Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Crank and balance shaft seal job, need a little help

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:48 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank and balance shaft seal job, need a little help

Edit: I'm almost done with this, I only have one question it's at the end of the thread, thank you

Hi, I'm in the middle of doing crankshaft, balance shafts seals, waterpump and timing belt replacement. So far I've removed every sprockets and rollers, now I'm stuck with the balance shafts woodruff keys. I doubt it as been removed in the past it looks like it's snug in there pretty good. I had success with a pair of vice grip on the crankshaft key but the balance shaft keys doesnt stick far enough from the shaft to get a good hold. Is there a good way to remove them without destroying everything.

Secondly, reading the Arnnworx write up I tought I wouldnt have to replace the camshaft seal and didnt order new ones but it looks like there's a leak in that area. How hard is it to remove the camshaft gear and replace those seals ?

Under the camshaft gear

Behind the camshaft gear housing

Oil mess crankshaft seal

Thank you !

Last edited by philip77o; 03-21-2016 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:08 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not difficult. Just read Clarks Garage and pay attention as everything comes apart. As for the woodruff keys, try using a pair of dikes (wire cutters) to grab hold of them. Small picks may help as well.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

a little screwdriver and hammer works for me. a few light taps pushes them out.
the balance shaft keys are round at the bottom so if tap the corner of it with a small hammer, it should rock like a boat.
Old 01-26-2016, 06:39 PM
philip77o
Instructor

alright I'll give it a try, thank you !
Old 01-26-2016, 07:37 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had success using the pair of dikes method - grabbing the key with the dikes then 'prying' while holding on to it.

Camshaft seal isn't any harder than the rest of them. I'd definitely do it while you're in there doing the rest of it...
Old 01-26-2016, 07:55 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Here's a bit of advice what i learnt talking a leak at the front of the engine.

if you do it all and there's a leak somewhere. you're going to be pissed. but stay calm. take everything off thats needed to remove the belt covers (the back one)
Put everything on the engine that's needed to run.
Dizzy
cam belt
alternator belt
Make sure the crank bolt is tight.

Leave the balance shaft belts off. even leave the pulleys off. leave the PS pump off.

This way the car can run, and there's less in the way to pin point a leak. this is what i did for the oil galley plug.

good luck.
Old 01-27-2016, 10:33 AM
philip77o
Instructor

Thank you for the advice.

I have the impression that it might leak somewhere else than the front seals aswell. The crossmember as oil dripping of it.
Old 01-27-2016, 11:27 AM
philip77o
Instructor

Hi, I have questions regarding re-installation;

Can I put engine oil on the o-ring or I should stick with bearing grease and do I need to install the orange seals dry or I can put a little oil one them ?
Also can you install the seal on the mount before putting it back on the block ?

Last edited by philip77o; 01-28-2016 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Engine oil on the translucent deal between the ballance shaft/cam and front cover little oil on inside of front seals. Make sure the ballance shaft seals are matched to the proper cover. The seal has an arrow to show the rotation the shaft needs to spin. No oil on the orange seal at the rear of the ballance shaft cover and locktite 574/572? sealant to seal the ballance cover to the engine. Also as Paulyy just went they some fun times we learned that it's a good time to replace any "freeze" plugs that are on the engine, his was an oil galley plug but it's the same design. And get new sleeves for the ballance/cam and crank shaft. Your oil pan gasket is probably leaking. When you get to it I recommend replacing the rod bearings and pick up tube seals.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:51 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

With the oil galley plug, nearly impossible to tell if it leaks.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:40 AM
philip77o
Instructor

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
No oil on the orange seal at the rear of the ballance shaft cover and locktite 574/572? sealant to seal the ballance cover to the engine.
I already re-install the upper balance shaft seals, I did put a very small coat of engine oil on the orange seal before pressing it into place. Can it make the seal rotate inside the mount while the engine runnning ?

While I was doing the crank seal, I installed the orange seal, and when I inserted the oil pump sleeve I forgot it had to get inline with the gear inside the block and forced it a little with a spacer and the crank gear bolt, I didnt insist to much then I tried tapping gently with a small hammer after a 30 seconds I realised my mistake and turned the sleeve a couple of degrees then it slide back in place. May I have damaged something ? Again I didnt insist too much but we never know...

Last edited by philip77o; 01-29-2016 at 10:49 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:58 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Update

I'm almost finish with this, I have one question, when I diassemble everything at the begining I didnt mark the direction of the power steering crank pulley, it has a couple of weights on it, should they be aligned with the weights on the alternator crank pulley ?

Thank you
Old 03-21-2016, 11:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

PS pump position doesn't matter.
The "weights" are just so the pulley balances itself.

To answer earlier question, oiling o-rings and seals is a good idea.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:47 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Great, thanks !

As for the seals, if I remember right I lightly oiled orings and only oiled the inside of the orange seals. Installation went well.

Quick Reply: Crank and balance shaft seal job, need a little help