Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Won't run unless I pull the fuel pump fuse

Old 11-07-2018, 05:40 AM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Humboldtgrin
Regarding a leaking vacuum line, it will cause a lean issue up until a lean misfire happens. Then raw fuel dumps into the exhaust and tells the O2 sensor it’s running rich when it’s really lean. Then the DME will try to lean it out more creating more of a lean missfire issue. Also what injectors are you using? Stock 4.5 ohm injectors? If your using low impedance injectors you’ll want to use two 1 ohm resistors for each batch fire fuel injector harness. If you use low impedance injectors without resistors it will eventually overheat the DME drivers (there are only two) and basically destroy your DME. Not that this is your issue but you want to rule that out.
After reading this I went out to the car and measured the injectors to verify. I got 4ohms on my multimeter so that indicates that they are indeed stock injectors.

Thanks again for everyone clearing up the vacuum leak symptoms I had them backwards in my head thinking the car would run rich due to overcompensating for fuel. Had a duh moment and realized the car won’t add fuel if the air is unmetered.

Even though testing was good with the meter for the harnesses I pulled back every boot and inspected the connections and they look remarkable compared to what I’ve seen on other posts giving me extra peace of mind that aside from the corrosion on the harness for the speed/red sensors the wiring harness is in great shape and doesn’t have any shorts. The DME is testing fine too so I’m about 90% sure the injectors are my issue but I won’t know until I can get them tested at a speed shop. I can’t crank them on the car but when they flow test them they will be able to tell me if they were leaking/ have screwed up nozzles or worn springs. Whatever the case may be.
Old 11-19-2018, 07:53 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Hi guys.

Finally knocked out the injectors. 3/4 needed to be replaced they were so bad.

You’d think my troubles would be over but no. Same symptoms. Car refuses to start/ run.

pull the fuel pump fuse and same result, car runs until it dies. It won’t start at all unless I pull the pump fuse.

Fuel pressure is still normal.

Disconnected the AFM and the idle smoothed out beautifuly and ran for a few minutes until it died. Keep in mind AFM was replaced already it’s not the issue. Now what?

Last edited by Jacob AbuKhader; 11-19-2018 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2023, 10:19 AM
ryan_nagelkirk
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar issue. Did you ever get this resolved?
Old 12-16-2023, 12:57 PM
Jacob AbuKhader
Racer

Originally Posted by ryan_nagelkirk
I have a similar issue. Did you ever get this resolved?

I did it turned out to be the DME module itself. In fact just the other day it hit me why the DME failed in the first place.

i had gone to put gas at a different station and I used 87 rather than my usual chevron 91. I figure the ignition circuit overheated trying to compensate the ignition timing for the lower grade fuel unlit the aging chip overheated and failed.

if the car can run without any added fuel (ie) removing the pump that means it’s over fueling so much that spark or weak spark is enough to operate the engine for those few seconds.

the only way to really test this is to try a known good DME unit in the car

if you find out that’s the case I recommend going with a focus 9 dme to replace yours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Won't run unless I pull the fuel pump fuse