Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The Right Exhaust Note

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 10:32 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
How much does tip length influence final sound?
Would adding 2" or so affect it significantly?

Do resonated tips really work?
Would using thicker pipe to DIY your own tip from the muffler make the sound different vs standard wall pipe?
whoa!! you seriously have 33.3k posts?? holy sh*t.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run the above mentioned pipes m80 as a mid muffler/resonator and it's a fantastic price for a well made straight through stainless muffler.
I don't have any of the raspy nonsense
Old 05-25-2016, 11:22 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
whoa!! you seriously have 33.3k posts?? holy sh*t.
lets just say I have a lot of time to kill, even at work.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:34 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bladed-vaults
I run the above mentioned pipes m80 as a mid muffler/resonator and it's a fantastic price for a well made straight through stainless muffler.
I don't have any of the raspy nonsense
Yeah, I'm gonna need quieter. Leaning towards fabspeed I suppose.

If I did just a stock muffler but deleted the cat, does anyone know where that would get me in terms of HP? I don't mind the stock sound but I would like it to breath a bit easier.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:24 PM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

kevin I was just suggesting the pypes as a mid muffler not to use a cannon like i do... Im probably the only clown on this forum using a muffler tip like the one i have on the end. pairing the pypes with a magnaflow or borla at the end would make for a deep but reletively not obnoxiously loud exhaust
Old 05-30-2016, 01:12 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bladed-vaults
kevin I was just suggesting the pypes as a mid muffler not to use a cannon like i do... Im probably the only clown on this forum using a muffler tip like the one i have on the end. pairing the pypes with a magnaflow or borla at the end would make for a deep but reletively not obnoxiously loud exhaust
Hey Bladed, Can you clarify for me what you mean? So you've gone catless....where did you get the pipe? Is it wider that the stock pipe? So you're saying just get the straight through pipe and add a magnaflow/borla?
Old 05-31-2016, 10:55 AM
Bladed-vaults
Instructor

my system is all custom its crimp bends but im not looking for epic hp numbers or lap times so that doesnt bother me. 3 inch turbo back. no cat and lindseys WG muffler dumped into the atomosphere. The area where my car is registered does not require emissions testing so I can get away with this......

Heres where ill start to catch flack from the other guys.

I see no reason to spend 1k plus on a super nice pre made exhaust system. most of us daily drive our cars and who honestly looks under the ride to see how nice the tubing is. I spent 400 bucks all said and done on my system by buying all the mufflers myself and taking it to a local exhaust shop. This way you can taylor your sound to your liking rather than have the same fabspeed (no disrespect) sound that everyone else has. and i didnt go with cheap stuff either. the HKS cannon on my car retails at 300 bucks i just found a sweet deal. do some shopping for mufflers and tips.. chances are you can make a real nice exhaust for relatively low pocket
Old 06-14-2016, 04:41 AM
kevinr1247
Instructor

On a cat bypass setup, I read that you have to remove the the intake manifold to get at the turbo outlet pipe, and the down pipe. Is that right? Or can everything be done from underneath the care? Reading some conflicting reports on the process.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:18 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr1247
On a cat bypass setup, I read that you have to remove the the intake manifold to get at the turbo outlet pipe, and the down pipe. Is that right? Or can everything be done from underneath the care? Reading some conflicting reports on the process.
You can do it underneath. It's 3 bolts to loosen it from the down pipe.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:59 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr1247
My '89 is due for exhaust and I've been doing some searching around. While I'm seduced by the horsepower gains that can be had, what often seems to accompany those gains is a raspy/poppy/sputtery sounding exhaust, similar to a tongue vibrating between an upper and lower lip...if you know what I mean.

I like the low tones of the stock exhaust, so I'm wondering if there is anything comparable but with some good HP gains also.

I did a short review of my 3" Fabspeed w/cat delete a couple of years ago:

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...st-review.html

Still very happy with it.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:01 AM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts

it takes some patience - like everything on this car - but i also removed mine from below.

Quick Reply: The Right Exhaust Note