Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does anyone know (or is willing to measure) the volume of factory oil cooler lines?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:31 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does anyone know (or is willing to measure) the volume of factory oil cooler lines?

I'm installing a 111 cubic inch, 19 row oil cooler and -10AN SS lines in place of the factory cooler. This represents an additional 44 cubic inches of oil volume in the cooling element, but I can't calculate the difference in volume in the lines without knowing the volume of the stock lines. I'm trying to calculate the difference in oil capacity so I know how much oil to add when I start my engine up for the first time. I'm estimating my lines will contain an additional ~30 cubic inches. I'm guessing the factory lines are around half this value. This means roughly an additional ~59 cubic inches, or ~1 quart (1 quart = 57.75 cubic inches). So I'm estimating around 8 quarts total with filter.

Sound about right?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:26 AM
944crazy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I installed my big rx-7 oil cooler I pre filled it with oil before connecting the last line to the console. There was enough oil in the cooler that the oil level didn't drop below the low mark after it warmed up and filled the rest of the cooler and lines.

I'm not sure it's a good idea to over fill the car and wait for it to warm up and fill the oil cooler with oil. I'd err on the side of caution and if you can, just use a hand pump to pump oil into the cooler through one of the disconnected lines.

That was my thinking anyway. If you find that it is safe to overfill, then you could just fill the car to around the half way level between low and high on the dipstick, and then add the volume that would be required to fill your new cooler and lines, and filter? Then, after the car has warmed up and the thermostat has opened, the oil level should be back down to half way and then you can top up the rest.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:31 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

what is the diameter of the lines and the overall length?

random guess, but if they are 3/4" diameter and 4 ft total line length...think of the lines as a simple cylinder.

V = pi*r^2*h....(0.75*0.75*pi)/4*48 = 21 cubic inches or about 1/3 liter.

honestly i'd just fill it like any normal oil change, drive around long enough to get the car warm enough to circulate the oil to the cooler etc...then top off as necessary.

as long as you aren't going very hard, the 944 engine is tolerant of being 1 or even 2 quarts low on oil. obviously not recommended, but doable.

FWIW the day i made the highest rwhp dyno runs with my 944, when i got home from the dyno i checked the oil and it was 2 qts low....lol

Quick Reply: Does anyone know (or is willing to measure) the volume of factory oil cooler lines?