Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Damn.. That looks sweet Pauly!
Thanks Bas,

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
wheels look great Pauly. Be interesting to see how they effect the handling. Mine came squared off and pushed something shocking, but tyres were crap and mismatched front to rear
Cheers Bruce, i've been for a drive. That's about it. I'm slightly worried about the guard hitting the wheel on cornering. so i haven't pushed it yet.

What i will do is lower the front a lot and see the clearance i have while i release the hoist on full wheel lock.

Thoughts on tyres:
The noise isn't bad. Typical semi slick road noise, but very manageable.
It drives very smooth on the road and turns with ease. i am liking them.
Old 02-18-2015, 06:52 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. ;-) Looks great!
Old 02-18-2015, 07:03 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Brings a nostalgic tear to my eye. ;-) Looks great!
Let's not forget, you're the reason why i fell in love with these wheels in black

Might go out tonight and take some snaps with my DSLR.
Old 02-18-2015, 07:59 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
Let's not forget, you're the reason why i fell in love with these wheels in black

Might go out tonight and take some snaps with my DSLR.
Then my work here is done.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:06 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Then my work here is done.
hahah!

I don't know if you'll remember, but how much clearance did you have from the guards?

I'm scared if they're going to rub in hard cornering. I'm also going to bump up the compression on the KWs i think.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:57 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm glad to see those wheels finally getting some use!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:43 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

I doubt they'll rub. Even so, it will be minor and with witness marks. You'll soon know. I'd forgotten you'd bought them from Steve. Wonder how he's going???
Old 02-19-2015, 05:10 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dubai944
I'm glad to see those wheels finally getting some use!
I know! I've had issues with the car popping up so i had to keep pushing them back. i said to my self... fix the suspension first as the front struts went bad, then put the wheels on. Now i've noticed a slight knock while turning right, i think it's the sway bar end bushing, they look pretty bad.

I doubt they'll rub. Even so, it will be minor and with witness marks. You'll soon know. I'd forgotten you'd bought them from Steve. Wonder how he's going???
I hope not. or i'll dial in more camber. I'm just taking it easy slowly, giving it more.
Yep Steves!
Did you post this with out seeing his post? LOL or intentional ha.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:50 AM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonder how he's going???
He's not...Scheming about Mozez heads and Harrop manifolds, but not doing much with the car as I am, ironically and unexpectedly, back in UAE for an extended period with the car locked up in Oz. Will be playing with Radicals while I'm here to stay interested though
Old 02-19-2015, 08:58 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Hmm small amount of rub, Going to dial in some more camber with the eccentric bolts. no camber plates just yet.

I'll mark them in case i cannot get enough and machine the spacers more.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:07 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
265 Square setup.

We machined the front spacers 2mm. clearance is good..

here's some quick photos.

Yeah they look great. I have the same wheels, but in a silver color. I am debating if i should get them painted black. Next time don't post up pictures like this thanks
Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by reno808
Yeah they look great. I have the same wheels, but in a silver color. I am debating if i should get them painted black. Next time don't post up pictures like this thanks
Well look out for the next thread tonight or tomorrow don't open it haha
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM
topley
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gotta say your wheels look great. Not to hijack, but I have a question that fits this header...
Upgrading the racecar and would love to use a square setup for rotation/tire life. I'm putting widebody fenders on an 86 suspension setup car (85.5 spec racecar that I'm putting a turbo motor into... long story) At any rate the turbo trans I have available right now is not an LSD unit. Should I be concerned with being able to put down 300+ WHP without the car oversteering badly without a staggered setup? I'm thinking 11" wheels with a small spacer for the rears. While I plan to upgrade the suspension and trans in the future it's not in the budget this year... (car is setup w/ spec suspension currently, Koni adjustables with 450lb springs front and 30MM torsions rear, welt anti roll bars F/R Camber plates etc...)
Thanks,
Jay
Old 02-26-2015, 01:10 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by topley
Gotta say your wheels look great. Not to hijack, but I have a question that fits this header...
Upgrading the racecar and would love to use a square setup for rotation/tire life. I'm putting widebody fenders on an 86 suspension setup car (85.5 spec racecar that I'm putting a turbo motor into... long story) At any rate the turbo trans I have available right now is not an LSD unit. Should I be concerned with being able to put down 300+ WHP without the car oversteering badly without a staggered setup? I'm thinking 11" wheels with a small spacer for the rears. While I plan to upgrade the suspension and trans in the future it's not in the budget this year... (car is setup w/ spec suspension currently, Koni adjustables with 450lb springs front and 30MM torsions rear, welt anti roll bars F/R Camber plates etc...)
Thanks,
Jay
This may seem a little hamfisted, but I would stick the widest, stickiest tires possible on the car first. Next, I would pick good spring rates. You can dial in oversteer or dial it out with suspension and alignment settings. Later on even some aero.

As for traction and a lack of LSD, you'll need to learn how to control the accelerator so that you don't lose speed exiting corners. Once you do get a LSD, you can get on the throttle a little earlier.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
odb812
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by topley
Thanks,
Jay
What Lee's saying is correct: unless dictated by class, you should design your suspension around wheel/tire package and design aero around wheel/tire/suspension. That being said, I think you could still make things work with your setup with the adjustable sway bars. Try stiffening the front bar and softening the rear. Worst case, you can disconnect the rear bar. That would probably help with your lack of LSD, too.

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
wheels look great Pauly. Be interesting to see how they effect the handling. Mine came squared off and pushed something shocking, but tyres were crap and mismatched front to rear
This doesn't make any sense. Wider front tires will make a car tend to oversteer more at the limit given the same driver inputs. However, adding a wider front tire will also make the steering feel slow and numb, which could be what you are feeling unless it was the mismatched tires. Either way, readers should know that going to non staggered wheels and tires will not make a car push that does not already push.

Quick Reply: Square or Staggered tyre setup?