Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fuel into oil on stock chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 04:09 PM
SebastianManea
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Fuel into oil on stock chip

Hi all, I've been trying to install my DME and KLR original chips back, on my 89' 944 Turbo because of the excessive vibration and low acceleration below 2000 rpm. I've got the car with the Transaxle.net chips inside, but i've tried to to find out if i had better performance on low revs.
After reinstalling the stock chips and i've found the oil level was increasing and smelling like gasoline. I've reinstalled the Transaxle chips back and i don't have the oil issue anymore.
There's one thing that i haven't checked, if the previous owner messed with the fuel switch, could that be the cause of the excessive unburned fuel that ends up in the oil?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:24 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Running pig rich, it's getting past the rings. How do your spark plugs look?
Old 03-07-2016, 04:35 PM
SebastianManea
5th Gear

Thanks for the idea, I've changed them one year ago, but i will also take a look at them. I've got the Bosch wr7dc if i remember correctly. Should i try any other model? It's been cold out here and i've only managed to start working on the car 2 days ago. Right now i'm also trying to repair a wiper relay with blown capacitors
Old 03-07-2016, 05:09 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I know if you install the dme chip backwards it opens the injectors full tilt flooding the engine with fuel. If your going back to stock chips you might have a larger fuel pressure regulator adding extra fuel as well
Old 03-07-2016, 06:07 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

My comment about the plugs isn't really about their actual operation, it's just that looking at them can give you an indication of the fuel trim. If it's too rich, they'll look sooty and blackened. The fuel switch is worth investigating. Do you have stock injectors? and as mahoney said, stock FPR? A lot of chips require those to be changed to allow higher flow.
Old 03-08-2016, 08:53 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The FQS should be set to zero with all the standard hardware.
Can't remember if those chips need a 3Bar FPR, but check what yours is.
Old 03-08-2016, 04:46 PM
SebastianManea
5th Gear

@Mahoney I've checked the installation key for the eproms and i also drove the car for a while with stock chips, after that. If you install it backwards you switch the Vcc with ground on the eprom, as far i know and it won't work at all.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM
SebastianManea
5th Gear

@odonnell and Thom - I understand what you are saying about the plugs, i'll check them as soon as possible. I tried to look at the FPR but, the part number is facing down, towards the engine and i couldn't read it, all i could tell is that the manufacturer is Bosch. I can't find any data about the transaxle.net chip, all i was told that it supposed to give a 290+HP. I will have to take the rail apart and check the part number of the FPR. I will also try to find out the position of the FQS and turn it to zero.
Can you please suggest any spark plugs that i should use for this car, for a day by day use?
Old 03-08-2016, 11:49 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SebastianManea
@odonnell and Thom - I understand what you are saying about the plugs, i'll check them as soon as possible. I tried to look at the FPR but, the part number is facing down, towards the engine and i couldn't read it, all i could tell is that the manufacturer is Bosch. I can't find any data about the transaxle.net chip, all i was told that it supposed to give a 290+HP. I will have to take the rail apart and check the part number of the FPR. I will also try to find out the position of the FQS and turn it to zero.
Can you please suggest any spark plugs that i should use for this car, for a day by day use?
Yeah Bosch 3 bar regulator is pretty standard to upgrade to with after market chips, you could check the rails fuel pressure with a gauge to see if it's 2.5 bar or 3 bar
Old 03-13-2016, 12:50 PM
SebastianManea
5th Gear

I've managed to read the part number on the FPR with an inspection mirror, which is Bosch 0280 160 287 and the injectors' PN is Bosch 0280 150 803. It looks like the injectors are stock, but the FPR looks like it is for the 944S2(3.8 bar). That's probably the issue.

Quick Reply: Fuel into oil on stock chip