Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New Member Intro/ Question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 09:42 PM
Nadams951
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Intro/ Question?

I am new to this forum (finally joined!) and have been steady reading/ soaking up the vast knowledge that is floating around on here. I am in the process of getting my 86 951 back on the road as a daily driver. I am going through trying to track down/ fix as many of the leaks as I can find up front. One of the gaskets I will be replacing is the cam cover gasket. I know the timing belt has to come off to get this cover off, but does it have to come all the way off? Has anyone just released tension on the belt so the cam gear can come off and not fully take this belt off? Or would I be creating more work for my self? Any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:56 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

The belt can slip off the cam gear if you let out all the tension and you can just move it aside the cam housing, but depending on the age of the belt and all the work to get back there it just makes sense to change it if you can. I think 4 years and I would change it, or 30k. I forget what the book says. Also, if you are resealing the cam tower I'd do the cam seals too while it is on a bench. There are so many "while you are in there" jobs, but you need to weigh the cost of seals vs how willing you are to pull all those engine parts off again.
Old 06-09-2016, 10:04 PM
Nadams951
4th Gear

That's what I was thinking. I have a pretty lengthy list of parts on order to get everything back up to par. I appreciate the advice/ help!
Old 06-10-2016, 12:12 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome. Unfortunately with the age of these cars nearly every engine seal, rubber or plastic becomes a while your in there item.

Odds are if the paper tower gasket is leaking so is the cork one at the rear of the tower near the lifting eye.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:46 AM
geno
Advanced

Cork gasket +1
Easy. Cheap. Goofy to do while tower is on.
Old 06-10-2016, 11:48 PM
Nadams951
4th Gear

Yea, I have that rear cork gasket ordered with the cam tower gasket. Just trying to cover as much as i can while I'm in there without going crazy. I may do a 2.85 hybrid stroker motor in the near future. Just cant make up my mind on what the cars purpose will be. I'm leaning towards a DE/ Autocross/ Street car hot rod! But as with everything, only time and money will tell.. Thank You for all of the replies/ comments.

Quick Reply: New Member Intro/ Question?