Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replacing and sealing oil galley plug?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 07:19 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Replacing and sealing oil galley plug?

So i think the long tunnel of oil leaks has finally shed some light.

I have all the covers off. and bar minimals for the engine to run (timing belt and alternator belt)

I let it idle for a few mins then i looked at the plug. i see oil. Bingo. i wipe it. dribbles down.

Lucky i have a spare water pump gasket. Now just need to do it.

My dad will most likely turn up a new plug from what ever he has in the shop. I gather you're not really suppose to put any "sealant" on them?

Thanks for everyones help and recommendations on catching this leak.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:59 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
So i think the long tunnel of oil leaks has finally shed some light.

I have all the covers off. and bar minimals for the engine to run (timing belt and alternator belt)

I let it idle for a few mins then i looked at the plug. i see oil. Bingo. i wipe it. dribbles down.

Lucky i have a spare water pump gasket. Now just need to do it.

My dad will most likely turn up a new plug from what ever he has in the shop. I gather you're not really suppose to put any "sealant" on them?

Thanks for everyones help and recommendations on catching this leak.
Strange....never seen one of those leak...., I do however remove them when I disassemble an engine.

I have a dozen of them on hand if you want to put the original back in and are having trouble finding one...?

You can over drive these in so I always make a depth measurement of the factory install, clean the bore and use "Sleeve Retaining" Loctite.

Then I take a small semi sharp chisel and stake the aluminum face of the block about every 60 degrees where the stake marks overlap the inside diameter of the bore.

Holler if you need one,

T
Old 01-14-2016, 10:40 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Pauly I have a lot of experience with leeks from the plug. My machinist threaded my block and put in a large an plug. It leaked like a sive.

To get to the front oil plug I had to remove the oil plan and pump. Big pita. After 4 tries of different types of sealent I finally used loctite hysol on the outside. It held.

You might give it a try as you don't have to pull the oil pump
Old 01-16-2016, 09:57 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've seen people thread and tap these. but yes it requires removal of a lot of things!

After a long talk with my dad on how we go about this. He machined up a plug. with an o-ring grove. also put loctite 574 on it. The plug fits in the hole very "neat" we bashed it in. and so far it hasn't leaked.

The locitie will be doing it's job.
The o-ring will be doing it's job
and the metal to metal contact will be doing it's job.

Quick Reply: Replacing and sealing oil galley plug?