No weld mount for wideband o2

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default No weld mount for wideband o2

Made by AEM (can't edit title )

Quick product review in case any one else is thinking of trying this. The tl;dr version is: it's not bad but you might want to experiment with the size ranges a little.

A lot of people probably won't see the point in this product - but if like me you can't weld, and finding a shop to weld an O2 bung in place is a hassle, then any alternative that allows an easy DIY install is a godsend.

I wanted to install a WB02 to help me figure out some issues I've been having and this looked like it would be just the ticket. But would it seal properly? After reading lots of reviews I decided to take a chance on it.

It comes with an adhesive gasket and all hardware:

Obviously you need a smooth, round section of exhaust for this. Using the Lindsey Racing website as a guide for placement, I noticed that they use a section that has little ridges. I have the exact same exhaust, and I doubt the no weld mount would seal there.

So I opted to go a little further forward onto the smooth section. This makes placement a little tricky, because you have to make sure you clear the starter terminals with plenty of room. Luckily, getting precise placement is very easy with this product, because you can put everything in place, sensor and all (with the plastic tip protector in place), and then slide/rotate the clamp around until you have everything exactly where you want it. Then just remove the sensor, holding the clamp in place, and mark where the hole should go.

Using this location required me to remove the starter for drilling - but as long as you mark your spot as described above with the starter in place, there's nothing to worry about.

I was just about able to get the drilling done with a Harbor Freight right angled drill attachment - anything bigger would have required removal of the wastegate dump pipe (a bear of a job with the LR exhaust). So keep that in mind if you're thinking of using one of these!

Then came the only really problem with this product: the size ranges they are sold with are lies - damn lies! My exhaust is exactly 3", and I used the 2.75-3" sized mount (the only one that covers 3" - next one up starts at 3.25, or so AEM says anyway). Well, it doesn't even come close to being suitable for a 3" pipe. The instructions tell you to measure and cut the gasket material so that it goes the whole way around, but they don't provide anywhere near enough gasket material to go the whole way around, and you need to get creative to even get the supplied bolts in place. Still, the supplied gasket does cover a area much larger than the hole, and with the clamp tightened down it seems to have stretched out a bit so I thought it would probably be fine.

In the end it does seem to have sealed well. I'm getting plausible readings from the sensor and I certainly can't feel any leaks. Still, I don't understand how they can get something like this wrong. They've done all the hard work - why ruin it for want of a few quick measurements?

A lot of reviewers on Amazon have said if they were doing it again they'd go with the 3.25" version for a 3" pipe. But that one has a small range - 3.25 to 3.5, and there's no guarantee it will fit a 3". Maybe AEM can be persuaded to correct this issue. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It was less hassle than the welding option and probably cheaper too.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ends of that clamp look like candidates for a good scraping - or can you rotate to a better position?
Edit: Looks like you're stuck with that position as you've already drilled the pipe...

Last edited by Rob in Oz; 08-10-2016 at 08:35 PM. Reason: had a better look!
Old 08-10-2016, 08:58 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah there was no other way I could do it really. There's a limited range the sensor can be in (minimum 10 degrees above horizontal). Maybe I could switch the clamp around but I'd never have gotten the bolts in - as it is, I had to use a big channel lock pliers to close it up enough, and I needed clearance at the bottom for that.

I'm not too worried though because other much bigger band clamps on this exhaust will scrape log before that one lol! It's never been an issue so far though.

Quick Reply: No weld mount for wideband o2