Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Cruise control malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 05:03 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise control malfunction

When I try to set the cruise control it puts it into acceleration mode. I am sure someone here has run across this problem, any help appreciated.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:21 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

After doing more research I think I will disassemble and clean the cruise control servo. I got the idea from Clark's garage and seems to line up with my vehicles symptoms.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Please post the results. My CC works OK for a while and the disengages so I'm going to try cleaning the servo to see if it helps. Not sure how difficult that is.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:33 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My clutch doesn't pop up to the full "up" position by itself - it needs a little help. If I forget and try to engage cruise when the clutch is not all the up, it's starts accelerating. Might check the switch on the clutch pedal, or make sure your clutch is engaging the switch.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:47 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Thanks for the tip Aglaes, I will check that.
Old 07-15-2016, 03:28 AM
redline7921
Advanced

You may want to investigate the capacitors in the cruise control brain.

Here is a thread that has some info.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...cheap-fix.html
Old 07-20-2016, 10:08 AM
MC Luc
Instructor

I have done nothing with the cruise control to date, but was able to take the vehicle on a 500 mile round trip long weekend into northern Michigan. On the way up the cruise control worked flawlessly and was nice to have. On the way down in was completely unresponsive. Go figure.
Old 07-20-2016, 04:02 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Failure to engage, unintended acceleration and failure to hold set speed are fairly common problems that can be a result of cracked solder joints. Remove CC control box, open and look for cracked solder joints. Reflow the joints and you may fix your problem. Flaky DME performance can also be from cracked solder joints.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:26 PM
redline7921
Advanced

If it worked for half your trip I would suspect the CC brain and not the servo. As mentioned above, check he solder joints, while you are in there might as well replace the capacitors.

I had intermittent issues and nothing worked including reflowing all solder joints, except replacing the caps. It's only a few dollars and takes very little time once the brain is opened up.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:35 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Guys - will do i will take out the CC computer box in the footwell. If i take out the CC box will it impact any other electrical devices or is it a closed loop? I.e. can I drive the car while I am repairing the CC box?
Old 07-24-2016, 06:39 PM
MC Luc
Instructor

Originally Posted by redline7921
If it worked for half your trip I would suspect the CC brain and not the servo. As mentioned above, check he solder joints, while you are in there might as well replace the capacitors.

I had intermittent issues and nothing worked including reflowing all solder joints, except replacing the caps. It's only a few dollars and takes very little time once the brain is opened up.
redline7921: I read your prior post regarding your repair of the computer board for the cruise control, excellent write-up, thank you. I will have to find an electronics store in my area since Radio Shack went bankrupt. How do you check for solder cracks? I am a newb when it come to this - do you look under the board or on top under the capacitors? At worse I will go to a computer repair shop I use for laptop repairs, they might be able to help with parts and soldering if I fail.

Quick Reply: Cruise control malfunction