Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine Year Identification

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 09:35 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Year Identification

I spun the #2 rod bearing at the first race of the season. I got a reconditioned block from a fellow racer. The engine is assembled, in the car all ready and the last thing that I'm stuck at is the OPRV. The guy who sold me the short block is certain that it is an 87. But the late OPRV will not go in. The early does. The seller insists that the block is an 87. I don't want to have to remove the down pipes to look the serial number. Is there another way to identify if a block is an 86 or an 87? TIA
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take the oil cooler/filter housing off the block and take a look at the hole the OPRV inserts into. On blocks that require the early style OPRV you'll see a metal sleeve on that hole. The late style does not have a sleeve there.

Check this thread here post 16 photo shows the sleeve
Old 07-30-2016, 10:38 PM
Antonio
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1 If you take the oil cooler/filter housing off the block and take a look at the hole the OPRV inserts into. On blocks that require the early style OPRV you'll see a metal sleeve on that hole. The late style does not have a sleeve there.

Check this thread here post 16 photo shows the sleeve
Yes, the metal sleeve is there. That settles it. It is an 86 and the seller is wrong. Thank you Dave.

Quick Reply: Engine Year Identification