Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Quiet muffler reccomendations

Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quiet muffler reccomendations

Hi guys,
Finally got to the point of getting my old 944 NA racecar started with the newly installed turbo motor. Aftermarket turbo (ball bearing-A/R .063, and #10 hot side with P trim) and Vitesse MAF & 3" exhaust. Still a few things to get working properly before it will move under its own power (Trying to mount the Quest alternator where the AC compressor was with the original mount not an AC delete bracket) and get the Chris White radiator in. When I do start it in my garage I can't rev it much for fear of neighbors coming over with pitchforks and torches (not to mention the evil eye from my wife). It has a custom 3" pipe from the turbo exhaust pipe to the back with a slip fit straight through (magnaflow?) muffler that is held on with a couple of springs. I'm looking for something that I can use for when its in the garage or when I need to load onto the trailer on my street which will substantially quiet the thing down. Also I'll need to be much quieter at tracks like Laguna Seca that limit sound. Any recommendations?
TIA,
Jay
Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 AM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

I have 3 inch costume pipe with two magnaflow straight through resonators and the car is really quiet, because the turbo silences the most of the exhaust noise. If you need a quiet car just for loading on trailer, you can just put something on the exhaust tip or in the exhaust at that moment that will make the car silent.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:46 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I have the straight-thru Magnaflow on my car, and though I've never measured it, I don't think you'd have a problem passing sound limits.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Dansk are well designed and very well made
Old 07-05-2015, 02:45 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

the turbo over n/a is already helping to get you there....

2 stage exhaust is your best option. largest resonator you can stuff in there + large Vibrant, Magnaflow or Borla
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have any of the previous posters done a before and after exhaust noise comparison with a #8 hotside vs a #10 hotside?

The #10 hotside does a lot less muffling than the #8, so as a result my 3" straight through exhaust that was mildly loud became unbearably loud and forced me to add a muffler and resonator.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:51 AM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by topley
Hi guys, Finally got to the point of getting my old 944 NA racecar started with the newly installed turbo motor. Aftermarket turbo (ball bearing-A/R .063, and #10 hot side with P trim) and Vitesse MAF & 3" exhaust. Still a few things to get working properly before it will move under its own power (Trying to mount the Quest alternator where the AC compressor was with the original mount not an AC delete bracket) and get the Chris White radiator in. When I do start it in my garage I can't rev it much for fear of neighbors coming over with pitchforks and torches (not to mention the evil eye from my wife). It has a custom 3" pipe from the turbo exhaust pipe to the back with a slip fit straight through (magnaflow?) muffler that is held on with a couple of springs. I'm looking for something that I can use for when its in the garage or when I need to load onto the trailer on my street which will substantially quiet the thing down. Also I'll need to be much quieter at tracks like Laguna Seca that limit sound. Any recommendations? TIA, Jay
I could not agree more with Jay.

I purchased a flow through Magnaflow and at first I did not mind the sound. But that was when I just drove the car on short runs on the weekend. Now that it is summer and I am driving it more often and on longer trips the noise level and drone wears you out. I have a decibel meter app on my iPhone. A bone stock 968 hits 70 DB measured in the cabin at speed. My turbo with the Magnaflow is 80 DB at idle! And hits 100 DB at speed!

As a point of reference the DB meter rates an average quiet home at 30 DB and a loud motorcycle (think Harley) at 100 DB! I entered a concourse and when I drove up to the parker, he said "race car group?" So I am also looking to replace the Magnaflow and am open to suggestions.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Has anyone seen the variable muffler? With a remote you can open a baffle and make it strait they or close the baffle and have it nice and quite. Although I don't know how much it may weigh? I have a strait thru (but baffled like a pistol silencer) borla on mine and it's not that bad. But my friend say it's load so I don't know. It sounds good to me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Quiet muffler reccomendations