Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What do you guys think? Long

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 05:08 PM
3 Turbos

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you guys think? Long

I've sent these questions via email to the people listed, but there might be something, you guys know that might help also.

FYI, both Tim at SFR and Danno at Guru have always answered my emails within a day or so and my product has been delivered to me in a timely fashion. I also was not in a hurry to get their products the next day, so maybe with that thought in mind one to two weeks was ok with me.

So here goes my blurb;

What do you think? (long, but please read all)

All the modifications where done approximately 1 year ago in 2002, although, I have had the Autothority Chips in my car for at least 15 years.

Motor was freshened with rings, bearings, head gasket, "O-ringed", and most if not all vacuum hose's replaced. I've tightened all the vacuum lines on top of the engine including the 2 big hose's for the boost controller, intercooler hose's, etc. My fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum disconnected 43.5lbs.

Info on my 1987 951, hope this will help;

** Freshened motor with rings, bearings etc. at 73K now 75K
** SRF MAF Level 1 (with K&N cone filter)
** SRF Garret Turbo Level 1 (water/oil cooled)
(T04B w/#8 46mm compressor stage 3 turbine wheel)
** SRF Stainless steel braided fuel lines
** SRF 2.25" Intercooler Pipes
** Stock exhaust with no cat
** Profec B adjustable boost controller
** VDO Mechanical Boost gauge
** ARM1 Split Second air/fuel indicator

** ARC2 - piggy back computer
My ARC2 settings are;
Low = 10:30
Mid = 12:00
High = 11:30
Accel = 2:00

** Autothority version 2.5 Chip (and Guru Version 8 Chip)
** Tial 46mm Wastegate (spring used is 8.5lb?)
** Billet adjustable fuel pressure regulator set to 43.5lbs
at idle with vacuum line disconnected

With the above setup using Autothority Chips, my Profec B boost is adjusted in the following way;

1) "low boost ****" which is maxed, see's about "14.7lbs" boost
2) "high boost ****" which is set at "midway", see's about 17lbs boost
3) Balance is set to "full sharp". It doesn’t seem to make any difference where I set it
4) Dip switch on Profec B was set to "external" and now is set to "external with boost control". It doesn't seem to make a difference
5) Wastegate is setup in a "dual port mode"

FYI, no matter where I turn the **** for high boost on my Profec B, it will not go beyond 17lbs, although I understand my turbo should be able to hit 30lbs, and my wastegate should hold 36lbs. When my new Tial wastegate was installed, I was able to adjust boost up as high as 19lbs until head gasket was blew on the dyno.

So either my wastegate is failing, I have leaks somewhere, or the "doublewalled" pipe could be the cause, I don't know.

When my Profec B is in its low boost setting, it can hold 14.7lbs in "all gears" all the way to redline with Autothority or Guru Chips.

When my Profec B is in its high boost setting, it can hold 17lbs all the way to redline in 1st and 2nd gear only with Autothority Chips. Guru Chips can only hold 15lbs, unless I have a weakening wastegate or some other problem.

I have not reinstalled the Autothority Chips back in my car to see if it is the Guru Chips that can't hold boost to 17lbs or it is something else.

3rd gear see's 17lbs until 4800rpm, then it drops off to 15lbs I was able to hold 17lbs to redline before I think. This by the way is on 100 octane fuel and with Autothority Chips.

Somehow my car is slowly losing the ability to hold higher boost.

I have not been able to hold 17lbs with the Guru Chips. But to be fair, I have not put back in the with Autothority Chips back into my car to see if I have the same problem or maybe I might have a huge leak somewhere or a failing wastegate.

Bottom line: If this is normal, what can I do to get it to maintain 17lbs to 18lbs to redline in all gears when in the high boost setting preferably on 92 octane?

Summary;

The above is when I had the Autothority Stage 2 Chips ver 2.5

I just bought and installed Guru ver 8 Chips. And it reacts the the same way with these exceptions below. In other words, with the GURU Chips, I have absolutely no running problems that I had with the Autothority Chips

My Autothority Chips had this problem, but not with the GURU Chips;
>>It runs good under any throttle position up to 4000rpm and past
>>that "unless I use very light throttle", then it has this 4000-4500rpm
>>stumble it also idles fine with no stumble off idle.

My Autothority Chips had this problem, but not with the GURU Chips;
>>It is a bit jerky if I'm at 6000-6500rpm and try to ease up on the
>>throttle.

Bottom Line:

I still cannot get the boost that I want, and I believe the ability to hold higher boost is deteriorating. I'm thinking it could possibly be a bad wastegate, or a collapsing pipe in the "double wall" section right before the "cat". As I do not think I have a vacuum leak. But you never know, as there are probably many different areas that could have a vacuum leak or some type of pressure leak.

Thanks!

Steve
Old 10-08-2003, 06:16 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

have you tested your bypass valve? if you haven't replaced that you may need to. and exactly how much boost are you shooting for?
Old 10-08-2003, 08:15 PM
3 Turbos

Diverter Valve is ok.

I'm hoping for 17-18lbs up to redline in all gears with the possible 19-20lbs everyonce in a while

Steve

Quick Reply: What do you guys think? Long