Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intermittently dying car

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 12:44 AM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like you might have a cracked solder joint on your DME, my car exhibited similar symptoms at one point.

Take a read through this thread I started on how to repair the DME, hopefully it will be of help to you:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ed-w-pics.html
Old 01-16-2015, 10:25 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds pretty likely to me. I'll dig in there over the weekend and see what I can find. Nice write up, I always like pictures when diving into something new.
Old 01-17-2015, 06:55 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy way to rule out anything going on with the DME or the speed/reference sensors & their connections is to confirm that you are getting a signal AT THE COIL.

1) Remove your glovebox light assembly (assuming it works).
2) Connect long wires (nothing special required) from the two DME connections on the coil to the glovebox light assembly, so that you can place the light where it's easily visible when cranking the car.
3) When you crank, if the coil is getting a signal, the glovebox light should flash.

This is a really easy test. Try this and report back.

Also, let us know if you have the original chip in the DME or if it has ever been replaced.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:52 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Greg, you are the man. I got the DME loose and knocked on it really good and it started running. That was enough for me to proceed. I took it apart and based on the article you linked I went straight to those solder joints and looking closely they were indeed cracked. I went back out and with the DME apart plugged it back in. Tapping those joints I could turn the car on and off. I re-soldered those connections and tried again and it's solid as a rock. I guess only time will tell for certain, but I feel a good deal of confidence that I found the culprit. I'll report back (naturally) if it stops running again, but I'm so excited to get it back on the road. Thanks to everyone!

Oh, and I'll certainly hold on to that bit of information about testing Johnathon. I doubt I've seen the last gremlin for this car! I still have to figure out why the car cuts out at moderate throttle but does fantastic cruising at 5psi or and doesn't seem as bad at WOT. But at least it runs!
Old 01-17-2015, 10:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Henry
Greg, you are the man. I got the DME loose and knocked on it really good and it started running. That was enough for me to proceed. I took it apart and based on the article you linked I went straight to those solder joints and looking closely they were indeed cracked. I went back out and with the DME apart plugged it back in. Tapping those joints I could turn the car on and off. I re-soldered those connections and tried again and it's solid as a rock. I guess only time will tell for certain, but I feel a good deal of confidence that I found the culprit. I'll report back (naturally) if it stops running again, but I'm so excited to get it back on the road. Thanks to everyone!

Oh, and I'll certainly hold on to that bit of information about testing Johnathon. I doubt I've seen the last gremlin for this car! I still have to figure out why the car cuts out at moderate throttle but does fantastic cruising at 5psi or and doesn't seem as bad at WOT. But at least it runs!
Awesome--congrats! That can be an infuriating fault to find, but I share your confidence that you found that little gremlin...!
Old 01-17-2015, 11:21 PM
944Phil
Racer

Yay! Good job!!!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:44 AM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Drove a bunch over the weekend and into work today and still running. I'll drive it all week to build confidence before driving it very far, but encouraged for sure.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:54 PM
gregeast
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Outstanding Chuck, fingers crossed!

I think it took me a good two weeks before I really believed after I did mine, lol.

Quick Reply: Intermittently dying car