Electronic Boost Controllers - Plex Pro

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2016, 02:16 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Boost Controllers - Plex Pro

Hi folks,

I'm running a Profec B - old school with *****, but works well.

Currently adding meth injection using Snow Performances new setup. Snow's software is being integrated into the Electromotive. We'd like to have the EGT readings incorporated into the EMS, and can do this with the EMS/Electromotive newest software updates.

Thought it was time to update the boost control and found this: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/p...ontroller.html

The Plex Pro is worlds beyond the capability of my ten? year old Profec B. The Plex can replace many of my Autometer gauges, and will provide EGT sensor safeguards using meth.

Question:

Any of you using the Plex Pro? Comments - I'm posting this on the 911 turbo list, as this unit is also designed to be a plug and play unit using the factory 911 turbo's EMS.

Thanks,

G
Old 01-09-2016, 02:22 PM
George D
Drifting

Correct Link: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/p...ontroller.html

Originally Posted by George D
Hi folks,

I'm running a Profec B - old school with *****, but works well.

Currently adding meth injection using Snow Performances new setup. Snow's software is being integrated into the Electromotive. We'd like to have the EGT readings incorporated into the EMS, and can do this with the EMS/Electromotive newest software updates.

Thought it was time to update the boost control and found this: http://www.amsperformance.com/cart/p...ontroller.html

The Plex Pro is worlds beyond the capability of my ten? year old Profec B. The Plex can replace many of my Autometer gauges, and will provide EGT sensor safeguards using meth.

Question:

Any of you using the Plex Pro? Comments - I'm posting this on the 911 turbo list, as this unit is also designed to be a plug and play unit using the factory 911 turbo's EMS.

Thanks,

G
Old 01-09-2016, 03:26 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

No experience, but looks cool. Keep us posted!
Old 01-09-2016, 04:51 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey George,

The unit looks quite interesting.

I'll throw an option to the table for you.
- eBoost2, I absolutely love the unit. Packed with many features. I have mine now in my glove box, and connecting it to a window switch i have just bought and placing it in the centre console to control boost by +2 increments.
- PLX DM-100 (+modules) I have ordered a few modules (water temp, oil temp and boost/vac) and plan to hook them up to 1 gauge thats going on my 968 cubby.
I plan to add more (AFR, intake temp and possibly etg and fluid pressure (water and oil) as the pressure modules allow 2 inputs.

Probably more expensive route, but logging is capable with PLX and they also have a 5v output if you want to log with 3rd party equipment which is what i'm doing as the PLX doesn't log rpm.

I plan to have it set up, not the coming week, but the week after. (just waiting on delivery)
Old 01-09-2016, 08:22 PM
George D
Drifting

Pauly,

This is exactly what I was upgrading with, till I saw the PLEX...but close to $1,000 seems overpriced, unless I'm missing something, hence the post.

How's summer over there? Snowing in the mountains here in the Western US!!

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Hey George,

The unit looks quite interesting.

I'll throw an option to the table for you.
- eBoost2, I absolutely love the unit. Packed with many features. I have mine now in my glove box, and connecting it to a window switch i have just bought and placing it in the centre console to control boost by +2 increments.
- PLX DM-100 (+modules) I have ordered a few modules (water temp, oil temp and boost/vac) and plan to hook them up to 1 gauge thats going on my 968 cubby.
I plan to add more (AFR, intake temp and possibly etg and fluid pressure (water and oil) as the pressure modules allow 2 inputs.

Probably more expensive route, but logging is capable with PLX and they also have a 5v output if you want to log with 3rd party equipment which is what i'm doing as the PLX doesn't log rpm.

I plan to have it set up, not the coming week, but the week after. (just waiting on delivery)
Old 01-09-2016, 09:32 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Summer is great here! about 30°c today. Heading up to the mountains this Sunday for a dirve, but i don't think we'll see any snow!!

Unit looks good, has good features. I just don't like that you'll need to place it somewhere and it'll look out of place.
Old 01-09-2016, 10:01 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Can't you just control boost via the Electromotive ECU George?
Old 01-09-2016, 10:15 PM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Can't you just control boost via the Electromotive ECU George?
Sure. Could install a three way toggle or rotary dial. Can be set to spring, 15psi, 18psi, 23psi, etc. What the Electromotive won't do is mandate that the WG stays closed until target boost - if the WG wants to open earlier than target, it will like stock. This doesn't change max hp/tq - but does help with spool up. We've seen around 500rpm sooner max boost using Turbosmart older units in my Evo and other cars. They claim up to 1000rpm, but that's highly unlikely - wish it was true...

G
Old 01-10-2016, 06:23 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Right. I would have thought it could control boost by rpm, Tps, gear based and other methods?
Old 01-10-2016, 05:59 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Right. I would have thought it could control boost by rpm, Tps, gear based and other methods?
I think there's a XY table for boost control where you add in your cycle values.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 PM
George D
Drifting

Yes. Issue, for me, is this is primarily a street car. I don't necessarily want the WG to only partially open until target boost is reached. Example - partial throttle - passing without WOT, etc. On a track car - irrelevant, as you're usually WOT or braking usually around 4k and above. The car is smooth when allowing partial WG opening at partial throttle, ability to adjust duty cycle, etc. It's easier to have boost spikes, etc. when you're not WOT without the ability to have WG control prior to boost target.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:33 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George D
Yes. Issue, for me, is this is primarily a street car. I don't necessarily want the WG to only partially open until target boost is reached. Example - partial throttle - passing without WOT, etc. On a track car - irrelevant, as you're usually WOT or braking usually around 4k and above. The car is smooth when allowing partial WG opening at partial throttle, ability to adjust duty cycle, etc. It's easier to have boost spikes, etc. when you're not WOT without the ability to have WG control prior to boost target.
TPS based boost control is the way to go - no boost spikes at "points" below WOT.
Duty cycle of WG solenoid is dependant on TPS position, so want 50% of boost target, then set TPS position (50%) to reflect this. 90 -100% TPS signal would allow full boost target.
Not sure about your software capability, but it should be possible to manage your meth injection with boost control quite easily through your standalone system.
Old 01-10-2016, 06:57 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Agreed Vic. George, speak to the person who does your ECU tuning. I'm sure you can do all of this via the Electromotive system AND have a good result ie smooth transition between on / off boost.
Old 01-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

IMO The only time i believe TPS based boost control is viable for street is when you're probably over 4k rpm on partial throttle and still getting near or full boost.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
IMO The only time i believe TPS based boost control is viable for street is when you're probably over 4k rpm on partial throttle and still getting near or full boost.
If you have ever had the chance to drive a 400+ whp 951 with TPS based boost versus what you are suggesting, you would be AMAZED at the increase in drive-ability that is available.

If some are a fan of the "on / off" power delivery that comes with prioritizing hitting the boost target as fast as possible (ie - hitting full boost target at 50% throttle input) then disregard the benefit of TPS based boost.

The beauty of TPS boost control is that it transforms the power delivery to mimic what you would get from an N/A engine. This makes the car very predictable and manageable.

Quick Reply: Electronic Boost Controllers - Plex Pro