Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blown CV axle/bearing, slipping spline?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 11:29 PM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown CV axle/bearing, slipping spline?

2.8 liter, big turbo, a lot of downshifting and stomping on the throttle on the highway action. I've been expecting to blow some CV joints while messing around anyway, here's hoping...

Clicking sound coming from left rear. Gets louder when accelerating, stays loud at high speed while in gear. Still clicks out of gear; reason for me to believe it's rotationally related. Seems worse under throttle, as if something is slipping around to cause the clicking. Other than the clicking, the car doesn't really drive like it's mechanically ****ed or anything, so I've been ruling out the transmission.

I have worn down a CV axle & bearing before and familiar with the oncoming symptoms of that (clicking only when turning), but I have never blown a bearing/axle/spline outright and don't know what to look for, but I'd assume it'd click like a mother****er if you did and judging by my driving at the time, I wouldn't be surprised if that's what happened.

I'm not concerned with the specific problem, just whether or not I will be replacing/rebuilding the CV axle and junk, or if I should be looking elsewhere to diagnose this.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:39 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Definitely a CV. The symptoms are very common.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:03 AM
hevquip
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well as long as I didn't blow something in the tranny and as long as it's a job I can do in my buddy's driveway...

I was actually just looking over a thread a few pages back about CV axle replacements, I think it was something like $103 for the pair that someone had found? I might just buy up several pairs of those at that price and deal with blowing throwing them here and there; I'll have to shop around to see what's best I suppose.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:13 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hevquip
Well as long as I didn't blow something in the tranny and as long as it's a job I can do in my buddy's driveway...

I was actually just looking over a thread a few pages back about CV axle replacements, I think it was something like $103 for the pair that someone had found? I might just buy up several pairs of those at that price and deal with blowing throwing them here and there; I'll have to shop around to see what's best I suppose.
I have been running these:

EMPI 90-6805 CV Half-Shaft Assembly

They were cheap and work well.
Old 07-11-2015, 02:21 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

I have a new, in the box pair of the EMPI 90-6805 CV Half-Shaft Assemblies that I no longer have a use for. Located in the Midwest, PM me if your interested.

Quick Reply: Blown CV axle/bearing, slipping spline?