Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FS: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:06 PM
tims944
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

interested, im in montreal, would maybe have it hauled here, send me a pm please
Old 04-15-2016, 04:17 AM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
At the border? Do they give you hassle anybody here done that buy a car in Canada?
It's not an issue. Mine is a Canadian car that I found on Craigslist on Vancouver Island. Pick a border to cross that is less traveled, rather than a main thoroughfare. 2.5% sounds about right, if the car was originally imported into Canada.

The transaction in Canada works a little different than what's typical in the U.S. My seller just walked me through the process. We both actually had to go to the tag office so that they could return their tag, if I remember correctly. Then I had to buy temporary insurance and temp tag at the same tagging office, which was cheap. Your seller should know what to do. It's standard practice in Canada. The insurance was only for a few days until I crossed the border.

At the border I presented the Bill of Sale which I purchased off a Canadian legal documents website. They're different for each province if I remember correctly. And I presented at the border, whatever paperwork the Canadians gave me at the tagging office.

At the border customs just tell 'em you need to import a car. You turn over some of the documents that were issued by the tag office and perhaps the bill of sale. I think they used the Bill of Sale to determine the tax/duty. But get copies of everything they take. That's what I did and it wasn't a problem. I didn't want to be stuck without the right documents when I went to get the title and registration. Homeland Security should give you a officially STAMPED document basically saying the car has been legally imported. That's what I gave to the state of Oregon. They take the original....again GET A COPY...and then they'll issue the tag and new title.

It was really easy. I'm just recalling the details that I remember. I came in through Port Angeles on the ferry out of Victoria which my seller recommended, as opposed to 5. It's the same process either way, but it's all about time. I was out of there in an hour, maybe and hour and a half. Plus it was a nicer drive back to Seattle as opposed to 5.

I like my '89 Turb-eh? No silly airbags on the Canadian cars. Oh yeah...and "it's in kilohmeters, eh?" No cruise control either. And also what I consider to be highly prized....the factory sport seats. Maybe there not rare but I don't see many with that option. Me likey!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:12 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Customs and Border Patrol issues on car imports

Being close to the Canadian border and with relatives in Canada, I sometimes consider purchase and import of a Canadian car or motorcycle. I've heard several anecdotes of this being a fairly straightforward process, depending on the particular vehicle and its particular factory certifications regarding safety equipment, emissions, and mandated fuel economy. The post just above is an example of an importation that went well, which is encouraging.

Alas, that is not always the case, as when a Canadian friend with a permanent resident green card tried to import a classic 30+ year old European car for personal use, but had years of hassles with Federal bureaucrats. Meanwhile, state bureaucrats would not allow licensing until the Feds signed off, and my friend considered himself lucky the car was not impounded pending proof of Federal compliance and approval. Perhaps you've seen the movie Rainman, where the Tom Cruise character has serious problems importing non-compliant Maseratis. Such issues can be fixed, but at what cost and time?

So, be aware of the issues which await border crossing and then title and license in your state.

See this website for starters: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...mxW7mNWzqZLSAA

What you want to avoid is finding yourself at a border crossing such as, say, Scobey, Montana and learning belatedly that a given car needs, say, steel reinforcement in the door panels, certified proof of cat converter EPA compliance, or US-spec running lights, etc. Such issues have come up regarding import-ability of at least some BMW cars which are legal in Canada, but not here in the US without cost-prohibitive mods. The devil is in the details.

Look before you leap.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:43 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dash01

Look before you leap.
I agree. I called the state of Oregon DMV and made absolutely sure that if it was imported federally, the state would import it. California may be different.

I also think with the 944 Turbo was no issue because the cars imported into Canada were the same as the U.S. cars...as far as emissions and safety.

Importing classic or antique vehicles / cars for personal use
Old 04-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Xaerran
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinr1247
... I also think with the 944 Turbo was no issue because the cars imported into Canada were the same as the U.S. cars...as far as emissions and safety.

Importing classic or antique vehicles / cars for personal use
Not entirely true - the rear bumpers wouldn't pass safety regulations, which is why we have a larger "reinforced" rear bumper with bumper pads... There were a few others items if I recall too. But it would probably take a real stickler to know these things.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:52 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xaerran
Not entirely true - the rear bumpers wouldn't pass safety regulations, which is why we have a larger "reinforced" rear bumper with bumper pads... There were a few others items if I recall too. But it would probably take a real stickler to know these things.
What about air bags, running lights, air conditioning, speedometer in kilometers, cruise control or lack thereof, etc.? I'd hate to get snagged by some overly officious customs inspector with a too-sharp pencil.

Also, what about mods to engine, emissions and exhaust systems? Some of this stuff will not pass muster at emissions checks when even an originally US-spec car is tested. California may be the most stringent, but some cities like Seattle take few prisoners.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:27 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Sorry I'm a little confused by what your listing here.

Canadian cars came with the same options as US. Living in Canada every Turbo I've owned or sat in had all the same options as US cars and the speedometers have both Miles and KM on the same gauge cluster.

Oh and to add to that. When the Canadian dollar was around 66 cents US about 80% of all turbos left Canada for the US

What about air bags, running lights, air conditioning, speedometer in kilometers, cruise control or lack thereof, etc.? I'd hate to get snagged by some overly officious customs inspector with a too-sharp pencil.

Also, what about mods to engine, emissions and exhaust systems? Some of this stuff will not pass muster at emissions checks when even an originally US-spec car is tested. California may be the most stringent, but some cities like Seattle take few prisoners.

Last edited by gruhsy; 04-18-2016 at 12:00 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:27 AM
E-man930
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Luis you need to get this car
Old 04-18-2016, 12:26 PM
kevinr1247
Instructor

Yeah, I'm not sure. But I was under the impression that the Canadian and U.S. cars were essentially the same. Interesting to know about the reinfornced bumper on the U.S. cars. There is no aesthetic difference that I can see. My Canadian car has the same emissions for example. And in 1989, in the U.S., airbags were not required but the U.S. cars were outfitted with them. At any rate, straight from the DHS website.

"What are the requirements for importing classic or antique vehicles / cars for personal use?

Generally, classic or antique vehicles are exempt from Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) pollution and safety requirements.

If the vehicle is at least 21 years old, there are no EPA compliance requirements upon importation.

A motor vehicle that is at least 25 years old can be lawfully imported into the U.S. without regard to whether it complies with all applicable DOT Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS)."

Last edited by kevinr1247; 04-18-2016 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling clarification

Quick Reply: FS: 1986 Porsche 944 Turbo