Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trans stuck in gear after synchro repair

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 AM
ziricote
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans stuck in gear after synchro repair

So the story is that I pulled the trans out to replace my 2nd gear synchro. Everything went fine, I opened it up and had a shop press the gears off and swap the new synchro in. Reassembled the trans, making sure the detents were in place and the reverse gear pin was in the slot. Got the trans back in the car, took it for a test drive and everything was great, smooth shifting.

Next morning, try to put it in reverse and it won't engage. Try to run back through first and it gets worse, eventually the shifter can only engage 2 gears. With the shifter in neutral position the car goes forward when I let out the clutch. Pulled the trans back out. Removed shifter pin cover but pin won't come out and have to move 1st/2nd fork by hand because it's engaged. Once I moved the forks by hand and corrected the situation, I can now select any gear. I'm not positive but I think the trans was engaged in 1st and reverse at the same time. The selector rod was in 2-3 neutral position with both adjacent forks engaged. If I move the shift forks manually, I can select a gear with 1-2 and 5-R simultaneously. So I'm wondering if one of the detents fell out or if this is normal behavior? It is preventing me from selecting 1-2 and 3-4 together or 3-4 and 5-R, but allowing 1-2 and 5-R.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-23-2016, 03:27 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

look for Dimi944 here on the list or Kevin, they both specialized in transmission
Old 10-23-2016, 10:06 PM
ziricote
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I think I found the source of the problem. The fact that I could engage the 1-2 and 5-R forks at the same time seemed to indicate that the small pin detent on 3-4 had to be missing. I opened the case back up, pulled the fork out and sure enough the pin was gone. Couldn't find the pin inside the case, then checked the floor of my shop and luckily spotted it near my workbench! I reassembled everything and the lockouts now work as intended. I used thicker grease to hold the pin in this time - the lithium grease I used first time out was obviously not sticky enough and I didn't notice the pin had fallen out.

Quick Reply: Trans stuck in gear after synchro repair