Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

AEM wideband help? Reads 10.0AFR constantly.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:45 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 631 Likes on 489 Posts
Default AEM wideband help? Reads 10.0AFR constantly.

Hi,
A few years back I bought a used AEM wideband setup (digital gauge + fairly new sensor) from a Rennlister. I finally got around to installing it a few months ago, but I have been having some issues with it since then.

Car is a 1985 non-turbo 944, sensor is mounted in the stock 944NA oxygen sensor location just after the 4-2-1 collector. The gauge gets its power from the car's stock narrowband-O2 sensor heating circuit. There is no narrowband sensor installed, and the "sensor heater" is an engine-on 12v source and ground.

For a week or so after initial installation the gauge seemed to work as intended. But now, when I cold-start the car the gauge starts up and flashes its number sequence and then shows 14.7 or 14.8 for about 10 seconds. After this the displayed AFR gradually goes down to 10.0 or - - - in another 10 seconds or so.

Once it says 10.0, it will remain displaying 10.0 regardless of temperature, throttle position/load or any other situation. It will read 10.0 for 3-hour freeway rides or half-mile WOT blasts.

I occasionally do dyno-testing of my car with the dyno's own Wideband in the exhaust, showing the actual fuel ratios are matching what the car's tune is asking for, so it is not a tune issue. The car runs and drives great.

I just replaced the first sensor with another brand new Bosch replacement and the gauge behaves the same way... 14.8 for 10 seconds or so, then counting down to 10.0 and staying there.

Can you guys help with what this issue could be? Could the gauge itself be faulty, or is it a wiring issue?
Old 08-05-2015, 11:10 PM
fiily
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free Air Calibration Time?

WHAT IS FREE-AIR CALIBRATION?
Some of our competitors require that you frequently perform a free-air calibration procedure to calibrate their O2 sensors. This process involves removing the sensor from the bung while still connected to the controller device, then waving the sensor in the air so it can read atmospheric O2 levels. We use Bosch 4.9 LSU sensors in our wideband controllers. Our sensors are individually laboratory-calibrated by Bosch and never require free air calibration!
Old 08-05-2015, 11:19 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

They say that their sensors don't need Free-Air calibration.
Mine is the 4.2, not the 4.9, but...

Originally Posted by AEM Website, Bosch LSU 4.2 Replacement O2 Sensor
AEM's Bosch 4.2LSU Wideband UEGO O2 replacement sensor kit includes only the sensor (with attached cable and male connector) and is intended to replace an existing mounted wideband sensor used with AEM wideband air/fuel UEGO controllers.

These sensors have a laser-etched, calibrated resistor in the sensor’s connector body. This resistor is specifically created for the exact sensor that it is attached to. Modifying this will invalidate the sensor’s output. The wideband sensor is laboratory-calibrated at the Bosch factory, accurate to 0.1 AFR and never requires free-air calibration when used with an AEM wideband AFR controller.

Accurate to 0.1 AFR
Never requires free-air calibration when used with an AEM Controller and connector plug.
Specifically designed for use with AEM Wideband UEGO controllers
Replacement sensor only
Replacement Sensor for the following AEM Wideband Controllers.

AEM Infinity Engine Management Systems
30-4100 - Digital Wideband UEGO Gauge
30-4900 - Wideband Failsafe Gauge
30-2310 - Inline Wideband UEGO Controller
30-2340 - 4-Channel Wideband UEGO Controller
30-2340-N - 4-Channel Wideband UEGO Controller - Nascar
30-5130 - Analog Wideband UEGO Gauge
30-5143 - Analog E85 Wideband UEGO Gauge
30-2320 - X-WiFi Wideband/EGT Controller
For Digital Wideband UEGO Controller Part Number 30-4110 please refer to the 30-2004 Bosch LSU 4.9 Replacement UEGO Sensor PN 30-2004.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:53 AM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everything I've read says the 4.9 correctes problems within the 4.2.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:37 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all AEM gauges - given that you replaced the sensor (hopefully with AEM replacement as opposed to Bosch direct as it is pre-calibrated), it certainly sounds like power or gauge itself - or the integrity of the wire from the sensor to the gauge.

I would pull the gauge and create a temporary circuit to your battery to see if it corrects it. If not, I'd look at and test the wire from gauge to sensor.

Once you get it sorted out, I believe you'll want to be fused for safety (not clear from your description of the circuit if you are).
Old 08-07-2015, 12:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
I have all AEM gauges - given that you replaced the sensor (hopefully with AEM replacement as opposed to Bosch direct as it is pre-calibrated), it certainly sounds like power or gauge itself - or the integrity of the wire from the sensor to the gauge.

I would pull the gauge and create a temporary circuit to your battery to see if it corrects it. If not, I'd look at and test the wire from gauge to sensor.

Once you get it sorted out, I believe you'll want to be fused for safety (not clear from your description of the circuit if you are).
This is the sensor I bought as replacement...has the same Bosch PN on the body as the sensor that came with the gauge.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231372132663

As I understand it, the NBO2 heater circuit is off the same fuse as the fuel pump so there is 12v whenever the engine (fuel pump) is running. It does not work with key on engine off, since the fuel pump does not run in "on" position"
Old 08-07-2015, 01:39 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

You got the right wire connected? There's usually one for narrow band simulation that runs 0-1v and one wideband 0-5v signal. If you are calibrated for 0-5v and only feeding it 0-1v, you would get the symptom you describe.
Old 08-07-2015, 02:49 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The Wideband is not connected to the DME at all.
As the car runs currently, the DME has no oxygen sensor input at all = open loop.

The "NBO2 heater circuit" power/ground wires are separate from the O2 sensor signal wire and were added on to California-spec cars. The NBO2 signal wire is just left unconnected. The NB-sensor heater/ground are off the fuel pump circuit via the DME relay, which makes me think it should be feeding the gauge 12v since the fuel pump should be getting 12v.

The gauge gets power from the NBO2 heater circuit (only 2 wires, + and -), and then the WBO2 sensor is plugged into/powered by the gauge only, no other wires.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:02 PM
snb13
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
The "NBO2 heater circuit" power/ground wires are separate from the O2 sensor signal wire and were added on to California-spec cars.
Just as point of clarification, I "believe" (not sure), all cars have the 2 wires and little bracket for the heater circuit. Mine does, it's originally from Boston. I worked on a buddy's, it had it too. Not sure of that car's origin, though.
Old 08-07-2015, 03:59 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by snb13
Just as point of clarification, I "believe" (not sure), all cars have the 2 wires and little bracket for the heater circuit. Mine does, it's originally from Boston. I worked on a buddy's, it had it too. Not sure of that car's origin, though.
I think you might be right re: the 951 since that was supposed to be a "world" emissions car. Mine is early NA which still distinguished USA/ROW/California specs.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:09 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure on the NA, but any chance that this location is too hot for wideband and you're smoking these sensors? You can go to AEM's site and pull the manual for your gauge and see their guidance.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:12 PM
snb13
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
I think you might be right re: the 951 since that was supposed to be a "world" emissions car. Mine is early NA which still distinguished USA/ROW/California specs.
No, I mean all. Mine's an '83, my buddy's is an '84.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:31 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
Not sure on the NA, but any chance that this location is too hot for wideband and you're smoking these sensors? You can go to AEM's site and pull the manual for your gauge and see their guidance.
Should be just fine, it's the stock NBO2 sensor bung on the pipe after the 2-1 merge.
Even Rogue_Ant said his NA has the WBO2 there without issue.
But the brand-new sensor (replaced before I started this thread, turned on the car for 1 minute to check function and just idled in the driveway) couldn't have gotten hot enough to fry.

Originally Posted by snb13
No, I mean all. Mine's an '83, my buddy's is an '84.
Interesting, didn't know that !
Old 08-12-2015, 06:02 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 34 Posts

Where do you have it grounded? I've had problems with them if you don't ground them directly to the engine (I'd use the intake manifold).
Old 08-12-2015, 06:48 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Where do you have it grounded? I've had problems with them if you don't ground them directly to the engine (I'd use the intake manifold).
It's grounded by the NBO2 sensor heater circuit too. I just put a matching connector on the gauge power/ground wires and plugged it in.
Today after work I'll mess with the wiring and report back. I haven't driven the 944 in a week, or even pulled the cover off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AEM wideband help? Reads 10.0AFR constantly.