Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

FREE - Digital Camera

Old 09-30-2003, 12:26 AM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREE - Digital Camera

OK, here's the deal...

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away (or at least 3,000 miles from me) a generous guy offered me a FREE digital camera as I did not have one. He told me that he was willing to give me the camera for free as the guy he got it from gave it to him for free with the understanding that when he was done with it, or got a new camera, that he would pass it along to someone else at no charge. The camera was given to me with the same set of conditions - As a result, I am upholding my end of the deal and will now offer it to someone providing they too agree to pass it along to someone for free when they get a new camera or have little or no use for it.

For the curious minds, the train of ownership has been as follows:

The camera was originally owned by long time Rennlister Tony Garcia who gave the camera to Tim Richards for free with the understanding that he pass it along to someone else when he was done with it, he then passed it along to me with the same set of conditions. Well, I finally got a new Mini DV video camera that doubles as a digital still camera. Now I must pass the torch along to someone else to carry the burden.

The camera is an Olympus D200 - It takes/stores up to 20 HQ pictures at a mear 640 X 480 PPI, or 80 low resolution 320 X 240 pictures. The camera has a built in flash and a LCD panel on the rear. The camera uses 4 AA batteries and goes through them quite quickly (I have found the Duracell ULTRA batteries to work the best and last the longest) - Pictures are transfered via serial cable to your PC. The software is still available from Olympus for downloading and viewing the pictures.

You get the camera, serial cable, and a few batteries.

So, who gets it? Well, good question - How about we do this...

Any of these questions come to mind?

I already have a digital camera, but what could I do with this one?
Who do I know that could use a digital camera?
How much is the camera worth?

If any of those thoughts popped into your head, then please don't bother contacting me about this camera. I want this camera to go to someone that "needs" one, and will use it for his/her own use (not give it away to a family member)

If you really "need" a camera and will make a commitment to pass it along for free when you are done with it, then please feel free to contact me directly and we will go from there.

Old 09-30-2003, 12:56 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh me
Old 09-30-2003, 01:37 AM
bloodraven
Race Car

I desperatly need a camera...i would love to buy one...but my money is going to my car and bills. I am into amatuer photography...and am trying to start up my own car e-zine.....or maybe one about pets...not sure...but also to take pics of the family the I am seeing here in a few weeks...either which...
Old 09-30-2003, 01:46 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or him
Old 09-30-2003, 02:15 AM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not me as I already gots one
Old 09-30-2003, 03:39 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HEY... DAMMIT.... That's my old camera! Wow has that thing put on a lot of miles!

It's a good camera too. I really liked it. I ended up replacing it with a Sony DSC-700 (which is too much for me really).

It should go to a good home, but I think we should have some sort of contest :-) hehehehe
Old 09-30-2003, 08:38 AM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

My daughter (17) really needs one for her youth group.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:15 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 204 Likes on 132 Posts

Very nice of you guys... Isn't Rennlist awesome??
Old 09-30-2003, 11:44 AM
W88951
Burning Brakes

I think that Johne really needs it most. Heck, now he has to draw a picture of his car on a chalkboard, illuminate it with florescent light and then somehow coerce it into his computer. Give it to him so he can take a good picture of his car.

Really, this is a great thing you guys started and it is impressive to see you follow through with it.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:40 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta love Rennlist.
Old 09-30-2003, 07:16 PM
glen2002
Racer

Nice gesture by both Tony and Scott
Old 09-30-2003, 07:24 PM
AlexE
Pro

Very nice indeed.......

Since Tony started it all how about a little Tony trivia???? Someone must have some great stories about Tony..... Guess the correct shoe size?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a poetry contest! The winner gets the camera.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:51 PM
Under Pressure Performance
Instructor

A few posts above, there was mention of this being a nice gesture by Tony and Scott, but quite frankly, the idea started with Tony, which passed it along to Tim Richards, which passed it along to me, which I will now pass along to someone else.

So far I have received a LOT of interest in this camera - Most inquiries have been via private messages and direct email. That said, the task of passing the camera along is becoming quite difficult indeed.

Several folks have expressed that it would be nice if they could have it, but have encouraged me to give it to someone else if I feel another needs it more, others have literally begged for it.

While I have read some compelling stories as to why one person should get it versus another, I will stress that I want the camera to go to someone that "needs" it and will "use" it.

What does that mean? Well, I do not want the camera to go to someone and it sits on a shelf most of its life, and I do not want the camera to go to someone that intends to take it "just because" it is free.

While I have had all sorts of ideas regarding how I would decide who should get it, I must admit, I am having a tough time figuring out where it should go. Perhaps there should be some sort of criteria? Rennlist member? Actively contributes to the list? Who knows?

How about we set a cutoff date for those interested, then compile a list of candidates and use a poll type format to vote who should get it? - Any other ideas? Feel free to add your input.

My personal thanks goes to Tim Richards for passing it along to me, and an extended "thank you" to Tony Garcia for starting the camera initiative in the first place - Both of these guys have demonstrated selfless acts and my hat goes off to them.

Who's next?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scott, and all others concerned...

I'll throw my .02 cents in.

I'd make it a requirement that the user that ends up with the camera, use it to build a personal 944 turbo web site!

That way we all get some more benefit from the camera, and... we know that the camera has in fact been used for taking pictures of Porsches, and Porsche parts, etc....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: FREE - Digital Camera