Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Camshaft - I know what I "should" do but...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 07:35 AM
Pitt944T
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft - I know what I "should" do but...

In an attempt to change my cam tower gasket I somehow stripped one of the bolt cover plug thingies (not the bolt head itself but the aluminum cover). I managed eventually to get it out and the cam tower off but in the process dumped aluminum threads and shavings in the cam tower. In an ideal world of course I would re build it all with refurbished followers and a re profiled cam, but back in the real world with winter fast approaching and my car in pieces I am exploring different options including.

-Replace with used NA cam tower assembly (available locally)
-Replace with used 951 cam tower assembly (if I can find one)
-Put my cam and followers into a used tower
-Stick with my cam tower but Somehow try to tap or helicoil the plug thread (I have not found suitable parts or tools to do this and already have shavings in the tower)
-RTV the plug back in and hope It holds. (Least favorite and again I have aluminum in the tower still)

Thoughts on these or alternatives?

Thanks guys
Old 10-25-2015, 09:19 AM
CyCloNe!
Race Car

Received 121 Likes on 103 Posts

I would just get a used assembly... From my understanding the later Na cams will give a very minor bump up in performance not really noticeable. I would get either a used turbo or late na assembly and just roll with it.
Old 10-25-2015, 01:26 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

If you're really in a bind for time...
Early 928s just had rubber plugs in those holes, not threaded inserts.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:15 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Cam towers are a dime a dozen -- probably cheaper than a helicoil kit of that size. Whatever you do, don't run the motor with the metal shavings in the tower. The cam tower oil drains to the crank case, so you put the whole motor at risk running it as is. And there's no way to clean it properly on the motor, so the tower has to come off anyway...
Old 10-25-2015, 08:44 PM
Pitt944T
Intermediate

Thanks ALL, great tips and advice. I will probably just try to get a cam tower assembly locally and install as is unless it looks worn. Good to know that either an NA or turbo will work so no value switching out cams.

The rubber bungs are interesting, I would go that route before a re-tap but on balance I would never be 100% I got all the shavings out so I will probably wont risk it

The old tower is off and I have the lifters sitting in oil waiting for me to source a new one.

Thanks again
Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just note, there's no point in getting a cam regrind with a stock motor and stock turbo. wont yield any gains
Old 10-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I believe the turbo and the NA cam's are the same. But in 89 the 2.7 I thought had the 9R cam which has a very small gains. I forgot what and where the gains were but it was the camshaft with the serial number ending in 9R that was the one to get that has these gains. But all the cam's I was told are the same other then that one. I'm probably wrong in were that 9R cam came from but I thought it was the 2.7. Someone could step in and please correct me if I'm wrong. As I'm not sure myself. And that is if you can get a deal with the cam in the housing together. Just incase...
Old 10-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Pitt944T
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Just note, there's no point in getting a cam regrind with a stock motor and stock turbo. wont yield any gains
Sorry my sig is out of date and I should have mentioned I have stock 2.5 with:

Fabspeed 3" exhaust
Fabspeed Cat delete 3"
Fabspeed turbo downpipe
Turbonetics 60-1 Hifi with K28 hotside
Teal wastgate
Lindsey Manual Boost controller
Vitesse Maf+
70lb injectors
3bar FPR

Suspension mods and some other stuff I dont remember just now. That said looking at the possible gains from a Cam i still think I will stick to stock.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitt944T
Sorry my sig is out of date and I should have mentioned I have stock 2.5 with:

Fabspeed 3" exhaust
Fabspeed Cat delete 3"
Fabspeed turbo downpipe
Turbonetics 60-1 Hifi with K28 hotside
Teal wastgate
Lindsey Manual Boost controller
Vitesse Maf+
70lb injectors
3bar FPR

Suspension mods and some other stuff I dont remember just now. That said looking at the possible gains from a Cam i still think I will stick to stock.

Thanks
That's a neat list. IMO a cam alone isn't worth it. head work + cam. yes.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:58 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
I believe the turbo and the NA cam's are the same. But in 89 the 2.7 I thought had the 9R cam which has a very small gains. I forgot what and where the gains were but it was the camshaft with the serial number ending in 9R that was the one to get that has these gains. But all the cam's I was told are the same other then that one. I'm probably wrong in were that 9R cam came from but I thought it was the 2.7. Someone could step in and please correct me if I'm wrong. As I'm not sure myself. And that is if you can get a deal with the cam in the housing together. Just incase...
there were 2 cams...
-5R and -9R

1982-1985 NA and 1986-1991 951 has the -5R, stock.
85.5-88NA has the -9R
89 NA apparently has a "-10R" but no one seems to know if the profile is different.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

09R camshaft has 1mm more exhaust lift and slightly more duration then the 05R cam shafts.

Check out the link
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...a-turbo-2.html
Old 10-27-2015, 12:54 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

So there's only one camshaft housing from 83 to 88(that's what year my Porsche parts catalog was made). Part number 944 105 205 07. That's strait from the parts and technical reference catalog. 928 cam housing are different with a part number 928 105 251 00, so don't use them if given a chance. Don't know the difference, may be the cam journal size? I don't know. But I'm sure someone here does.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Pitt944T
Intermediate

Hi so I did find a used turbo cam tower assembly locally but It's been sitting exposed a while. Turns smooth with no play but One of the follows slides in the bore but binds a little and won't come out. There is also "grit" inside the housing that might be ground up aluminum. Again I know I "should" find a better one but... Is there any way to remove the trapped lifter and clean up inside the cam tower housing. Pushing the lifter with my bringer from behind didn't work
Old 10-27-2015, 10:55 AM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pitt944T
Hi so I did find a used turbo cam tower assembly locally but It's been sitting exposed a while. Turns smooth with no play but One of the follows slides in the bore but binds a little and won't come out. There is also "grit" inside the housing that might be ground up aluminum. Again I know I "should" find a better one but... Is there any way to remove the trapped lifter and clean up inside the cam tower housing. Pushing the lifter with my bringer from behind didn't work
eBay has a bunch of cam housings, I wouldnt even mess with the one your talking about, grab a eBay one cheap, swap your cam and lifters over and reseal
Old 10-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Pitt944T
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fast924S
eBay has a bunch of cam housings, I wouldnt even mess with the one your talking about, grab a eBay one cheap, swap your cam and lifters over and reseal
Wise Advice. My local Porsche guy has a bunch of cam towers too, in fact he said I could pick out 2 in exchange for the one I originally got from him and just return any parts I didnt need... great guy

My problem is I don't really know what I am looking for, my old lifters glided in the old tower like silk. when lying porsche side down they would drop back into the tower under their own weight, porsche side up they would fall out of the tower and either way they can be spun in the tower. Is that how they should be? good or bad? I hear talk of too loose or too tight but dont really know what that means

A number of the ones that the porsche guy had would move under finger pressure, but not their own weight is that bad or good.

Sorry if these are obvious to you experienced guys. Thanks so much for your help

Quick Reply: Camshaft - I know what I "should" do but...