Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can Rogue M-Tune Run w/o Chip?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:15 AM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default WTB: KLR Chip Re:Can Rogue M-Tune Run w/o Chip?

Reaching out to Joshua and other pre-LR M-Tune owners,

When I sent my DME in for a 28-pin conversion, I also asked Joshua to enable future use of the logger/tuner. When I received the DME back, I discovered there was no actual DME chip installed, which Joshua told me was OK and by design. Now, in the years since, I've never seen another DME without a chip. Is there any other way that data can be written to the board? There's also a toggle switch at the top right, is that M-Tune related?

When I opened my KLR, I also found a Guru chip instead of stock. What impact does an aftermarket KLR chip have on the M-Tune? Should I go back to stock?

All this is trying to troubleshoot a really rich run condition and overall not very smooth tune. I'm of course looking at vac leaks and cleaning my grounds, but thought I'd ask these questions too.

Thanks
Attached Images    

Last edited by bajabluejay; 06-30-2016 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:51 AM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bajabluejay
...When I opened my KLR, I also found a Guru chip instead of stock. What impact does an aftermarket KLR chip have on the M-Tune? Should I go back to stock
Did you try searching this forum for GURU KLR? I think you'll find it's probably best if you put the stock KLR chip back in there.

I could speculate on what Joshua did to make your DME run without an EPROM chip in place but let's let him answer that.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:30 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

I'm aware of Guru's reputation. What does the KLR chip do for me anyway if I'm running a MBC and no CV?
Old 06-26-2016, 05:52 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 368 Likes on 139 Posts

The program has just been directly loaded into the processor chip, absolutely nothing wrong with that. The switch tells the processor to run its program from internal memory or externally via the EPROM. That configuration is not stock so you are not likely to see it very often, but it is really smart. You can just pop in any 28pin chip you want and with the flick of that switch you will be running it. Pull out the chip then flick the switch back and your the way it was.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:18 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ftech9
The program has just been directly loaded into the processor chip, absolutely nothing wrong with that. The switch tells the processor to run its program from internal memory or externally via the EPROM. That configuration is not stock so you are not likely to see it very often, but it is really smart. You can just pop in any 28pin chip you want and with the flick of that switch you will be running it. Pull out the chip then flick the switch back and your the way it was.
Ah, that's must be it then. I just wanted to make sure I didn't misinterpret the situation so long ago. Love your DME, btw.
Old 06-30-2016, 11:11 PM
bajabluejay
Rennlist Member

I've reached out to Joshua for a call.

Does anyone have a KLR chip to sell me?

Quick Reply: Can Rogue M-Tune Run w/o Chip?