Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New 951 Guy

Old 01-17-2016, 11:06 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New 951 Guy

Hi Guys, new to 944s, I just purchased the '89 952 below, it had been sitting for 5 years and basically needs everything, belts, water pump, mounts, wheel bearings, CVs, vac and fuel hoses etc etc... Plan is to just get it to factory working order then think of mods. I'm tempted to keep this one stock but I've never been able to that so we'll see... have a spare GT30 floating around, hmmm... I'm used to working on 911s which are so easy in comparison, I'm sure it'll all be worth it! Anyway just saying hi, I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions!
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2016, 11:18 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Spence, I'm from melbourne too!

She looks nice, I'd leave it near stock.. maybe do the exhaust and put a M-Tune MAF on it. upgrade the wastegate to a TiAL (needs adaptors, can find here on forum) or a turbosmart one (that'll need some welding new flanges) and change the BPV to an aluminium one. And she'd be quite a weapon.

Doing a GT/X install is quite a process. Custom everything basically.

Be sure to join the PFA if you haven't already and join us on some drives
Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

She's a beauty! Leave the girl stock.

Get all her bits replaced and be content.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:31 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Hey Paully, thanks for the message!

Your mod suggestions sounds sensible, I know I have to get rid of the wastegate asap and I've been trying to decide on an exhaust, the Lindsay 3 inch looks pretty good. Hope to see yours sometime, must be mental! Do you know if anyone takes their cars to Peter Fitzgerald racing here? He was super successful racing them back in the day but I don't see anyone posting about him, Adrian from Hartech is doing my belts etc. Thanks again mate!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:34 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ibkevin
She's a beauty! Leave the girl stock.

Get all her bits replaced and be content.
Thanks mate, I've started with a new dash and glovebox I managed to get from Porsche, not really looking forward to doing it though!
Old 01-17-2016, 11:44 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Skip the vanity stuff -- go mechanical and fluids. Front reseal job is an azz kicker; water pump, belts, pulleys, etc. I pulled the pan and did main crank bearings when I bought mine, along with a valve job. A long list of work done.

Swap a turbo three times and see what you think... goop is piled in there much like an aircraft engine.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:57 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spence88mph
Hey Paully, thanks for the message!

Your mod suggestions sounds sensible, I know I have to get rid of the wastegate asap and I've been trying to decide on an exhaust, the Lindsay 3 inch looks pretty good. Hope to see yours sometime, must be mental! Do you know if anyone takes their cars to Peter Fitzgerald racing here? He was super successful racing them back in the day but I don't see anyone posting about him, Adrian from Hartech is doing my belts etc. Thanks again mate!
Fabspeed is great also for an exhaust. I think theirs would be a better fit and direct replacement for a street one.

I am not to sure to be honest about Fitzgerald, Worth the call though. I know he did the 968 turbo s/rs cars ect but dont know if he still plays with others ones.

I would just get Adrian to do it, (i dont know him but i know he has a 944t ect) Im sure he has the experience on doing mods unless he doesn't want to. They're all bolt on anyway so there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm sure you'll see it It's not exactly 'mental' sounds it though - haha. unless i'm use to how she drives. I've just spent 3-4 weeks looking for an oil leak. also have changed the turbo housing from a .82 to a .63 but haven't had the change to see how it goes with new fuel.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:20 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Cool I'll check out the fabspeed system. I'm getting Adrian to do all the belts, pump, seals, hoses etc, want to do the other things myself, really want to just drop the engine and give it's good clean and detail since there's so much to be done anyway. Fitzgerald had the only 944 Turbo Cup car in Australia and won Targa with it, it looks pretty crazy, check out the wing!
Attached Images  
Old 01-18-2016, 01:34 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Ohh i didn't know that! That's a huge wing. A friend of mine has one of their RS spoilers on his 968. I want it so badly.

As long as you have a shop, a garage ect with a hoist (preferably) and an engine stand + crane. It's no problem.

Need to drop these engines from the bottom (like the 911) but it's not as easy as you need to remove a bunch of stuff. I.e radiator, fans, half of the suspension stuff on the crossmember. steering rack and more.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:58 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

That rhd turbo cup is still in Melbourne. Think it was originally owned by the guy that also had the only rhd 924 carrera gts.
Old 01-18-2016, 10:37 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice
Old 01-23-2016, 04:04 AM
hally
Rennlist Member

Nice, another Melbourne turbo here, will keep an eye out for u on the road!
Old 01-23-2016, 04:48 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hally
Nice, another Melbourne turbo here, will keep an eye out for u on the road!
I still have not seen you on the road!! PM sent to both of you. hopefully you see it asap.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:37 AM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Hey Spence - welcome to 952 World! Is that a Qld car? Looks like a Qld plate with current letter series - unless Vic is into the "V" series...

Cheers
Rob
Old 01-25-2016, 09:16 AM
OzJustin
Instructor

Welcome Spence. Care to share some background on the car? Not many 89+ Turbos floating around Oz from what I've seen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 951 Guy