Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Finally got my favorite Porsche! Need advise please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 12:05 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here my turbo is being disassembled by Charlie at Evergreen turbos in Ocala Florida. He said the internals looked original, not too bad for 200k+ miles on it! Nearly no shaft play prior to the damage that caused this!

All apart and beginning to prep for the hybrid!

Still kicking myself for such an oversight!
Old 02-15-2019, 12:19 PM
finally!
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 87nine5one
All apart and beginning to prep for the hybrid!
Tell more about the hybrid, cold and hot side? Other?
I'm considering an upgrade to mine, torn between 26/8 or 27/8 or ? Sigh
Old 02-15-2019, 12:47 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by finally!
Tell more about the hybrid, cold and hot side? Other?
I'm considering an upgrade to mine, torn between 26/8 or 27/8 or ? Sigh
i would call Charlie, he will give you the best options when you explain to him what you’re looking to do with your car/motor. I wanted room to grow, this way down the road I can add bigger injectors, dual port wastegate, I have a larger inter cooler ready to be installed this weekend, etc. etc. however here are some other pics to show you how great this turbo came out and the fact that it was a near bolt on mod. If you choose just the billet wheel upgrade on both hot and cold sides he can also machine your housing to fit them if you do not a larger compressor housing making it more stealth:
Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Here are some pics of the process and work Charlie did, very pleased and glad I went with the hybrid k27/6! Well worth the effort and the cost!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:54 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

The car spools and pulls like crazy now, however I still need to tune it a bit more to get it dead on.

Heres the next part of the upgrade to be installed this weekend!

This is the stage 1.5 Speed Force Racing intercooler to replace the stock one, there are no restrictions like the stock one so this should add a nice amount of power!
Old 02-15-2019, 05:17 PM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

Going with a fiberglass nose panel to get more air into the intercooler
Old 02-16-2019, 10:26 AM
87nine5one
Rennlist Member

I forgot to post the pics of the install, I had also went to the Quest alternator after fighting with the big original Bosch one that takes up a lot of room! Not only for the benefit of always see my volt meter gauge at 14.4v but for the reduction in clutter! The weight saving was not really a concern, but is always a welcomed benefit too

It’s a tight and close fit but fits great, the only issue is the coolant line that houses the temp sensor with the banjo bolt. I had an adapter machined to push the coolant line out so that it would clear the k27 housing, that was really the only hard part of the install. The other thing to address is the k27 has a larger inlet requiring a 2.75” boot, the stock k26 is only 2”

Love this turbo, does not hurt the low end torque which I was afraid of, and I can push close to 400 hp with this turbo and supporting mods! The k27/8 will give more hp but also shift the power band up a little. I’m not racing the car so I want more street manners. Being in New York there is not much open road to open it up so I’d rather keep my low end power.

Quick Reply: Finally got my favorite Porsche! Need advise please!