Timm's 952 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 01:55 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Yes it is and you can see the clutch master, all expected for RHD but I always thought their brake master would have been opposite ours but it's not so it must require some kind of linkage system to activate it.

T
There is a steel rod that goes from the brake peddle to the master behind the dash. For obvious reasons the booster has no room on the other side.
And RHD have its own clutch reservoir

P.s Nice work Tim, always love hearing good stories. BTW wheres your Power steering reservoir?
Old 08-15-2017, 02:23 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great to hear Timm, and very tidy engine bay. Congrats.
Thanks Patrick!

Originally Posted by OzJustin
Great to hear the rebuild is holding up Timm.

I'm keen to check out your engine bay at the next Cars and Coffee. Your wrinkle finished red cam cover has inspired me to do my S2!
Thanks Justin, glad I could be of service I've always thought that the 16V is a prettier engine in general, so yours will come up great with some new paint.

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Nice.

And congrats.

One thing I just now noticed and I have a question for the RHD guys, the brake master is on left like LHD, is there some kind of horizontal lever/linkage from your pedal set over to the other side that activates the master cylinder...?

T
Cheers. As Pauly says, the clutch master and slave moved to the right side, but the brake master remains in the same spot, activated by a bar that runs along behind the dash. On that topic, the RHD clutch master also has a shorter push rod, which caught me out when I swapped mine for a new one I bought from the US. Easy enough to transfer the pushrod from the old master to the new one though.

Originally Posted by Paulyy
There is a steel rod that goes from the brake peddle to the master behind the dash. For obvious reasons the booster has no room on the other side.
And RHD have its own clutch reservoir

P.s Nice work Tim, always love hearing good stories. BTW wheres your Power steering reservoir?
Thanks Pauly. I ended up depowering my rack earlier this year as it failed for the 3rd time. It's the one thing that's let me down multiple times, so I just got the ***** with it and deleted it. I thought I would hate it, but I've actually grown to like it. Also, removing the reservoir provided a convenient point to mount the catch can. Parking is a bitch though.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944crazy
Thanks Pauly. I ended up depowering my rack earlier this year as it failed for the 3rd time. It's the one thing that's let me down multiple times, so I just got the ***** with it and deleted it. I thought I would hate it, but I've actually grown to like it. Also, removing the reservoir provided a convenient point to mount the catch can. Parking is a bitch though.
Yeah i like the catch can location.

I bought another 924 while i continue to work on the other shell, they're manual racks. It's not to bad, even though i have a smaller steering wheel on it, but yeah parking can get annoying. I could just imagine having fat semi slicks at the front...
Old 08-15-2017, 06:33 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

That engine bay looks awesome. I too like the catch can although I am not sure I could give up the PS personally. Great to hear it's ticking along nicely. You will love the VEMS when you do go down that path although I, like you, am not in a position to fully exploit what it can do yet due to funds. I need to get my HO alt fitted, as stock one is giving me grief at idle when I have a heavy electrical load, and I want to fit wasted spark when I get alt fitted. Then I will need some dyno time but at least fitting the VEMS has meant I can drive the car all the time until I can afford it.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:49 AM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
That engine bay looks awesome. I too like the catch can although I am not sure I could give up the PS personally. Great to hear it's ticking along nicely. You will love the VEMS when you do go down that path although I, like you, am not in a position to fully exploit what it can do yet due to funds. I need to get my HO alt fitted, as stock one is giving me grief at idle when I have a heavy electrical load, and I want to fit wasted spark when I get alt fitted. Then I will need some dyno time but at least fitting the VEMS has meant I can drive the car all the time until I can afford it.
Cheers Bruce. I would be very interested to see your results when you've finished tuning your car. VEMs and a Vitesse Stage 2 sized turbo are exactly my plans...shame you are all the way down in Melbourne, otherwise I'd love to go for a ride. How do you like your turbo? What boost are you running, and when does it reach full boost? I'm not sure if I'd be able to get my hands on a Vitesse Stage 2, but I would be looking to find a similar turbo...it's a 50trim TO4E hybrid with some secret Vitesse tweaks right? Similar to a Lindsey super 48 I'd imagine?
Old 08-23-2017, 11:39 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice project, any dyno numbers / video?
Old 08-23-2017, 05:32 PM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by ealoken
Nice project, any dyno numbers / video?
Cheers. Nah I haven't had it on the dyno yet, but I will at some point to get a 'baseline' before future modifications. Seeing as it still has the stock k26-6 which runs out of puff and can only manage about 13psi at redline, I'd expect peak power is probably similar to stock. It should have a fair bit more torque lower in the rev range though.
Old 08-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Cheers. Nah I haven't had it on the dyno yet, but I will at some point to get a 'baseline' before future modifications. Seeing as it still has the stock k26-6 which runs out of puff and can only manage about 13psi at redline, I'd expect peak power is probably similar to stock. It should have a fair bit more torque lower in the rev range though.
Ahh you dont need a dyno number. You can slap around any Ls1 monaro with your setup.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 AM
944crazy
Pro

Well it's time for a long awaited update on 'phase two' of this engine build...the fun part of adding more power. To make this happen, here are the mods that I've done recently:
- VEMS pnp standalone ECU.
- Custom built turbocharger using k26/8 turbine housing, to4e centre and comp housing and new billet compressor wheel.
- Raceworks 1150cc injectors
-Bosch 044 fuel pump
-Turbosmart 45mm hyper gate wastegate
-Custom turbo intake pipe
-TTV Racing 60-2 lightweight flywheel
-KEP Stage 1 clutch pressure plate
-Sachs sport clutch disc

I first ran the VEMS with just the stock turbo and wastegate to see how it was. Overall the install and setup was quite easy. During the first drives I immediately noticed that all of the off boost driving had improved significantly. Unfortunately for me though, I was getting trigger errors and the car was misfiring above 5k rpm. Peep (the guy who makes vems for Porsches) was extremely helpful and we tried a lot of things to fix the issue, but in the end we concluded I needed a new trigger system. I considered going for a crank nose mounted trigger wheel, but finally decided on getting a new flywheel with 60-2 trigger teeth machined onto it. I was able to keep the stock sensor and sensor bracket, but it no longer reads the starter ring teeth, and instead has dedicated trigger teeth similar to what the S and S2 have from factory. Swapping out the flywheel wasn't a fun job...but I figured if I was to reach my power and torque goals I would have to upgrade the clutch anyway, so I did that too while I was in there. Anyway, with the new flywheel it revs cleanly all the way to redline, and the lighter weight makes throttle blips for rev matching a lot crisper and quicker.

Pic of the new flywheel in place, very well made piece of kit. Service from TTV was exceptional.

Getting the turbocharger made also turned into a bit of an ordeal. I bought an old vitesse stage 2 turbo out of canada which needed a rebuild. It took 3 months to get here...then I sent it to a local turbo guy to rebuild and perform some upgrades, he did an ok job, but he sent it back to me with a broken turbine blade not once, but twice...so that dragged on for months as well. Now it has a random turbine wheel in there, from a tractor of all things, which is not as good as the lighter weight vitesse massaged one that was in there to begin with...oh well.

Here are some pics of the turbo and my solution to the water inlet. I decided to delete the auxilary water pump to simplify things.

After I had finished all the mods it was finally time to get it tuned. I had fun tinkering around with vems getting the cold starts working and other small things, but I soon realised I was way out of my depth when it came to tuning. Luckily a good friend of my brother and I was willing to tune it, and boy has he done a great job. The guy has some real talent and I think without him I probably wouldn't have gotten anywhere near as good driveability and power as I do now.

And here are the dyno results: 370hp at the wheels and 500Nm of torque.

For comparison here is a 'before' dyno from when I had the stock ecu (chipped) and k26/6 turbo, running on 15psi but bleeding off to 12ish psi as the rpm goes up. On a different dyno unfortunately, but you can see how radically different the performance is now.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

nice work mate!
I'd be pretty pissed with the turbo situation.

That curve does look quite laggy, have you driven it much? How does it feel?
Old 08-06-2018, 03:00 AM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by Paulyy
nice work mate!
I'd be pretty pissed with the turbo situation.

That curve does look quite laggy, have you driven it much? How does it feel?
Yeah the whole turbo thing really pissed me off...in hindsight I should have gotten a nice hybrid from Evergreen or Tim's turbos in the US, or just gone straight to a nice gtx3071r or similar. It does look quite laggy on the dynosheet, but driving it around it feels really good. I've just been doing pulls on the highway though. I've got a track day on wednesday so that will really show how it goes with corner exits etc.
Old 08-06-2018, 03:09 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Nice to see the car running again.
Im hoping to dyno my 2.5L before october.

Whyh not go to the GTX3576 G2 ? the 30 seems a bit tight in the exhaust,
Old 08-06-2018, 03:22 AM
944crazy
Pro

Originally Posted by ealoken
Nice to see the car running again.
Im hoping to dyno my 2.5L before october.

Whyh not go to the GTX3576 G2 ? the 30 seems a bit tight in the exhaust,
I think a 35 might be too big for my purposes. I like the idea of the Garret's new G series turbos though. But for now I am extremely happy with it, top end power has exceeded all my expectations...and so as long as I can still get all the boost I need out of the slow corners at my local tracks then I'll probably just keep this turbo and improve other areas of the car. There is also some room from 15psi up where I can sharpen the boost curve as the boost control is opening the wastegate a tad early. I'm not too bothered with that at the moment though, as the slower ramp up will be a bit more gentle on the drivetrain and make it a bit more controllable.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:29 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Yeah the whole turbo thing really pissed me off...in hindsight I should have gotten a nice hybrid from Evergreen or Tim's turbos in the US, or just gone straight to a nice gtx3071r or similar. It does look quite laggy on the dynosheet, but driving it around it feels really good. I've just been doing pulls on the highway though. I've got a track day on wednesday so that will really show how it goes with corner exits etc.
The only downside you have is the KKK exhaust housing and that turbine wheel. I suppose if you're not happy with your set up, you could get the housing modified to fit a more modern turbine wheel.
Im keen to see a 3rd gear pull data log.

On track i suppose you'll need to get on the throttle much earlier into the corner to get the boost coming out.

But enjoy it! 380-400hp is so much fun!!! i never get sick of it. I'd add a boost controller that's got high and low boost settings so you dont need to drive around with it at full boost.

Quick Reply: Timm's 952 Build Thread