicle. It's been a rewarding journey, and I can't wait to share more updates with you all.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:06 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

More picture of the interior, updated LED lights

Old 09-25-2023, 03:33 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

The engine installation process went quite smoothly. As many of us have experienced, that initial engine start-up is always a bit nerve-wracking – you can't help but wonder if you've missed something crucial. With the maze of vacuum hoses and wiring in a 944 Turbo, it's understandable how a newcomer might find it daunting. Fortunately, in my case, the engine fired up without any hitches.

However, I did encounter a couple of issues. Firstly, the engine was running hot, and I traced this to a faulty thermostat. Once that was replaced, the temperature regulation was back to perfect. The second concern was the oil pressure, which was reading at 3 bar. I swapped out the sending unit, and that resolved the issue.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the Fabspeed racing exhaust; it was producing too much noise and fumes for street use. So, I opted to replace it with a new Fab Speed 3-inch full exhaust system featuring a muffler and a 200-cell catalytic converter. I retained the Fab Speed turbo downpipe, and the transformation was remarkable. The car was running exceptionally well.

The next challenge on my list was dealing with the Lindsey Racing Quad MAF Tune. It seemed to be running too rich, and I wasn't entirely familiar with its intricacies. To err on the side of caution, I drove it with a modest 10psi boost for a while. I also removed all the red hoses and replaced with them black hoses including the intercooler pipes and spark plug wires and battery and battery cover. all the bright colors is not my thing, I like the stealth stockish look.

Looking ahead, I'm excited about the new 2023 Rouge/LR MAP/MAF Kit, which I plan to incorporate into my 944 Turbo. It's all part of the ongoing journey of fine-tuning and enhancing the performance of this classic Porsche.

Stay tuned for more updates and insights!

AA996 (02-08-2024)
Old 09-25-2023, 03:48 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

Throughout the winter of 2022/2023, my focus turned to addressing the paint imperfections and dings on my car. It seemed like every panel, from the roof down, had its fair share of small dings that needed attention. The paint itself required some serious correction.

The paint correction process demanded a total of 18 hours spread over four days. This involved meticulous work to bring back the car's original luster. To ensure long-lasting protection and a stunning finish, I applied Car Pro ceramic coating. Additionally, I dedicated some time to interior detailing, making sure every nook and cranny was spotless.

Recognizing the need for specialized dent repair, I enlisted the services of a PDR (Paintless Dent Repair) expert. The transformation was truly astonishing – every dent on the car was expertly addressed. Though it came at a cost of $1,500, the results were undeniably worth it.

During this time, I also took the opportunity to replace the rear hatch seal and the hatch closing pins. I absolutely love how smoothly the hatch now opens with just the push of a button. Moreover, all the interior features are in perfect working order, including the clock and both power seats.

It's been a comprehensive process, but the efforts have paid off handsomely, leaving me with a car that not only looks stunning but also functions flawlessly.

Last edited by heliolps2; 09-25-2023 at 03:56 PM.
AA996 (02-08-2024)
Old 09-25-2023, 04:02 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

More Pics,
I also installed 968 mirrors. match's my 964 Turbo. You might of noticed the S2 my girlfriend also got the 944 Bug. lol

Old 09-25-2023, 04:16 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

I almost forgot to mention another important upgrade I made to the car – I swapped out the springs. Originally, it felt like riding on a skateboard with 700-pound springs in the front and 900-pound springs in the rear. The transformation was significant, and it now rides more akin to an MO30 setup with 250-pound springs in the front and 350-pound springs in the rear.

Looking ahead, I have plans to further enhance the suspension setup. I intend to replace the Porsche cup Koni shocks with KW V3 coilovers while retaining the same springs, possibly opting for 400-pound springs in the rear for a balanced performance. This should take the handling to a whole new level.

Additionally, I performed a brake upgrade, installing Porsche Turbo factory rotors and pads. I also reinstalled the sensors and thoroughly flushed the system with ATE Gold Dot 4 brake fluid. The results were remarkable – the braking performance is now exceptionally smooth and quiet. I also took the opportunity to fine-tune the ride height for that perfect stance.

Completing the package, I fitted new Michelin tires, and the car now handles like a dream. I have driven her 5000 miles in the last 12 months, I must admit I'm addicted. The thrill of owning and enhancing this car is simply irresistible

The following 2 users liked this post by heliolps2:
Droops83 (09-26-2023), Smudo (10-02-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 04:22 PM
Tony
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 580 Likes on 302 Posts

Cool story and a great group of cars!
heliolps2 (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 04:28 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

You may have noticed that the car originally came to me with the AC system deleted. However, this arrangement didn't quite align with my plans, as I intended to enjoy extensive drives with the car, and comfort, including having a functional AC, was a priority for me.

In May 2023, I embarked on the challenging journey of sourcing all the necessary parts to bring the AC system back to life. It was a bit of a headache, not to mention expensive and quite a logistical puzzle, as I needed brackets, a new compressor, new lines, a condenser, a dryer, sensors and a host of new seals and hardware. Keep in mind that this car had been without AC for two decades.

To my astonishment, once I had replaced all these components, the AC system sprung back to life, and it was nothing short of spectacular. The vent temperatures now register at a refreshing 29 degrees, even on hot days with temperatures in the high 90s. Everything fell into place – all the switches and fans operated flawlessly.

The resurrection of the AC system was a remarkable achievement, making my driving experiences even more enjoyable, especially during those scorching summer days
Old 09-25-2023, 04:31 PM
heliolps2
Rennlist Member

I recently acquired the Lindsey Racing MAF Kit just last month through Dave, and I must say, the installation was a breeze, and it works perfectly.

Now, let's talk about the 2023 kit; it's been redesigned to be even more user-friendly. My ride is an '87 951 Street only with just 79k miles on the clock and impressive 140 compression across all cylinders. I've also got 6% leak down numbers. As for my setup, I'm rocking the dual-port wastegate with an MBC, set to a comfortable 15 psi boost. I've also installed the LR AFPR, maintaining a steady 44 psi. To top it off, I've got the KKK 27.8 Turbo with a FabSpeed full 3 exhaust system with 200 cell cat in there. The gas in my area is 93 oct.

The results? A smooth idle and seamless acceleration all the way to full boost. With my FQS set at 0, I'm getting 14.5 to 15 at idle and cruise, and a safe 12.0 at full boost in third and fourth gears. Considering the cooler DC temperatures at around 70 degrees, it's just right.

Now, for those scorching hot months, I'm planning to switch the FQS to #1. This setting gives me 11.8 at full boost and 14.5 to 14.7 during cruising. I tested this setup myself last week when the temperatures hit the 90s.

I couldn't be happier with how it's performing. Love it!

Last edited by heliolps2; 09-26-2023 at 06:08 PM.

Quick Reply: A $200k 87 944 Turbo and how we got there.