Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HX35 / K26 hybrid, anyone done it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 01:05 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I have Doug's 12cm hotside... I can confirm you'll need to grind the turbo mount and possibly the intake manifold and throttle body. A solution may be to use phenolic spacers under them manifold, purely for clearance. I believe BEP also makes aftermarket hotsides for the Holsets but I haven't researched them that much. They make a popular 0.55 a/r hotside that's bolt-on for DSMs.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 AM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone add more information on this, there seems to be a lot of hype about the Holset and then someone gives their experience with it and it doesn't sound so great. So what it sounds like to me is that it doesn't spool that fast but because it has a larger turbine it keeps building boost to redline. I had Charlie at Evergreen build me a high performance K27-8 using his magic and about to install it when I replace my head gasket, but I don't want to have regrets that I used this older technology, so I was looking at buying one of Tim's hybrid K26/Holset hybrid, but researching the Holset since I have the K27-8 for my stealth build, and I am not yet fully convinced, it almost sounds like spool wouldn't be faster, but the K27-8 would peak around 350 RWHP and the Holset hybrid has the potential to keep building HP upto around 450 RWHP if I had the supporting mods.

So for those of you with experience with the Holset or perhaps the Garrets, is there a real noticeable improvement with the newer technology if you are sticking with the stock downpipe etc.? I do have a lot of mods, including a high performance head and improved intake, intercooler, fuel and exhaust, MAF, dual port wastegate.... So I should be able to take advantage of some of the improvements it may have to offer. So with all the work and money I am dumping into this build, I just don't to regret not going with a newer turbocharger technology if it is worth it and turbo is hidden under the intake, etc. and wouldn't be very noticeable in my stealth build.

P.S. I have been reading everything I can on the Holset, but I haven't heard anything that seems to live up to the excitement people seem to have. I will say that Tim Scott of Tim's Turbo graciously answers questions, but I would love to hear someone who has a Holset on their 951 say that it spools fast and makes power to redline and beyond...... Most of what I hear doesn't sound like real fast spooling, but of course Blown944 (Sid) has a 11 second 944 using one it sounds like, so there must be something to it.

Thanks in advance.

Russell
Old 04-16-2018, 08:39 PM
Tripl7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been scouring the threads in search for info since I landed a free hx35, trying to figure the best approach on buying a hot side as mine is cracked. There really are no options as you may have found for a direct bolt on application as flanges are not the same requiring either modification to the x-over pipe flange and downpipe, or custom machining to a current housing to accept factory flanges.

Then arrives the choices of turbine housing sizes. Too small will obviously spool quick but may run out of flow on the top end. Too large(hx35 12cm turbine) and spool will suffer. It all matters to what other mods you have and recently displacement with the hybrid strokers being a mainstream goal for some.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please...
You also have to remember spool time will be reduced compared to a smaller turbo, somewhat due to the overall larger wheels in the turbo. Although what I have read from Sid and in other forums is that the wheels have a more efficient design to help with the spool characteristics.

I plan on running a .82 turbine for now until down the road when I have the parts for a stroker build, and imagine it shouldn't completely kill my low end. Of course this is going to require x-over and downpipe mods which doesn't sound like a good road for you to take in a "stealth" build.

As for real world results there are a handful of threads, unfortunately no dyno #'s to be presented to my knowledge.
Old 04-17-2018, 04:30 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No real information such as dyno runs was the issue and why I have been waffling on this. Tim Scott at Tim's Turbos actually offers a HX35 mounted to a custom K26 turbine housing and he includes the modified mount and oil lines for a reasonable price. He is very generous with his time and information. I was teetering on this purchase when some new exciting information came along that I am going with, I won't detract from this thread with that info, and will post about it elsewhere. But there is a bolt up option for the Holset, contact Tim.

Quick Reply: HX35 / K26 hybrid, anyone done it?