Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bolt on Garrett or New Tech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 02:54 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John said there is less than 10% difference in power between his stage 2, 2rx, and 3rx on pump at 15psi, and therefore recommended the 2rx for the street for better spool/threshold. I'm seeing what he would recommend for W/M.

His piggypack will control the W/M, but it seems like good failsafe kits (like the aquamist HFS3) control themselves independently, so not sure how much benefit the piggyback would be.

Edit: For W/M, higher boost, or aiming for 400whp+, he recommends the 3rx, otherwise go for the 2rx that should spool 100-200rpm sooner.

Last edited by bradthebold; 10-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

And here are the prices from SFR to fit a Garrett turbo.

304SS crossover-$999
304SS 3" downpipe-$299
Vband clamps-$100
Stainless braided 3an oil feed line-$100
Oil drain softline with fittings-$175 or
Oil drain hardline with fittings-$225
Billet engine mount-$500
total-$2073-$2123

Plus $1500-2000 for a GT or GTX and we're at ~$3600-4100 for just the turbo setup. Though that does include a new crossover pipe as well. Minus the crossover pipe and it looks like it's similar cost to a Vitesse turbo.

I think I'm leaning towards a 3rx with meth for ease of install and power.

Is John's support still awesome? He's been great answering my questions so far and I haven't read anything bad about his support for first party customers, but there has definitely been grief over second hand support that he says has changed things. His website says "Each performance kit includes tuning support. During the first 30 days, from the date of purchase, you receive one hour of phone support and free e-mail support."

Is that just a formality on the website? I am overhauling everything and would not have it running within 30 days and 1 hour of support before being charged seems like the opposite of everything I've previously read about him. Or his support still as great as ever and it's just there to protect himself?
Old 10-19-2016, 03:00 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes - very responsive. Reach out to Tom McGuinn or Crazy Eddie for references. My guess, having run my own business a time or two, is that the language John uses for support is a backstop to protect him. It's always possible to get a small percentage of customers taking advantage of the business model. It probably allows him to deliver as much service as he feels is fair, with the contractual protection built in that he doesn't walk into the never-ending story.
Old 10-19-2016, 03:54 PM
bradthebold
Instructor

That's what I figured. I've never read anything bad about primary customers getting service, just 2nd+ hand people complaining about not getting enough free help from him.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:20 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bradthebold
That's what I figured. I've never read anything bad about primary customers getting service, just 2nd+ hand people complaining about not getting enough free help from him.
John at Vitesse customer service is second to none. I have his MAF, SMT6, MoMonitor, V-Knock and Wasted Spark kit. ALL of Which was purchase USED. I never had any issues getting support from John. He's been a great help with wiring and tuning of his products. Ive kept from moving to the latest and greatest cause his products just work. They work damn well.

Quick Reply: Bolt on Garrett or New Tech?