Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil Pan Gasket and Rod Bearing Replacement Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 08:49 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

If you'll use glycos be sure to check edge thickness really good. Some are way off.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:15 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
If you'll use glycos be sure to check edge thickness really good. Some are way off.
I thought Glyco was the only option for 944 bearings. I've never seen any other brand that fits.

And what's the problem with the edges and how can I even check that?

And can anyone comment on the pic of my old bearing? I think that the wear is normal but would like to hear from some people who know more about such things.

Last edited by superloaf; 08-01-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:42 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
I thought Glyco was the only option for 94 bearings. I've never seen any other brand that fits.

And what's the problem with the edges and how can I even check that?

And can anyone comment on the pic of my old bearing? I think that the wear is normal but would like to hear from some people who know more about such things.
I can't tell you much about your pic, except that the 2 lines that run the whole way along the length look strange to me. You should have a read through this - it might help.

Your best bet though is to take pics of all 8 pieces and start a new thread just for feedback on your bearing condition. Put it in the general 944 area, not the turbo-specific one, and it will draw the attention of people who know
Old 07-31-2016, 04:58 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by divil
I can't tell you much about your pic, except that the 2 lines that run the whole way along the length look strange to me. You should have a read through this - it might help.

Your best bet though is to take pics of all 8 pieces and start a new thread just for feedback on your bearing condition. Put it in the general 944 area, not the turbo-specific one, and it will draw the attention of people who know

Apparently my bearing is typical of 944s although mine is towards the more extreme. Thanks for the mahle link. According to that link, my bearing looks to be suffering from slight oil starvation and possible dirt contamination which makes sense as starvation is what kills the rod bearings on our cars.

Anyone know if running mobil 1 synthetic is not good with the new bearings? Should I start with standard oil and then switch to syn after break in? Is any break in really needed with just new rod bearings? And how about revs during break in?

Also, one weird thing I've noticed is a white/pinkish coating throughout the exhaust, including the spark plugs, O2 sensor, manifolds, crossover pipe, etc. It looks like the standard build up usually seen in these areas except that it is a very pasty white which turns to a pinkish hue and then almost to red in certain areas. And there is what seems like a large amount of build up considering the plugs aren't that old. Plugs are NGK iridium. Anyone ever see this?
Old 07-31-2016, 05:21 PM
Jon951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might want to check out Michael Mount's rod bearing mod to allow the use of clevite bearings. No changes to the crank are required but you do need to send him your rods.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:01 PM
Jon951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I just realized I was being redundant...
Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jon951
Sorry I just realized I was being redundant...
Thanks, seems like a worthwhile mod but I think I'd rather just bug the hell out of Clevite and get them to make a proper bearing that fits our cars. Why does no one else make these bearings?
Old 08-07-2016, 11:31 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Arrrggggggggggg, didn't notice it til now but my downpipe is cracked where it attaches to turbo. Apparently it has been without the support bolt into the block and that caused lots of stress on that flange. I don't think welding is a smart idea since the downpipe is double walled and ceramic lined. Has anyone welded their downpipe?

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket and Rod Bearing Replacement Build Thread