Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Throttle body reseal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:41 PM
zogster
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Throttle body reseal?

I'm just in the process of doing a throttle body reseal, and having got to the point of removing the two screws that hold the throttle plate on to the shaft I'm having second thoughts - advice appreciated!

I'm hesitating because I hadn't realised how firmly they're secured by the tip of the screws being flattening against the shaft. I put a couple of counter-clockwise turns on one of them, then looked at the reverse side and wondered if I should really be going through with all this.

The background is that I've just replaced AOS seals, and as so much other stuff had to come out I thought I might as well do the throttle body reseal also, to eliminate all possible sources of an intermittent high idle condition, poor furl economy and a couple of backfire + sudden power loss incidents.

So bottom line: I'm not sure that the throttle needs the reseal, and I'm doing it partly as a 'while I'm in there' thing, so maybe it's best left well alone. On the other hand, a 1987 944T with over 200,000 miles on it would probably feel the benefit. Hmmmmm...
Old 04-17-2015, 10:33 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The big seal is more the leak area. At least I've found
Old 04-17-2015, 10:44 PM
zogster
Pro

You mean the large o-ring where the throttle body joins the inlet manifold?

I suppose I could change only that and the TPS o-ring for now, to keep things simple...
Old 04-17-2015, 10:48 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in 951 land, and spend weeks trying to put humpty dumpty back together, with packages from paragon and pelican showing up every other day until you do.
Old 04-17-2015, 11:05 PM
zogster
Pro

Thanks Morpheus! Neat shades, btw

I've definitely disappeared down some kind of hole... I mean, having to remove inlet manifold, AFM and air filter box, J-boot, turbocharger, a bunch of heat shields etc, just to change two rubber o-rings that might not even be leaking. It's like a greasy, rusty Chinese puzzle in there…
Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I can sympathize. .. and I'm sure your hands look like you've been shoving them inside a cheese grater repeatedly. And then the unexpected injuries, like recently using the big socket adapter which fits around the o2 sensor... wrench slips and five pounds of adapter comes flying down and hits me on the eye socket. I keep working and wonder what is dripping on me from the car... my own blood and lots of it. Why the hell do we keep going back for more?
Old 04-18-2015, 12:33 AM
zogster
Pro

Ooof, that's a nasty one dude...
Old 04-20-2015, 01:37 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
You take the blue pill, the story ends. You wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill, you stay in 951 land, and spend weeks trying to put humpty dumpty back together, with packages from paragon and pelican showing up every other day until you do.
I mean, I was going to chime in, but how do I follow up something like this?
Well said, well said.

-Luccia
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Quick Reply: Throttle body reseal?