Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dash recover before and after pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 12:58 AM
jeffro951
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dash recover before and after pics

I recovered my dash today with faux suede take a look. I still need to trim out the defrost holes and rebuild the clock but I pretty happy with the outcome so far.

The car is for sale, see my ad here: https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-8v-turbo.html
Attached Images       
Old 01-04-2016, 08:07 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Very cool. You removed it to do that right?
Old 01-04-2016, 01:10 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

Dash stayed in the car, I removed the steering wheel and the lower trim pieces and the gauge bezel. I covered over the passenger airbag.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:47 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffro951
Dash stayed in the car, I removed the steering wheel and the lower trim pieces and the gauge bezel. I covered over the passenger airbag.
If you want to fix that, its actually really easy to pull the air bag, then you can trim it out and maintain the proper functionality of the airbag cover. The airbag cover hinges up when it pops, keep that in mind if its still active.
Old 01-08-2016, 01:23 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

I think the airbag is a PIA to remove and if I did I would not put it back in. It is my opinion if the airbag is deployed it will blow the material away and function as normal. the material around the aribag cover could also be easily trimmed around the cover which was my intention but after covering over it I like the way it looks.
Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just recovered my dash too so i do realize the work involved. If you trim the material closer to the airbag you'll have enough to get it cemented down around the edges of the airbag door opening. The airbag itself is easy to cover with a small piece of material so even if trimming ruins whats on it, its considerably easier than redoing the rest of the dash.

If you choose not to do so, please deactivate the airbag system. It may blow through it but it will screw up the timing of the system, if that door opens slower than designed it will shred the bag on the way out, or worse propel the door at a passenger. If you've ever had the bag out its pretty easy to pop the door loose from the little clips that hold it closed, a covering like that will not let go nearly as easily/quickly, which can easily turn the cover into a projectile. A few minutes watching people pop airbags on youtube can give you a good idea of the amount of power in that bag.
Old 01-08-2016, 07:31 PM
jeffro951
Instructor

That's a good Idea I will probably do that when I get some more time to work on the car. It will definitely ensure the airbag deploys as it was designed.

Quick Reply: Dash recover before and after pics